What's new

Being Hardworking should be Obsolete?

Kaplok Kaplok

Forum Veteran
Elite
Reaction
One of the most regarded value ingrained in the Filipino psyche is the value of being "hardworking". Partly because the Philippines still has it's third world country mentality taught to slaves, that if you work hard, you will be rewarded.

While we will hear many stories of this being true, we fail to consider the confirmation biases of the stories we hear. We assume that successful people are successful because they are hardworking, ignoring the other side of this belief: poor people are lazy, while they may have failed despite working hard. There's a vast majority of hardworkers who don't make it. We tend to underestimate the role of lady luck to put merit on our hard work.

Less work is better for economy

Looking at a society with an economical perspective, it is not the "hardworking"-ness of the people that produces overall economical prosperity. It might even be counterproductive.

The 'flow' of the economy is produced by people spending their money on leisurely activities. There is less spending when people are in their jobsites. Spending happens when people are on their days/hours off of their job. Not when people are working and saving their earnings in banks.

Bad economy produces poor people, poor people tend to have faith on hard work, hardworkingness produces bad economy. It becomes a vicious cycle.

Hardworking-ness Corrupts the Universities

In an Ideal world, universities were meant for people who have passion on specific knowledge. They pay for that knowledge to apply it on a work of passion.

However, hard work mentality has transformed the university into a factory to produce people who will fit into available employers - the 'bosses'. Students go to university to get a piece of paper to prove the 'bosses' that they will be loyal and hardworking. "Tyaga lang makakatapos kadin."

And if that was the case, why should the student pay for the tuition? Isn't it more fitting to charge the employer if they are the prime benefactor? A lot of the graduates end up in positions lower than their qualifications anyway.

Besides that, due to lack of passion and the underpaid nature of industries, corruption has been very rampant in most walks of life. May it be actual government corruption or some business scheme created by somebody who has some diploma to prove their legitimacy. Diplomas have become a liscense to abuse the system.

Less Work Allows Pursuit of Sciences and Arts

When societies are free from the grasps of poverty and the false faith in hard work, it produces people who has time to pursue science and arts. This is why prosperous countries are on the lead when it comes to technological advancements and pop culture.
Philippines is deeply lacking on this area. The hardworker remains as the archetype of success. But in reality, the hardworker simply does what others do not want to do, for the off chance of being recognized and appreciated for their efforts.

Working Smart wins over Working Hard

The trend of society when it comes to work since the industrial times is towards efficiency. Invention has always pushed us toward working less for more result. Manifacturing, agriculture, and most labor intensive tasks has been passed on to robots. And now, with the rise of machine learning and A.I., even the lighter tasks or mental tasks will slowly be passed on to computers.
It is not a matter of "if", but "when" this happens.
Richer countries might provide some sort of universal basic income, embracing the fact that some people does not have to work anymore. Their citizens will be free to pursue whatever lifestyle they want. I wonder what Philippines would be on board on a similar system. Are we going to be one of these countries? Or do we continue working on unwanted jobs - impoverished, non-passionate, stagnant and underapreciated - to maintain the trait we have valued so much, being hardworking...

This piece took me a great deal of going against my biases, so I apologize if some ideas are all over the place. But like always,

thank you for reading.

Last edited:
it is because you assumed that hardwork only covers physical work, graduates ending in physical work are not hardworking at all, they need to grind their minds HARD to become less idiot, that's hardwork too

it is because you assumed that hardwork only covers physical work, graduates ending in physical work are not hardworking at all, they need to grind their minds HARD to become less idiot, that's hardwork too
What made you think that I assumed that? During writing, i can assure you i had that in mind.

Maybe you just want to think that because it is easier to disagree with the article that way.
Or maybe, you did not understand the article.

Last edited:
What made you think that I assumed that? During writing, i can assure you i had that in mind.

Maybe you just want to think that because it is easier to disagree with the article that way.
Or maybe, you did not understand the article.
so bakit mo nga ginawang example ng hardwork yung graduates landing on low paying jobs?

so bakit mo nga ginawang example ng hardwork yung graduates landing on low paying jobs?
Although hindi ko makita kung saan ko sinabi yan, pero i dont see what is wrong if I did? Some people who worked hard during their studies can still land on a low paying job diba? Or are you one of the believer that that if you are on a low paying job it means you are not a hardworking person?

While we will hear many stories of this being true, we fail to consider the confirmation biases of the stories we hear. We assume that successful people are successful because they are hardworking, ignoring the other side of this belief: poor people are lazy, while they may have failed despite working hard. There's a vast majority of hardworkers who don't make it. We tend to underestimate the role of lady luck to put merit on our hard work.

Nice analogy. For me hard work and working smart are ingredients of one's success. Interrelated but powerful when you combine the two aspects of work methodology. Trip ko lang sabihin. Haha.

The 'flow' of the economy is produced by people spending their money on leisurely activities. There is less spending when people are in their jobsites. Spending happens when people are on their days/hours off of their job. Not when people are working and saving their earnings in banks.
spending happens when people have money to spend and something to spend it with,
did you know banks lend money to people not just take.

this entire argument is just false, banks reinvest and workers work because they want something in return, its called a trade.

In an Ideal world, universities were meant for people who have passion on specific knowledge. They pay for that knowledge to apply it on a work of passion.

However, hard work mentality has transformed the university into a factory to produce people who will fit into available employers - the 'bosses'. Students go to university to get a piece of paper to prove the 'bosses' that they will be loyal and hardworking. "Tyaga lang makakatapos kadin."

And if that was the case, why should the student pay for the tuition? Isn't it more fitting to charge the employer if they are the prime benefactor? A lot of the graduates end up in positions lower than their qualifications anyway.
This happens, its called a scholarship, TESDA offers scholarships for industries that needs workers, some big businesses also offers scholarships to students that pursues fields that they need workers for.

if you want to pursue your passion you can take what ever course you want, you can either pay for it, or look for a scholarship.

When societies are free from the grasps of poverty and the false faith in hard work, it produces people who has time to pursue science and arts. This is why prosperous countries are on the lead when it comes to technological advancements and pop culture.
Philippines is deeply lacking on this area. The hardworker remains as the archetype of success. But in reality, the hardworker simply does what others do not want to do, for the off chance of being recognized and appreciated for their efforts.
did you know construction workers build infrastructures that houses labs, servers, equipment's and offices that people who pursue science and arts use, farmers produces food that they eat, and service crews clean and maintain said infrastructures.

hardworkers are recognized and appreciated because we need more of them.

Although hindi ko makita kung saan ko sinabi yan, pero i dont see what is wrong if I did? Some people who worked hard during their studies can still land on a low paying job diba? Or are you one of the believer that that if you are on a low paying job it means you are not a hardworking person?
yung point mo kasi is hardwork is not the key at nag present ka ng mga reasons mo at ginawa mong rason ang graduates landing on low pay jobs to show na hardwork is not equal to glory, so hardwork nga para sa iyo ang mag land sa low paying job and it showed no glory, kaya i attacked yung portion na hardworking iyong mga graduates that landed on landed on low paying jobs

yung point mo kasi is hardwork is not the key at nag present ka ng mga reasons mo at ginawa mong rason ang graduates landing on low pay jobs to show na hardwork is not equal to glory, so hardwork nga para sa iyo ang mag land sa low paying job and it showed no glory, kaya i attacked yung portion na hardworking iyong mga graduates that landed on landed on low paying jobs
You definitely missed the point.

spending happens when people have money to spend and something to spend it with,
did you know banks lend money to people not just take.

this entire argument is just false, banks reinvest and workers work because they want something in return, its called a trade.
I admit may butas talga ung logic jan sa area. I intended to create another paragraph jan discussion employment as a trade wherein we trade our time for money, and the efficiency of it all, questioning if we really have to work 8-10hrs in a day. Pero like I said at the end, mejo sabog ang mga ideas.
This happens, its called a scholarship, TESDA offers scholarships for industries that needs workers, some big businesses also offers scholarships to students that pursues fields that they need workers for.

if you want to pursue your passion you can take what ever course you want, you can either pay for it, or look for a scholarship.
Is that really the reality for most filipinos? If it was that easy, why is it mas marami padin ang hindi successful.

did you know construction workers build infrastructures that houses labs, servers, equipment's and offices that people who pursue science and arts use, farmers produces food that they eat, and service crews clean and maintain said infrastructures.

hardworkers are recognized and appreciated because we need more of them.
I know. But, do really recognize hardworking people? Or do we just show that we recognize and appreciate, because we need them until we find a way to replace them?

Last edited:
Is that really the reality for most filipinos? If it was that easy, why is it mas marami padin ang hindi successful.
hindi lahat na bibigyan ng opportunity for success, yung iba hindi kaya ang pressure, yung iba naman hindi na abot ng modernisasyun.

I know. But, do really recognize hardworking people? Or do we just show that we recognize and appreciate, because we need them until we find a way to replace them?
thats the point naman diba, kaya tayo nag mo-modernize para ang quality of life natin ma improve, so the next generation can focus on what they want instead of what they need.

really? without any explanation papaanong na-miss?
Ikaw muna mag explain kung saan mo nakuha mga sinasabi mo. Ung comment mo kasi mukhang intended para sa ibang topic e.

Nice analogy. For me hard work and working smart are ingredients of one's success. Interrelated but powerful when you combine the two aspects of work methodology.
Tama nmn. Just trying to be one sided, tpos opposite ng values ko.

Last edited:
Okay im exaggerating. Pero explain mo padin kung anong arguement sa post kina-counter mo with that.

Last edited:
So anong part argument sa post galing yan?

Back