What's new

Trivia Is it true that Jupiter is so large that it does not orbit around the sun?

plhbg1

Forum Master
Elite
Solutions
Reaction
Yes!

Jupiter, The biggest planet in our solar system. It is so massive that 1300 earths could fit inside of this planet. Jupiter is 2.5 times more massive than all the other planets in our solar system combined!

This is our tiny earth compared to the Jupiter:
main-qimg-d256c7d91c587f39876a24409b9580b5-lq.jpg
Jupiter is so big that the center of gravity of the sun and Jupiter is outside of sun. Although extremely close to the surface of the sun.

So the sun and Jupiter both orbit around their center of gravity which is also known as barycenter.

Barycenter is the center of mass of two or more bodies that orbit one another and is the point about which the bodies orbit.
main-qimg-36c5b7beb3310c1dab62c8156eda1e2b.jpg
Technically Jupiter orbits around the barycenter of sun and Jupiter which is located outside of the sun.

So, Yes! Jupiter is so large that it doesn't orbit around the sun. Fascinating!

Now other planets in solar system are so small that barycenter of the sun and a planet like earth lies inside of the sun. (Also very near to the center of sun.)

So it looks like other planets are orbiting the center of the sun.
ezgif-5-aa27ca4aee.gif
Source: You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

To understand this you can also imagine spinning a kid like this:

(Could be dangerous. Imagine only.)
main-qimg-4d78680c6b19fea69d01b6008407d96a-lq.jpg
The center of gravity of you and the kid would be somewhere very near to your feet. So you're spinning almost at the same place but the kid is orbiting around you. This is exactly what happens with the sun and the other planets.

By the way, this is how two stars with nearly same weights orbit around their common barycenter in binary star system:
ezgif-5-9a707e62bc.gif
You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
main-qimg-72b20099375a1a84f8f77fdfea3b24aa.gif
Source: You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Attachments

It is not true all the time, that the barycenter will sit outside the surface of the sun. All other planets can influence it too, so it moves depending where the other planets are, not just Jupiter. But yes, it can go outside the surface of the sun, sometimes.

So on the saying,
"when all the planets align..",

The most accurate continuation is,

"..it will take the center of mass of the solar system the farthest from the sun."

It is not true all the time, that the barycenter will sit outside the surface of the sun. All other planets can influence it too, so it moves depending where the other planets are, not just Jupiter. But yes, it can go outside the surface of the sun, sometimes.

So on the saying,
"when all the planets align..",

The most accurate continuation is,

"..it will take the center of mass of the solar system the farthest from the sun."
other planets are so small that Jupiter is able to maintain the barycenter outside the sun, as what has been illustrated 1,300 earths is to 1 jupiter, it has been laid out to you at the very beginning since the gravity of other planets is sure to be argued after hearing Jupiter does not orbit the sun hehe

other planets are so small that Jupiter is able to maintain the barycenter outside the sun, as what has been illustrated 1,300 earths is to 1 jupiter, it has been laid out to you at the very beginning since the gravity of other planets is sure to be argued after hearing Jupiter does not orbit the sun hehe
Solar_system_barycenter.svg.png

Attachments

wow nice drawing, anyone can just draw and say this is the barycenter of Jupiter and sun hehe but anyways, yang pinakita mo is not the barycenter of Jupiter and sun
Same source lang yan ng original post na kinuha mo: wikipedia.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Screenshot_20230228_051116_Chrome.jpg

Pero fair enough, kung sun and Jupiter lang ang bodies sa solar system, constant nga ang barycenter ng dalawa sa labas ng sun.

Ung total barycenter ng solar system ang variable depending sa position ng lahat ng material sa buong system.

Attachments

Last edited:
Same source lang yan ng original post na kinuha mo: wikipedia.

View attachment 2538634

Pero fair enough, kung sun and Jupiter lang ang bodies sa solar system, constant nga ang barycenter ng dalawa sa labas ng sun.

Ung total barycenter ng solar system ang variable depending sa position ng lahat ng material sa buong system.
hehe iba yung barycenter of sun and planets sa barycenter of sun and Jupiter boss (our earth also has barycenter shared with the moon), never naging Jupiter alone ang article na iyan, they recognize Jupiter as the major contributor so they call it the Jupiter system (a.k.a. planet system if we take away the sun from the solar system), they also recognize that only 4 of the planets are significant contributors, others were deemed negligible, at meron silang pinakitang result in the end which is "sometimes inside sometimes outside" and was illustrated by the picture you posted hehe never naging sun and Jupiter iyan boss, it's been always sun and planets, the title of my thread is Jupiter and sun, i linked wikipedia for barycenter details only hehe

Last edited:
hehe iba yung barycenter of sun and planets sa barycenter of sun and Jupiter boss (our earth also has barycenter shared with the moon), never naging Jupiter alone ang article na iyan, they recognize Jupiter as the major contributor so they call it the Jupiter system (a.k.a. planet system if we take away the sun from the solar system), they also recognize that only 4 of the planets are significant contributors, others were deemed negligible, at meron silang pinakitang result in the end which is "sometimes inside sometimes outside" and was illustrated by the picture you posted hehe never naging sun and Jupiter iyan boss, it's been always sun and planets, the title of my thread is Jupiter and sun, i linked wikipedia for barycenter details only hehe
I was just clarifying. Masyado kang defensive sa post mo. Kinopya mo lng nmn yan so hindi nmn sayo ang tama ng criticsm like always. 🤣

I was just clarifying. Masyado kang defensive sa post mo. Kinopya mo lng nmn yan so hindi nmn sayo ang tama ng criticsm like always. 🤣
yeah i never start a thread with my own ideas, they were all hardwork of other people, my ideas were always confined in the comments kaya nga nagko-comment din ako sa aking threads and i always defend ideas of others that i agreed, so what's your issue? hehe

yeah i never start a thread with my own ideas, they were all hardwork of other people, my ideas were always confined in the comments kaya nga nagko-comment din ako sa aking threads, so what's your issue? hehe
Did I say something is wrong? I am just saying you are too defensive for something that cant be attributed to you if scrutinized. So chill.

Did I say something is wrong? I am just saying you are too defensive for something that cant be attributed to you if scrutinized. So chill.
hehe if you are lucky to be picked by me and i started a thread using your ideas that would mean i will defend your idea like it's my own idea since an arguement against it is like attacking my way of choosing things to post as threads