What's new

Trivia The #1 Anti-Inflammatory Upgrade for Your Overnight Oats

Lelouch Lamperouge

🐝 on duty 🐝
Elite
Solutions
Reaction

The #1 Anti-Inflammatory Upgrade for Your Overnight Oats​

This little addition packs a big nutritional punch—and makes oats incredibly creamy.

a recipe photo of the Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds

PHOTO:
PHOTOGRAPHER: JEN CAUSEY, FOOD STYLIST: EMILY NABORS HALL, PROP STYLIST: JOSH HOGGLE

I had just moved into my first Los Angeles apartment, and as a native New Yorker, I was determined to take advantage of the beach and sun. With a renewed will to improve my health, I searched for a swap to my usual morning lightly toasted bagel and cream cheese. One day, after a 6:30 a.m. hot yoga class, I wandered into the smoothie bar next door and saw overnight oats on the menu. It seemed easy enough to make at home, and so began my love affair with rolled oats, plant-based milk and a slew of experimental add-ins.

Soon, my fridge was stocked with Mason jars filled with different flavored overnight oats: piña colada with shredded coconut, peanut butter cocoa, peppermint mocha and maple vanilla. Then I started adding additional ingredients to boost its healthfulness, like MCT oil, protein powder, vanilla You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. mushroom powder—the list goes on. But once I tossed in chia seeds, my breakfast fate was sealed.​

Perfecting Your Overnight Oats​

The first step is to create a simple oat and chia seed base and adjust that to your taste. Then, start playing around with flavors, as well as ingredients like protein powder if they’re in your routine.

To make simple overnight oats with chia seeds, start with rolled oats (substitute gluten-free rolled oats if you have a gluten sensitivity or celiac disease), combine with 1 to 2 tablespoons of chia seeds and add your choice of milk. I go for plant-based milk—the creamier and higher quality, the better. I like Táche Pistachio Milk and Three Trees Barista Almond & Oatmilk because these don’t have any added oils.

You’ll want the milk to just cover the mixture of oats and chia seeds for the best texture and absorption (approx. 1 ¼ cups of plant-based milk per 1 cup of oats). Then add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup or a sweetener of your choice. (Keep in mind that the chia seeds will make the oats slightly bitter.) EatingWell’s You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. also calls for strained Greek-style yogurt, but this can be skipped to keep it plant-based.

For a bonus sweet and fruity way to incorporate chia seeds, make a You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. ahead of time with frozen raspberries, chia seeds and a sweetener of your choice to taste. In a small bowl, add ½ cup of frozen raspberries, 2 teaspoons of chia seeds and 2 teaspoons of maple syrup (add more or less to taste). Use a fork to smash the raspberries and incorporate the mixture for 3 to 5 minutes until a jam-like texture forms. Keep your chia seed jam in the refrigerator to add to overnight oats, smoothies or to make a peanut butter and jam sandwich.​

Health Benefits of Chia Seeds–and How to Store Them​

The You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. cannot be overstated. The fiber-packed seeds support gut health, are a great plant-based source of omega-3 fats and are chock-full of antioxidants. They also provide a good source of calcium and iron. Due to these health benefits, as well as their anti-inflammatory properties, chia has been found to improve digestive function and blood pressure and may help support weight loss, according to a review in the You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. in 2023.

When it comes to cooking, a singular chia seed can absorb up to 10 times its weight in liquid, making it a sought-after ingredient to thicken recipes. For that reason, whole chia seeds are preferred in most recipes rather than ground. Chia seeds should be kept in a cool, dry spot and can even go into your freezer. When added to overnight oats or a jam, chia seeds can last for up to a week in the refrigerator.

The Bottom Line​

Overnight oats are a blank breakfast canvas ready to be crafted and perfected to suit your personal taste, preferences and cravings. Adding chia seeds to the mix creates a creamy, You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. fiber-packed breakfast or an easy grab-and-go snack. The recipe is simple to meal prep for the week. Then when you’re ready, you only need to scoop some in a bowl and top with whatever your taste buds are craving.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Last edited: