What's new

Closed The alphabet (1968)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Sick

Eternal Poster
Established
Reaction
What if I told you that this ain't your typical ABCs but rather a nightmarish one? Yeah sure, singing ABCs are quite fun especially when we were in kindergarten, right? But this one's different.

The Alphabet, a four-minute experimental film, was directed by David Lynch and came in theaters in the year 1968. It featured a different tune of the 'Alphabet Song' which was sung by Robert Chadwick. The short film starred Lynch's wife, Peggy Lynch, who played as The Girl and was chanting the alphabet to a series of images of horses before dying at the end by hemorrhaging blood all over her bed sheets. To make the film a bit more weirder, Lynch used a broken Uher tape recorder to record the sound of his baby daughter Jennifer crying, creating a distorted sound that Lynch felt to be particularly effective for the film.

According to David Lynch, the film was inspired by her wife’s niece who was having a bad dream one night and was saying the alphabet in her sleep in a tormented way. So that’s sort of what started The Alphabet going while the rest of it was just subconscious.

As for me, after watching it, I think that this one's like a lost episode from one of your favorite cartoons. Kinda' disturbing and weird. I never would have guessed that mere letters could appear to be so creepy. Cheers to David Lynch for that.

The film's just right below this article. Care to watch it and share your thoughts? But make sure you're not gonna have a bathroom excursion later on.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Status
Not open for further replies.