TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 55 min.
MAKES: 6 servings
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
1 cup equals 429 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 1012 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 34 g protein.
- In a Dutch oven, cook chicken in water; cool slightly. Remove chicken from bones; discard bones. Skim fat from broth. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces; add to broth with remaining ingredients except noodles. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, for noodles, place flour in a small bowl and make a well in the center. Stir together remaining ingredients; pour into well. Working the mixture with your hands, form a dough ball. Knead for 5-6 minutes.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. On a floured surface, roll dough out to a square, 1/16 to 1/8 in. thick, and cut into 1/4-in.-wide strips. Cook noodles in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes or until done. Drain and add to soup just before serving.
Freeze option: Freeze uncooked noodles on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to freezer bags; return to freezer. Prepare soup as directed, reserving potatoes for later. Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Place potatoes in a small saucepan; add water to cover. Simmer 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Meanwhile, cook noodles as directed; drain. Transfer soup and potatoes to a Dutch oven. Heat through. Just before serving, add noodles. Yield: 6 servings.