What's new

Closed Why People Become Atheist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a near certainty that life exists outside of earth because the universe is predictable and apparently deterministic (exactly why we can conduct scientific inquiry into it) as opposed to the creationists' conception of nature being unpredictably whimsical with gods controlling it at will.

The formation of life is relatively straightforward giving the right conditions and ingredients (both of which are more than abundant), that you can easily INFER the existence of alien life somewhere else in an unbelievably massive universe. There's no physical evidence yet. It's still pure statistical probability. Rationalism (logical deduction based on already known variables and conditions) and empiricism (observational evidence) are both properties of science. Aliens are logical that's why scientists are continually hunting for their evidence. God's are not.

The only way for life to be impossible to exist outside earth is if there's a god who has, apparently, only decided to create one planet with life in it.

There's no "other side of the fence" in science and philosophy. Both disciplines, as aforementioned, are characteristically materialistic and atheistic. There's no theistic science, and theism is confined only in an insular, stagnant philosophical subdiscipline. Theist scientists/philosophers are a fringe minority who have to compartmentalize their irrational magical beliefs and their profession with a great degree of cognitive dissonance.

First, you grossly misunderstood. Typical of you. When I say other side of the fence, you have to dig deeper, explore further, digest even it's hard, the other arguments that are equally intellectual as the opposing side(atheism and/or theism). Of course it is purely biased when we based all the atheistic claims on your arguments. I tell you, your arguments here are old as stale and no longer effective. There are hardcore atheistic arguments that deserve further, deeper, rigid, analytic, logical reading and consideration. Do you think, mainstream or theist philosophers only thinks of the arguments where you syperficially treat their arguments?

Second.. Where is the evidence that life else where in the universe exists? Okay, I dont argue there is no other life beyond earth....but....whetr is your evidence?is a hypothesis no matter how intelligently constructed be called an evidence?? Besides, we can not argue that maybe in the future life elsewhere would be discovered..this is a mistake if we debate where scientific findings are involved. As long as somethings arent proven that they exist, we cant use them to validate our arguments. Furthermore, existence of life elsewhere in the universe doesn't invalidate the existence of a God/Gods or the theistic claim..if we hypothesize, life elsewhere, why don't just we hypothesize an infinite dimension where there might be of higher beings???

First, you grossly misunderstood. Typical of you. When I say other side of the fence, you have to dig deeper, explore further, digest even it's hard, the other arguments that are equally intellectual as the opposing side(atheism and/or theism). Of course it is purely biased when we based all the atheistic claims on your arguments. I tell you, your arguments here are old as stale and no longer effective. There are hardcore atheistic arguments that deserve further, deeper, rigid, analytic, logical reading and consideration. Do you think, mainstream or theist philosophers only thinks of the arguments where you syperficially treat their arguments?

Second.. Where is the evidence that life else where in the universe exists? Okay, I dont argue there is no other life beyond earth....but....whetr is your evidence?is a hypothesis no matter how intelligently constructed be called an evidence?? Besides, we can not argue that maybe in the future life elsewhere would be discovered..this is a mistake if we debate where scientific findings are involved. As long as somethings arent proven that they exist, we cant use them to validate our arguments. Furthermore, existence of life elsewhere in the universe doesn't invalidate the existence of a God/Gods or the theistic claim..if we hypothesize, life elsewhere, why don't just we hypothesize an infinite dimension where there might be of higher beings???
Did you skip the part where I said there's not yet evidence of aliens? Aliens are scientific, hypothetical, logical propositions that scientists have extrapolated based on current exoplanet data and other known conditions in the observable universe and even on earth. Everything in science starts as a theory or hypothesis before its empirical confirmation. The conditions that enabled life to form on earth are not incredibly specific and unique. They exist in a handful of exoplanets discovered so far.

Current estimates hit at 150 to 250 billion stars in our galaxy ALONE, and one planet on average orbits almost every star.
That means we are 8 (9 excluding Pluto as a Kuiper belt object) of 200 billion planets out there.

8 / 2,000,000,000

That figure is one galaxy hub of possible civilizations coming into existence.

If life can appear on earth, it will appear somewhere else with similar conditions and we have evidence that life can even adapt to extreme conditions so it's not far-fetched that aliens exist elsewhere in the universe. Only unthinking, unscientific religious person would come to a conclusion that there's no life outside of earth.

Now, this is different from the highly illogical and wildly improbable theistic proposition that is premised on scientific ignorance and deals with absolute ZERO data and scientists/philosophers don't entertain the idea of imaginary concepts in their profession that have absolutely no data and information to build upon.

You're making it seem like philosophy is divided on the issue of god with both opposing stances equally valid, supported and accepted in the philosophical profession when the issue has been settled for more than 2 centuries and that's exactly what the philosophical consensus you keep ignoring is about.

Did you skip the part where I said there's not yet evidence of aliens? Aliens are scientific, hypothetical, logical propositions that scientists have extrapolated based on current exoplanet data and other known conditions in the observable universe and even on earth. Everything in science starts as a theory or hypothesis before its empirical confirmation. The conditions that enabled life to form on earth are not incredibly specific and unique. They exist in a handful of exoplanets discovered so far.

Current estimates hit at 150 to 250 billion stars in our galaxy ALONE, and one planet on average orbits almost every star.
That means we are 8 (9 excluding Pluto as a Kuiper belt object) of 200 billion planets out there.

8 / 2,000,000,000

That figure is one galaxy hub of possible civilizations coming into existence.

If life can appear on earth, it will appear somewhere else with similar conditions and we have evidence that life can even adapt to extreme conditions so it's not far-fetched that aliens exist elsewhere in the universe. Only unthinking, unscientific religious person would come to a conclusion that there's no life outside of earth.

Now, this is different from the highly illogical and wildly improbable theistic proposition that is premised on scientific ignorance and deals with absolute ZERO data and scientists/philosophers don't entertain the idea of imaginary concepts in their profession that have absolutely no data and information to build upon.

You're making it seem like philosophy is divided on the issue of god with both opposing stances equally valid, supported and accepted in the philosophical profession when the issue has been settled for more than 2 centuries and that's exactly what the philosophical consensus you keep ignoring is about.

Yes, you are free to dream on that the issue os settled about two centuries ago.

Regarding about the existence of aliens.

First, I don't deny that intellectual hypothesis about alien's existence is perse unscientific or useles.

Second, whether aliens do exist or don't exist has nothing to validate or invalidate the God/Godless argument.

Third,

May I ask you if these supposes mathematical equations (sample, the Drake equation) produce the actual sighting of aliens? Yes, probability theory..it may turn out that the universe is teeming with life or that these mathematical equations are flatly superflous when it hit the wall of reality.

Fourth, we maybe both agree to a philosopher-scientist that says that the absence of evidence is the evidence of absence. By this statement alone(note that this statement where I totally depend my arguments) your claims is ready to be committed into the trash bin or flame. You can't use something that isnt there yet to validate your arguments.

Again, you are too superficial to assess my statements. You are prevaricating the truths. In philosophy, if we talk of meaning, existence, morality, metaphysics, science, etc etc the issue of God's existence is always dragged. Absolute reality, ultimate reality, infinity, nothingness, being of beings, etc etc when we tall about these, the idea of God(doesnt mean I asser its existence) existence almost always comes.out.naturally when we philosophize. I suggested you farm information or knowledge on the other side of the fence. The matter is that you are oblivious to the developing monolithic arguments being built by these theist philosophers. I dont say you must believe them. It is just the ideas you presented here about theism is too incomplete and just a caricature of the stone age mentality.

Yes, you are free to dream on that the issue os settled about two centuries ago.

First, I don't deny that intellectual hypothesis about alien's existence is perse unscientific or useles.

Second, whether aliens do exist or don't exist has nothing to validate or invalidate the God/Godless argument.

Third,

May I ask you if these supposes mathematical equations (sample, the Drake equation) produce the actual sighting of aliens? Yes, probability theory..it may turn out that the universe is teeming with life or that these mathematical equations are flatly superflous when it hit the wall of reality.

Fourth, we maybe both agree to a philosopher-scientist that says that the absence of evidence is the evidence of absence. By this statement alone(note that this statement where I totally depend my arguments) your claims is ready to be committed into the trash bin or flame. You can't use something that isnt there yet to validate your arguments.

Again, you are too superficial to assess my statements. You are prevaricating the truths. In philosophy, if we talk of meaning, existence, morality, metaphysics, science, etc etc the issue of God's existence is always dragged. Absolute reality, ultimate reality, infinity, nothingness, being of beings, etc etc when we tall about these, the idea of God(doesnt mean I asser its existence) existence almost always comes.out.naturally when we philosophize. I suggested you farm information or knowledge on the other side of the fence. The matter is that you are oblivious to the developing monolithic arguments being built by these theist philosophers. I dont say you must believe them. It is just the ideas you presented here about theism is too incomplete and just a caricature of the stone age mentality.

Just a correction here..

I should mean.. I don't deny that the search for alien life is scientific or useful..

Let us not make it complicated why would you believe a scientist who always claims existance of another human life outside our solar system if they cant even explore the whole earth and do something about the world slowly turning into an oven. Yes the universe is huge and wonderful but let us first do something about earths waste and unexplored areas maybe we can discover that there could be a blackhole somewhere else here on earth. Also scientist believes on the blackhole thing though they dont yet touch it or get close to it. And we students in the school are programmed to believe what the books says which some actually not existing or a lie for example is our country history. They claim that filipinos before are nuts and not civilize tracing back the true history filipinos before have their datus and already trading to other country like china. Dont always trust what the world government is teaching to us. Based on what ive read and watched. :D
We have branches of science that studies earth, also scientist are claiming global warming, they are the one that actually doing something about it,
you could independently confirm the existence of blackhole using math and a telescope,
I dont know any branch of science that studies cultural history,
did you know we spend more on guns and nukes than scientific research.
did you know that you couldn't have watched and read anything online today if scientist did not invent the internet and computers,
you can independently confirm and falsify scientific claims by yourself and actually be rewarded $1,000,000 for it, its called the nobel prize.

Why people are fast becoming atheist nowadays?

Simple lang nalalaman ko at basic na basic explanation lang.

Bible. Kung alam lang ng mga atheist na yan na part lang ng genealogical-apocalyptic realisation of biblical eschatology ang 'atheism', at part lang yang emptying the soul process na yan ng bigger picture sa Adamic race Genesis redemption of God, matatawa na lang sila sa sarili nila lalo na yung mga nagmomock sa Creator on the day of the great white throne judgment hehehe, kaya go lang share more 🍿.

Third,

Aliens exist because the physical laws and specific conditions of the universe allow them to exist. Like I said, only a god who acts at whim and decides not to create life in other planets can make the existence of extraterrestrials impossible. God, on the other hand, doesn't exist because nothing in a scientific universe exhibits a known type of irregularity that an unpredictable, magical force can occur. So they are false equivalence if you think that the appeal to ignorance applies on aliens as much as it does on gods. Aliens and gods are incommensurable. One is a perfectly logical, scientific inference and highly likely to occur in the natural world while the other is a consequence of pre-scientific, magical thinking that only exists in fairytales and legends and would have never been brought up to begin with in the modern scientific age. Only unscientific people keep appealing to gods for scientific explanation.

Again, there's no "other side of the fence" in philosophy when it comes to the existence of gods as the issue has been settled for close to 300 years now. Natural theology where all beliefs, justifications and arguments for the existence of god are rooted in has conclusively been taken down by Hume and Kant, two of the most influential philosophers of all time. Academic philosophy today is atheistic because of these two men. Theism holds no ground or influence whatsoever, and is never mentioned at all in philosophy outside its own little bubble. The fact that you keep insisting about theist philosophers and place value on whatever they have to say only shows your cluelessness on the progress and developments in philosophy that have already taken place in the last 300 years, and the current state of the philosophical profession. Theism holds just as much credibility and validity in philosophy as quackery and faith healing have in medicine.

Theistic philosophies are dead. Creationism and Intelligent Design are pseudosciences. Religions are all scams, and only gullible and benighted people still believe in and subscribe to these false ideologies in this modern, scientific age.

Aliens exist because the physical laws and specific conditions of the universe allow them to exist. Like I said, only a god who acts at whim and decides not to create life in other planets can make the existence of extraterrestrials impossible. God, on the other hand, doesn't exist because nothing in a scientific universe exhibits a known type of irregularity that an unpredictable, magical force can occur. So they are false equivalence if you think that the appeal to ignorance applies on aliens as much as it does on gods. Aliens and gods are incommensurable. One is a perfectly logical, scientific inference and highly likely to occur in the natural world while the other is a consequence of pre-scientific, magical thinking that only exists in fairytales and legends and would have never been brought up to begin with in the modern scientific age. Only unscientific people keep appealing to gods for scientific explanation.

Again, there's no "other side of the fence" in philosophy when it comes to the existence of gods as the issue has been settled for close to 300 years now. Natural theology where all beliefs, justifications and arguments for the existence of god are rooted in has conclusively been taken down by Hume and Kant, two of the most influential philosophers of all time. Academic philosophy today is atheistic because of these two men. Theism holds no ground or influence whatsoever, and is never mentioned at all in philosophy outside its own little bubble. The fact that you keep insisting about theist philosophers and place value on whatever they have to say only shows your cluelessness on the progress and developments in philosophy that have already taken place in the last 300 years, and the current state of the philosophical profession. Theism holds just as much credibility and validity in philosophy as quackery and faith healing have in medicine.

Theistic philosophies are dead. Creationism and Intelligent Design are pseudosciences. Religions are all scams, and only gullible and benighted people still believe in and subscribe to these false ideologies in this modern, scientific age.

fabriche naniniwala ka pala sa alien? ahahaha

the position of atheism is to approach everything through logic and empirical evidence
gaya ng pag deny mo sa existence ng diyos pasok din yan sa panukat mo
you cannot prove the existence of aliens throufh emprical and testable evidences
walang matibay na scientfic evidence dyan sa alien na sinasabi mo pseudo scientific quackery yan - atleast on your own previous position and standard of atheism :D

ako kasi ang position ko dyan eh.. im not sure, wala pa tayo technology para malaman at marating o magalugad ang buong universe, maybe somewhere in the universe ay may planet na tulad nitong earth populated with other beings.
but i admit, mas malaki probability na meron there is many mystery in the universe na hindi pa nadidscover ng science

pero ikaw very firm at gnostic ang belief mo dyan sa sinasabi mong alien:

"Aliens exist because the physical laws and specific conditions of the universe allow them to exist."

para bang nakita nakausap mo na sila sa statement mo at paninwala mo sila ay nag eexist why dinedeny mo na may diyos

meron ka ba maipapakita na any scientific evidence na makakapag patunay na ang extra terrestrial beings o alien ay nag exist??? ilan beses ko na nabasa mga bagay tungkol dyan mostly sa mga conspracy pseudo science books
aliens, anunaki dna, aliens vsited the earth implanted a kind of cosmic seeds na siyang pinanggalingan ng human race at kung ano ano pa, pero wala pako nakikta matibay na evidence na meron nga,

may nilunsad pang project si stephen hawking dyan at ang millionaire na si yuri milner
at hindi lang basta bastang proyekto, its a hundred million projects para makapag gawa ng device na makaka contact sa mga aliens - parang science fiction ang datingan haha

pero namatay na lang si hawking wala sila napatunayan nagsayang lang sila ng milyong pera

any scientific data mula sa NASA o kahit anong credible scientific institution na nag coconfirm na meron nga nyang alien na sinasabi mo??? meron ba???

the position of atheism is to approach everything through logic and empirical evidence
you cannot prove the existence of aliens throufh emprical and testable evidences
walang matibay na scientfic evidence dyan sa alien na sinasabi mo pseudo scientific quackery yan - atleast on your own previous position and standard of atheism :D

ako kasi ang position ko dyan eh.. im not sure, wala pa tayo technology para malaman at marating o magalugad ang buong universe, maybe somewhere in the universe ay may planet na tulad nitong earth populated with other beings.
but i admit, mas malaki probability na meron there is many mystery in the universe na hindi pa nadidscover ng science

"Aliens exist because the physical laws and specific conditions of the universe allow them to exist."

para bang nakita nakausap mo na sila sa statement mo at paninwala mo sila ay nag eexist why dinedeny mo na may diyos

meron ka ba maipapakita na any scientific evidence na makakapag patunay na ang extra terrestrial beings o alien ay nag exist??? ilan beses ko na nabasa mga bagay tungkol dyan mostly sa mga conspracy pseudo science books
aliens, anunaki dna, aliens vsited the earth implanted a kind of cosmic seeds na siyang pinanggalingan ng human race at kung ano ano pa, pero wala pako nakikta matibay na evidence na meron nga,

may nilunsad pang project si stephen hawking dyan at ang millionaire na si yuri milner
at hindi lang basta bastang proyekto, its a hundred million projects para makapag gawa ng device na makaka contact sa mga aliens - parang science fiction ang datingan haha

pero namatay na lang si hawking wala sila napatunayan nagsayang lang sila ng milyong pera

any scientific data mula sa NASA o kahit anong credible scientific institution na nag coconfirm na meron nga nyang alien na sinasabi mo??? meron ba???
Asserting the probability of existence of another life forms scattered sparsely throughout the universe is perfectly logical, reasonable and scientific. It's a whole DIFFERENT category from asserting the existence of magical gods who created the universe and interact with it which is illogical and based wholly on scientific ignorance, and is already refuted by evidence.

The formation of life is a pretty straightforward natural process. There's nothing magical or supernatural about it. It only takes specific sets of variables, suitable planetary conditions and the right chemical ingredients to create life. If life sprang up on earth, even in its most extreme environments, it could certainly appear elsewhere with similar conditions to earth. And this does not yet consider the potential life forms that can arise from different biochemistries. This is why NASA and the whole astrophysics community have spent a great deal of time and effort to actively seek for signs of life-friendly environment for decades now and already found a handful of potentially habitable planets. They wouldn't do so if they thought aliens don't exist. What the scientific community doesn’t believe is that earth is being visited all the time by aliens who are traveling trillions of miles in order to create geometric patterns in the grass or the supposed ancient alien megastructures on earth.

Well said!

Yes, more rhetorics and repetitious nonsense. This is based on an erroneous notion that only the atheist has the monopoly on information and knowledge, logical and scientific thinking and philosophical discourses. Please wake up and properly frame the God debate.

Well said!
I'll take a different approach.

By outright rejecting that there isn't a potential life other than Earth, you are no different to people who are rejecting the existence of god. Do you even have any idea how tiny, tiny, tiny of a speck earth in this universe? And yet you have the arrogance to announce "LIFE IS EXCLUSIVE TO EARTH".

Humans might have existed for about what, 60-80000 years ago. That's minuscule at the grand scheme of things. There is nothing wrong to say that, life (or its occurrence/existence) is just another incident/chance waiting to happen to due to gazillion/countless possibilities out there.

Humility is a rarity these days.

I'll take a different approach.

By outright rejecting that there isn't a potential life other than Earth, you are no different to people who are rejecting the existence of god. Do you even have any idea how tiny, tiny, tiny of a speck earth in this universe? And yet you have the arrogance to announce "LIFE IS EXCLUSIVE TO EARTH".

Humans might have existed for about what, 60-80000 years ago. That's minuscule at the grand scheme of things. There is nothing wrong to say that, life (or its occurrence/existence) is just another incident/chance waiting to happen to due to gazillion/countless possibilities out there.

Humility is a rarity these days.

I'm sorry to say this friend but I think you are incorrectly following the recent conversations here.

Neither Stellariim nor I claim that there is no other life forms elsewhere in the universe.
We are open to that. However, this not the point. The point was that to say that " certainly" or "near certainty" on the existence of aliens isn't scientific or we just betray the principles science? When we say it is certain, , comes Stellarium question "meron ba??(aliens)". Where is the arrogance there when in this lifetime that aliens existence cant be proven?Mathematical equations or probability approaches will not make the claim as true. We are open to that theory but, a truly scientific mind suspends absurd conclusions. There might be life forms out there or there isnt. We can not be truly scientific or logical when we argue that someday or in the future we will discover these aliens. No, this doesnt support our cases as a theistic or atheistic philosophers. Let us suspend our conclusions judgment on this alien investigations. Aliens ot no aliens doesnt help one's case as a ln atheiatic or theistic philosopher. The good thing is that these alien investigations propels us further to explore the universe and maybe, someday, discover means to travel star system to star system and inhabit other life-hospitable planets throughout the universe and when the universe perhaps will extinguish billions of years from now in that distant future(if humanity survives) it would be time to discover a neighboring or alternate universes to inhabit..yeas, the journey is consuming, it is beautiful and wondrous..too much to know in the future only that we hope humanity survives.

We are indeed " speck of dust" in the universe. What is awesome here is that this speck of dust where conscious beings reside, able to comprehend as big as the universe as a cosmological event Humanity can able to transcend itself and intellectualy look into the stars, galaxies, universe or multiverse and impose its own meaning in these cosmic events. What then is bigger? Thr universe or a even a single human life longing in the depths of the cosmos? This question I dont mean to entail a religious fundamentist question. Any thinking, rational and scientific mind may ask questions as long as he is able to comprehend the universe. What is bigger than is a matter of perspective.

I'm sorry to say this friend but I think you are incorrectly following the recent conversations here.

Neither Stellariim nor I claim that there is no other life forms elsewhere in the universe.
We are open to that. However, this not the point. The point was that to say that " certainly" or "near certainty" on the existence of aliens isn't scientific or we just betray the principles science? When we say it is certain, , comes Stellarium question "meron ba??(aliens)". Where is the arrogance there when in this lifetime that aliens existence cant be proven?Mathematical equations or probability approaches will not make the claim as true. We are open to that theory but, a truly scientific mind suspends absurd conclusions. There might be life forms out there or there isnt. We can not be truly scientific or logical when we argue that someday or in the future we will discover these aliens. No, this doesnt support our cases as a theistic or atheistic philosophers. Let us suspend our conclusions judgment on this alien investigations. Aliens ot no aliens doesnt help one's case as a ln atheiatic or theistic philosopher. The good thing is that these alien investigations propels us further to explore the universe and maybe, someday, discover means to travel star system to star system and inhabit other life-hospitable planets throughout the universe and when the universe perhaps will extinguish billions of years from now in that distant future(if humanity survives) it would be time to discover a neighboring or alternate universes to inhabit..yeas, the journey is consuming, it is beautiful and wondrous..too much to know in the future only that we hope humanity survives.

We are indeed " speck of dust" in the universe. What is awesome here is that this speck of dust where conscious beings reside, able to comprehend as big as the universe as a cosmological event Humanity can able to transcend itself and intellectualy look into the stars, galaxies, universe or multiverse and impose its own meaning in these cosmic events. What then is bigger? Thr universe or a even a single human life longing in the depths of the cosmos? This question I dont mean to entail a religious fundamentist question. Any thinking, rational and scientific mind may ask questions as long as he is able to comprehend the universe. What is bigger than is a matter of perspective.
Ok. So when the other poster ridiculed a post ("fabriche naniniwala ka pala sa alien? ahahaha") and you commended and agreed to it by saying "well said", what does it exactly mean? It's either you are supported stellarium's post or not. No other way to look at it.

What the "well said" part then?

Arrogance comes when the other poster outright rejected that possibility and you supported it. I don't really agree with everything fabriche says. But sometimes, you have to look at the argument, not the person.

The most honest response is, we neither can confirm nor deny god/aliens/non-earth microbial life's existence.

Did I make any conclusion? What I am implying is, being open to possibilities which is what science is about. And you being the guy who always asks for absolute, 101% certainty ("Mathematical equations or probability approaches will not make the claim as true"), twists the argument again. The only thing certain is uncertainty. Nothing more.

learning how to embrace reality... pag nasabi mo na sa sarili mo na hindi ka na bata, yung tipong bata na binibigyan pa ng candy kapag uutusan,,kapag hindi ka na ganon then ready ka na to accept kung ano talaga reality ... pag inalis mo na ung takot mo ..

My answer to the question is partly because of erroneous interpretations of the world by the fundamentalists, partly because of the arrogance of the intellectuals, partly because of the fundamental belief of the world as purely materialistic only, partly because of ideological possession, partly because of the belief that the ancient wisdom is obselete in the modern age, and partly because of lies and/or lack of knowledge of those people in power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back