What's new

Closed Faq: the bible: an open book or forbidden to be read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankiestein

Eternal Poster
Reaction
Q: Why do you forbid your members to read the Bible when the Bible is an open book? Wasn't the Bible even translated into different languages so that people from various races and nationalities could benefit from it?

A: First of all, there is no such prohibition for members of the Church Of Christ to read the Bible. However, we do not agree with your belief that the Bible, like a work in literature, is an "open book" or that it can be understood and interpreted by simply reading it. To illustrate the point, let us turn to the Bible and examine the case of the Ethiopian eunuch:
"... The eunuch had gone to Jerusalem to worship, and he was now returning. Seated in his carriage, he was reading aloud from the book of the prophet Isaiah. The Holy Spirit said to Philip, 'Go over and walk along beside the carriage.' Philip ran over and heard the man reading from the prophet Isaiah; so he asked, ' Do you understand what you are reading?' the man replied, 'How can I, when there is no one to instruct me?' And he begged Philip to come up into the carriage and sit with him." (Acts 8:27-31, New Living Translation)
In the preceding biblical passages we see that the eunuch was already reading the Book of Isaiah. But, when asked if he understood what he was reading, his reply was, "How can I, when there is no one to instruct me?"
This clearly shows that no matter how educated we are, we do need someone to instruct us. This is because the Bible is, in truth, not an open book (I Cor. 2:6-8). That is why it cannot be understood by just anyone, even through diligent self-study (II Tim. 3:7). It is not for private interpretation either (II Pet. 1:20-21), for only God's messengers are given the knowledge of the mystery of the Kingdom of God (Mark 4:10-12). They are the stewards of God's mysteries (I Cor. 4:1). Therefore, only God's ministers in the true Church of Christ are authorized to preach God's words, for they are guided by the Holy Spirit (John 14:26).
Indeed, everyone must benefit from the enormous wisdom the Bible offers, and everyone must understand the "truth" or the words of God (John 17:17) in order to attain salvation (I Tim. 2:4). That is why, in our time, God Himself placed a leader in the true Church Of Christ, the Executive Minister, to whom He has entrusted the task of making His message fully known (I Cor. 12:28; Col. 1:25, Holman Christian Standard Bible).

Resource: PASUGO God's Message (September 2016), page 2

I shared this not to argue with anyone about faith, beliefs, or religion but to address this misconception about us not reading or relying on the Bible. Matter of fact, our faith is deeply rooted on the Bible and all our practices are based on it.

Why am I in need of addressing this concern? Because first, as human beings we hate fake news. Second, those people are circumventing the truth in order for them to gain praises. Lastly and most importantly, it is my duty to tell others the truth.

What stimulated me to start this thread? It all started one Sunday morning when I was waiting for my therapy session. I sat down in our town's plaza near the place where there were therapists talking. An old man was bragging about his church while twisting his stories, saying we members of the Church Of Christ don't read the Bible and our ministers just invented our doctrines.

His bigotry is exceptional. He's in normal condition and I am clinging to just half of who I am because I'm suffering from mild stroke, but I still feel blessed I'm not desperate to bring others down to satisfy myself.

I know some people may argue with me on this thread but let me inform you that I'm not commissioned to debate regarding our beliefs and your beliefs. All quoted above are supported by Bible verses and published by one of our Church's ministers. If you want to raise your concerns, visit any of our local churches and look for our ministers. Again, this thread is to just clarify the allegations of those critics who are just looking from the outside. We members have our Bibles at home, read them, and even note down verses that are cited by the ministers during our worship service. In short, it's very transparent. Expect more bigotry from comments later on. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but the truth remains.

You may hate or criticize me and my thread but I will never hate you back. I'll continue sharing my thoughts and ideas regarding internet tricks and tutorials.

Last edited:
The Bible is an open book, but not anyone can understand it clearly without thorough study and digging deeper. But that doesn't mean that only a Minister/Pastor can understand it. With diligence and study, anyone can understand it. In the first place your Minister started from no knowledge of the Bible. Where did he get the ability of understanding it? Of course, from God above, from Seminary or Teachers, and by studying it. So you see, anyone can read the bible and understand it. James 1:5 says that if we lack wisdom, we may pray and ask God for it. So what hinders anyone of us from reading and understanding it? True, with just our knowledge only, we cannot comprehend the depths of the Scriptures, but with God's help, nothing is impossible.

Even in the New Testament, we can read that ordinary church members read and examine the Scriptures if Paul's preaching is from God above. Did Paul prohibit them to read it? If they were allowed by the Apostles to read and examine it, then what prohibits us to do so?

Acts 17:11 - Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

My brother, do not be misled by those who claimed sole authority of the Bible, and those who think that they had the power to unlock the knowledge of the Bible. Because you cannot read in the Bible that Christians were prohibited to read it. But it is quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Style ng pastor nila ito upang huwag mabisto ang mga mali nilang paraan ng pagtuturo ng Bibliya
Kasi naman kapag pinabayaang magbasa magbitbit ng Bibliya ang members sa loob ng kanilang simbahan
Maaring makwestyon ang kanilang mga pastor ng mga member na mapagusisa xD
Tapos ang pinapabasa sa mga members ang aklat nilang PASUGO na adulterated na xD hahaha

Huwag kami!

...and Jesus said, "those who is not againts me is with me".

Let's not argue about religious belief dahil madami na namamatay, nadadamay at nagbubuwis ng buhay dahil dito.
Respect is all we can do and what the world's need. Peace to each and everyone. Spread love not hate!

I recomend you ALL to listen to BRO. ELI SORIANO ... ALL Questions of Faith have been answered by Him tru Bible.. May God GUID you All.....

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Or type nu lng name nya sa you tube.. And observe. Bro. Eli Soriano
Note: marami syang busherz kya ingat sa pag oobserve..

I recomend you ALL to listen to BRO. ELI SORIANO ... ALL Questions of Faith have been answered by Him tru Bible.. May God GUID you All.

I recomend you ALL to listen to BRO. ELI SORIANO ... ALL Questions of Faith have been answered by Him tru Bible.. May God GUID you All.....

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Or type nu lng name nya sa you tube.. And observe. Bro. Eli Soriano
Note: marami syang busherz kya ingat sa pag oobserve..

I recomend you ALL to listen to BRO. ELI SORIANO ... ALL Questions of Faith have been answered by Him tru Bible.. May God GUID you All.
Well I admire Bro Eli Soriano's intelligence when it comes to bible verses. But the problem with him is out of context interpretation of the verses. He is very good in pointing out verses to answer your questions but most of it is taken out of context. Though not all. Any bible scholars can attest to that. Any theologian who study textual criticism can argue with it.

Well I admire Bro Eli Soriano's intelligence when it comes to bible verses. But the problem with him is out of context interpretation of the verses. He is very good in pointing out verses to answer your questions but most of it is taken out of context. Though not all. Any bible scholars can attest to that. Any theologian who study textual criticism can argue with it.

any one can argue and critizise ... Open naman si bro. Eli sa discusion or debate to prove na mali ung sinasabi mung out of context.. Para malaman ang totoo at tama dapat me katunayan..

Ecc 7:27
Narito, ito'y aking nasumpungan, sabi ng Mangangaral, na iniaagapay ang isang bagay sa iba, upang matagpuan ang kadahilanan:

any one can argue and critizise ... Open naman si bro. Eli sa discusion or debate to prove na mali ung sinasabi mung out of context.. Para malaman ang totoo at tama dapat me katunayan..

Ecc 7:27
Narito, ito'y aking nasumpungan, sabi ng Mangangaral, na iniaagapay ang isang bagay sa iba, upang matagpuan ang kadahilanan:
True he is open to debate but still the same rhetoric of arguments. Same out of context interpretation of it..

Status
Not open for further replies.