poems

Poetry (derived from the Greek poiesis, "making"), also called verse, is a form of literature that uses aesthetic and often rhythmic qualities of language − such as phonaesthetics, sound symbolism, and metre − to evoke meanings in addition to, or in place of, a prosaic ostensible meaning. A poem is a literary composition, written by a poet, using this principle.
Poetry has a long and varied history, evolving differentially across the globe. It dates back at least to prehistoric times with hunting poetry in Africa and to panegyric and elegiac court poetry of the empires of the Nile, Niger, and Volta River valleys. Some of the earliest written poetry in Africa occurs among the Pyramid Texts written during the 25th century BCE. The earliest surviving Western Asian epic poetry, the Epic of Gilgamesh, was written in Sumerian.
Early poems in the Eurasian continent evolved from folk songs such as the Chinese Shijing, as well as religious hymns (the Sanskrit Rigveda, the Zoroastrian Gathas, the Hurrian songs, and the Hebrew Psalms); or from a need to retell oral epics, as with the Egyptian Story of Sinuhe, the Indian epic poetry, and the Homeric epics, the Iliad and the Odyssey. Ancient Greek attempts to define poetry, such as Aristotle's Poetics, focused on the uses of speech in rhetoric, drama, song, and comedy. Later attempts concentrated on features such as repetition, verse form, and rhyme, and emphasized the aesthetics which distinguish poetry from more objectively-informative prosaic writing.
Poetry uses forms and conventions to suggest differential interpretations of words, or to evoke emotive responses. Devices such as assonance, alliteration, onomatopoeia, and rhythm may convey musical or incantatory effects. The use of ambiguity, symbolism, irony, and other stylistic elements of poetic diction often leaves a poem open to multiple interpretations. Similarly, figures of speech such as metaphor, simile, and metonymy establish a resonance between otherwise disparate images—a layering of meanings, forming connections previously not perceived. Kindred forms of resonance may exist, between individual verses, in their patterns of rhyme or rhythm.
Some poetry types are unique to particular cultures and genres and respond to characteristics of the language in which the poet writes. Readers accustomed to identifying poetry with Dante, Goethe, Mickiewicz, or Rumi may think of it as written in lines based on rhyme and regular meter. There are, however, traditions, such as Biblical poetry, that use other means to create rhythm and euphony. Much modern poetry reflects a critique of poetic tradition, testing the principle of euphony itself or altogether forgoing rhyme or set rhythm.
In an increasingly globalized world, poets often adapt forms, styles, and techniques from diverse cultures and languages. Poets have contributed to the evolution of the linguistic, expressive, and utilitarian qualities of their languages.
A Western cultural tradition (extending at least from Homer to Rilke) associates the production of poetry with inspiration – often by a Muse (either classical or contemporary).
In many poems, the lyrics are spoken by a character, who is called the speaker. This concept differentiates the speaker (character) from the poet (author), which is usually an important distinction: for example, if the poem runs I killed a man in Reno, it is the speaker who is the murderer, not the poet himself.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
  1. A

I wrote 100 poems for her birthday, print or hand written?

Hello! I'm here asking for advice if I should just print out or write manually my poems for my girlfriends birthday which is tomorrow, January 3. I started writing these poems on December 20 which was our 14th Monthsary. I feel like I already put so much effort on the poems itself that I...
  2. I

Poems My Poems

• Finding Purpose • A War In My Head • Unsaid Love • Happiness
  3. B

Trivia Die Alone

If you die alone in the Netherlands, someone will write you a poem and recite it at your funeral For those lonely folk who pass away with no next of kin and no one to claim them at death, there will be at least one person at their funeral: a poet. In response to these so-called "lonely...
  4. N

Poems E-book

Palapag naman kung may e-books kayo ng mga poems. Salamats
  5. K

The echoes of existence pt.1

Short poem lang po hehehe. Sana magandahan kayo. Open din po for feedback and suggestions. Hidden content
  6. P

Poems She was a Silhoutte

She was like a silhoutte in a quite room, gazing in the mirror,her darkness completely leak through it, stuck in the midst,nowhere to hide nowhere to go, no one noticed her polchritude in this temporary abode. She felt withered and loathsome of visage, in her troublous mind she was like...
  7. P

Poems Pain

When there are no words to explain, and all you felt was pain, when actions seems obscure, and it feels like a torture, That's the saddest thing of truly believing, the lies you keep creating, the broken promises,scattered like ashes, left alone feeling empty ,without any sympathy, Why is...
  8. P

Poems Ulan

Sa bawat pagdilim ng kalangitan at sa bawat pagpatak ng ulan, may nakakubling hinanakit at kalungkutan, isipa'y nagliwaliw, nakatanaw sa kawalan, baki't ganito ang bigat na nararamdaman. Bakit kay hirap mabura ang mga mapait na ala-ala, at sa tuwing umuulan pumapatak din ang luha, silakbo ng...
  9. P

Poems Before I...

Before I became strong, I knew what it was like To be weak, How difficult it is to love yourself, To find the wholeness that you seek. Before I knew the light, I have had my fair share of darkness, too, Where my world fell into a hopelessness And I didn't know how to get through. For I have...
  10. K

Closed Life On Earth

Unknown lands. bells.lights.quietude. a labyrinth of words, savage truth. A piece of amber a drop of water. (water from the beginning) the round belly, the belly of secrets I'm afraid of losing my withered gardens, wrinkled parents and the last summer of the drowning island Fear infinity...
  11. G

Closed Magandang Nakaraan

Babangon ako, mulat na aking mga mata, Ngunit puso't isip ko, bigla nalang natulala. Naaalala ang nakaraan na gigising kasama ka, Kakain at mag uusap, tunay tayong maligaya. Saan tayo nagkamali't biglang nawala ang lahat, Mga alaala natin, ayaw ko sanang kumupas. Bakit nagtapos? Bakit ka...
  12. G

Closed Ending Soon by God Kent

I am miserable, I know I'm afraid to stay, afraid to let go. Staying means being able to suffer for so long, But letting go, doesn't even mean an escape I can bear to move on. Life is a choice that we make. Either you end it or cherish it's for you to take. I just don't want to suffer no more...
  13. G

Closed Makakalimot Din

Lahat ng aking gawin, may halong pilit, may halong sakit Minsan di ko na batid, pakiramdam ko'y puso'y napipilipit Sabi ko sa sarili, kaunting araw na lang, masasanay ka rin Masasanay ka ring masaktan, hanggang sa wala ka nang maramdaman. Tipong ang sakit sakit na pero wala nang isasakit pa...
  14. G

Closed Hindi na tulad noon

Di na kita mahal, pasensya na Biglang nawala aking pagsinta, Di naman ako naghanap ng iba, Biglang isang araw, lahat ay wala na. Nasanay lang siguro ako na mag-isa, Nasasaktan pero sayo'y di pinahalata, Ngayon, pag ibig ko sayo ay pawang nakaraan na, Pasensya ka na, at bigla itong nawala. Di...
  15. G

Closed Iniwan

Malamang ngayon ay masaya ka na sa iba, Kung ituring mo ko parang di tayo nagkakilala, Mahal naman kita, pero bumitaw ka't lumayo, Sa dami ng problema, ika'y biglang sumuko. Di ko alam kung tama ka't mali ako, O mahina ka't malakas ako. Nung sumuko ka, kumakapit pa ako, Hirap maiwang lumalaban...
  16. G

Closed Ang paskong di sasapit

Ang paskong di masaya, Mag isa, walang kasama, Si nanay, naghahanap buhay, Kapag may problema, wala akong karamay. Si tatay na sumakabilang bahay, Laging wala, ako na'y nasanay. Tuwing pasko, lungkot lang nararamdaman ko, Akala ko sasaya, umaasang liligaya, yan ang pangarap ko. Saan hahagilap...
  17. G

Closed Mata ko'y sa iyo lang

Hindi ko akalaing mawawala ka, Oras ko'y naubos kakahanap ng iba. Akala ko ika'y balewala sa akin, Ngunit ng ika'y lumisan, sumakit ng todo itong damdamin. Hindi ko pinahalagahan ang iyong presenya, Nagulat na lang ako nang bigla kang dumistansya, Patawad na, bumalik ka naman, kailangan kita...
  18. G

Closed Kitil

Madalas ako'y mag-isa, Tila ba ako'y may sumpa. Kinakain ng dilim, nilalayo sa liwanag, Kasiyahang gusto di ko na maaninag. Ayaw akong pakinggan, ayaw akong pansinin, Ang dami kong na rin namang gustong abutin. Problema ay walang nakakaintindi, Lahat sa akin halos ay naririndi. Paano ko...
  19. G

Closed Kailangan kita

Kailangan ko ang presensya mo, Asan ka na? Iniwan mo na ba ako? Alam kong marami akong pagkakamali, Alam kong ayaw mong ika'y nakatali. Anong magagawa ko, kung yan lang ang tanging paraan ko, Para iparamdam sayo ang pagmamahal na nadadama ko para sayo. Kailangan kita, bumalik ka na. Pasensya sa...
  20. G

Closed Pagkawala

Ang dilim, Ang lalim, Puno ng lihim. Ayaw sambitin, Pagka't walang makakakintindi rin. Ang saya, Lahat pineke na, Ayaw malaman ng iba. Nakakahiya. Paalam na.
  21. G

Closed Ako, ikaw, tayo

Ako, Ikaw, Tayo Di na tayo magkakalayo, Akin ka, sayo lang ako Ito ang laging pangako ko sayo. Ako, Ikaw, Tayo Sa isang iglap lang iniwan mo na ako, Nagkulang ba ako? Saan? Paano? Sumama ka na kung kani-kanino. Ako, Ikaw, Tayo Paalam na, isang ngiti para sayo, Minsan kailangan mo ring...
  22. G

Closed Masaya nga ba?

Masaya akong nakasama kita, Masaya ka na ngayon, sa piling ng iba. Masaya dahil ngiti mo'y parang bituin, Nagniningning ngunit di dahil sa akin. Masaya akong masaya ka na, Masaya ka nang kayakap ang iba, Masaya kahit di ka akin, Ngumingiti kahit wala ka na sa akin. Masakit pero ito'y titila...
  23. G

Closed Saklolo

Walang makakatulong, walang makakaintindi Gusto kong maging masaya pero parang hindi, Alipin ng sariling takot at hinagpis Nag-iisa, hindi masaya, animo'y walang anumang tapis. Pakiramdam ko'y nalulunod ako, Dilim ng paligid, bulag na mga mata ko, Tuluyang nilamon, paano babangon? Saklolo.
  24. G

Closed Alapaap

Saya, lungkot ang daming nadama Pagsama sayo saan nga ba papunta? Sa alapaap na tila ba kay hirap abutin, Pagmamahal ko sayo, sana'y iyong dinggin. Alapaap na akala mo'y di gumagalaw, Ngunit sa isang iglap, biglang di mo na natanaw, Akala mo langit, akala mo masaya, Naidlip ka lang, iniwan ka na.
  25. H

Closed Lets team up

any Cebuano here who would like to team up in making pieces or spoken poetries? haha PM
  26. O

Closed What we buried by caitlyn siehl

Guys sino sa inyo may kopya ng book na What We Buried by Caitlyn Siehl. Pahingi naman. Or kung sino sana may alam ng site na pwedeng pagdownloadan. Need lang talaga. Salamat!
  27. I

Closed Sabi mo, friends lang kayo.

Naalala ko, bago palang tayo noon, Pinakilala mo sakin sya, BFF mo mula noon hanggang ngayon. Pero bakit naman ang sama ng tingin nya sakin? Bff mo sya, jowa moko peru ayaw nya akong kibuin at kausapin. Naalala ko rin, mula umaga hanggang gabi noong friends palang tayo, Bukambibig mo...
  28. G

Closed (requested) helium - rudy francisco

Requested by muchwow via PM Helium is the debut poetry collection by internet phenom Rudy Francisco, whose work has defined poetry for a generation of new readers. Rudy's poems and quotes have been viewed and shared millions of times as he has traveled the country and the world performing for...
  29. I

Closed Faded love

Unfortunately, I am living my life in a past tense world. She loved, cared, trusted, and protected me, at least for once. - AriesGlen
  30. I

Closed What love means for you?

Love for me is when I don't know what my trainer is discussing now since I'm too busy writing my name with your surename on it
  31. O

Closed Poem books 1: rupi kaur

Para sa mga mahihilig magbasa ng mga heart felt poems diyan! For all those fans ni Rupi Kaur, these are all for you! :):):) These are all epub files so kailangan niyo ng epub reader! Eto yung gamit kong reader: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.graphilos.epub Sooooo let us...
  32. J

Closed Pa help po, poems, short stories...

Pa help naman po any poems and short stories galing visayas and mindanao around 2000s po para lang sa project namin. thank you po.
  33. L

Closed Para sa sawi. at para din sa mga emo.

On this night, this thing you call love dies. Your face disgusts me. Smile and b.e.a.r your lies. This broken trust will become your demise. - "And They Called This Tragedy" You let me go, you let me go too soon. I love your meaningless words that slip away as I slit your throat. I will slit...
  34. P

Closed ᴀᴍᴀᴢɪɴɢ ɢʀᴀᴄᴇ | ᴄʜʀɪsᴛɪᴀɴ ʜʏᴍɴ

Amazing grace! (how sweet the sound) That sav'd a wretch like me! I once was lost, but now am found, Was blind, but now I see. 'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, And grace my fears reliev'd; How precious did that grace appear The hour I first believ'd! Thro' many dangers...
  35. P

Closed Una sa tatlo at pangalawa sa nauna.

Sa umpisa tayo yung masaya, pero pano nga ba? simulan ang bagay na nagtapos na? xxx Tinanggap ko na may nauna na sayong nagmamahal na iba, pero masaya ako sa mga oras na kasama ka, maging ikaw ay masaya sa oras na kasama mo ako. pero bakit biglang nagbago ang takbo at bawat tagpo. xxx Lumayo...
  36. L

Closed Puso

Sa pag yakap ng mundo sa araw na lumulubog ikaw ay magtataka kung ito pabay muling sisikat pag nawala ang araw nawawala ang init na nagsisilbing kumot sa malamig mo paligid sa pag sisimula ng gabi kay daming masasamang loob naghihintay sa tamang panahon upang ika'y pagsamantalahan pero pwede...
  37. A

Closed Michael faudet ebook part 1

Dirty Pretty Things (2014) Dirty Pretty Things is the much anticipated book by Michael Faudet. His whimsical and often ****** writing has already captured the hearts and minds of literally thousands of readers from around the world. He paints vivid pictures with intricate words and explores...
  38. S

Closed Excerpts of you

©poemsandwords
  39. D

Closed Manunulat ka ba?

Hi. Hello. Kung nababasa mo man ang mga letrang andito ngayon pakiusap, basahin mo ito ng buo at tapusin hanggang dulo. Sapagkat ang bawat letra, espasyo, bantas at tugma na narito lahat ay para sa'yo. Oo sa'yo. Sa'yo na sana ay mahilig magbasa. Upang sa tuwing isinusulat kita ay malaman mo...
  40. C

Closed Hanggang sa makalimutan mo...

Sa tuwing aayawan ka ng mundo, dalawang daang beses kitang tatanggapin. Sa bawat katapusang papatay sa'yo, tatlong daang beses kitang bubuhayin. Lahat ng gagawin mong dulo, gagawin kong umpisa. Lahat ng titigilan mong hangganan, papalitan ko ng simula. Sa tuwing tatalikuran mo ang sarili...
  41. E

Closed Story, poems and quotes

Best stories, quotes, poems that will amaze you I just share to you you will read it here. http://storyhands.phc.onl/#forbidden#/
  42. Y

Closed Parable of faith

“Parable of Faith” Now, in twilight, on the palace steps the king asks forgiveness of his lady. He is not duplicitous; he has tried to be true to the moment; is there another way of being true to the self? The lady hides her face, somewhat assisted by shadows. She weeps for her past; when one...
  43. Y

Closed I loved

I loved the way you stared at me, looking deep into my eyes. I loved the way you smiled at me, showing those pearly whites. I loved the way the way you talked to me your voice sounding so pure. I loved how I told you everything, this I know for sure. I loved the way we got competitive when we...
Back