What's new

Trivia If not one person ever made the claim "some god exists", would atheists exist?

plhbg1

Forum Master
Elite
Solutions
Reaction
Answer #1:
Sure. Atheists don’t believe in gods. If you never talked about gods, we still wouldn’t believe in them.
If we had never even heard of gods, we wouldn’t believe in them then either.
How hard can it be to understand this? Atheism is not a reaction to theism. It is simply the absence of theism.

Answer #2:
No, atheism is absolutely a reaction to theism.
If there was no concept of belief in gods, then the absence of that belief wouldn’t be of any relevance, and there would be no need for a word to describe the position.
There are no such things as ‘aunicornists’, nor is it a term that is ever used, because people who believe in unicorns (if they exist) have a no impact on, or importance to, society.

How 'bout you guys? hehe

Atheist would still exist, just not labeled as such.

If there is no beliefs in any god, that is one less method to divide people, no difference to note about. So there is no point on naming something indistinguishable from others.

So it really boils down to what we really mean by atheist "exist"-ing.

Atheist would still exist, just not labeled as such.

If there is no beliefs in any god, that is one less method to divide people, no difference to note about. So there is no point on naming something indistinguishable from others.

So it really boils down to what we really mean by atheist "exist"-ing.
so how do i intend to not worship gods if i don't know about gods in the first place?

so how do i intend to not worship gods if i don't know about gods in the first place?
You dont need to "intend" to be what you already are.
Atheism is not about rejecting god or any intention of doing so. You are still an atheist even if you never heard of any gods, so "intending to not worship" is not even a thing.

You dont need to "intend" to be what you already are.
Atheism is not about rejecting god or any intention of doing so. You are still an atheist even if you never heard of any gods, so "intending to not worship" is not even a thing.
ah kaya pala nababasa ko lagi that we are born atheists hehe kumbaga initial status na instead of papuntang atheist pa lang

ah kaya pala nababasa ko lagi that we are born atheists hehe kumbaga initial status na instead of papuntang atheist pa lang
Yup. Apologists lang nag imbento ng idea na ang mga atheist ay nagrereject kay God. Which is a very flawed argument.

Yup. Apologists lang nag imbento ng idea na ang mga atheist ay nagrereject kay God. Which is a very flawed argument.
so how do you find answer #2 boss? kasi parang label issue lang siya, do you agree that he actually agrees about absence of belief? i also think that he only wasn't considering no-label as "existing"

so how do you find answer #2 boss? kasi parang label issue lang siya, do you agree that he actually agrees about absence of belief? i also think that he only wasn't considering no-label as "existing"
Kaya nga din nilinaw ko it all boils down to what "exist" means.. kasi i agree on both but with different ways to understand exist.

I agree more with answer 1.. pero if we consider existing meaning as a label. Then tama din siya. We don't need a name for labeling atheist, because it is just what everyone is.

Back