What's new

Closed Climate Change- what can we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mga ka phc, eto po yung letter na ine-email ko sa mga govt offices, eto yung una kong email, sa barangay namin. Di po ako miyembro ng anong organisasyon, kusang loob ko lng tong ginagawa.

Attention:: Emergency

Brgy. Chairman and Subordinates:

I am a concerned citizen in this barangay. This is generally addressed to all humans in this planet-earth. The intent of this letter is to alarm you with the global crisis we are now currently experiencing, to take actions the very soonest possible if not immediately because we almost ran out of time.

We may not feel and sense the presence of this crisis, but its clear that we have witnessed the impact of "climate change" in the past few years.

What can we do?
1. plant trees
2. eat less meat especially beef
3. strictly prohibit burning of any garbage
4. encourage your constituents to reduce travels by cars planes ships etc.
5. promote healthy habits like walking and travel using bicycles
6. conduct awareness programs to all residents on what is "discipline" when it comes to waste disposal procedures
7. promote renewable energy(solar wind etc)
8. discourage residents in using single-use plastics if possible as a sign of boycot to companies concerned
9. think of any measures that could at least spread awareness to this critical situation all throughout the city the province the country and the whole world
10. implement the rules with sincerity and dedication for the future of our generation
P.S. conserve water & electricity

For further clarification, this is not a demand nor a request, rather a challenge on how we care for the future and at the same time a call on your competence as our leaders in the community. Thank you.

Very respectfully yours,

Anonymous Environment

Last edited:
This is discussion not an argument

Eat less meat-
what's the connection of grass growing on deadlands and the raising of livestocks/poultries? its not to abolish livestocks/poultries, its a sort of minimizing them

renewable energy-
yes true, its expensive! but we can afford if we want to. just like any service center, if they dont have the proper amenitiies tools personnel, do you expect quality service from them? same with our climate, if we still stick on traditions, coz its affordable, then we're just fooling ourselves, buying cheaper shoes monthly rather buying more expensive yearly, which do you think is more expensive?

travel by combustion engines-
it just reminds that if your travel is not that necessary, then stay. Moreover, you said environment harards, how can we divert it to safe environment if you yourself is actually a pollutant that dont even bother sacrifice to walk going anywhere just a kilometer away coz you are just conscious to your health not the environment

implementing rules "incentives"-
that's so impractical non-sense irrelevant desperate act. its not by giving fish its definitely teaching how to fish. In addition your thoughts are amazing, but for the benefit of the doubt, its just a fantasy.

It's not merely the authorities who feed us the info, its the environment-concerned advocates. We are not the main pollutant but we can be a main contributor to a healthy climate.

It is a fact that our environment could heal itself. Ex: waste water turns to clean water, grasses grow on any abandoned concrete/cemented places etc. A concrete example is us humans. Our body has its own defense to any diseases like cancer. It even prioritizes fighting the cancer over healing a wound, lets just say, on same time. Same with the Climate, if it could no longer withstand the damage(cancer), then there's the Change. If cancers have treatment, how much more with Climate.

Hold your horses, bro. I just stated my opinion and I only disagree to some of your proposals. Eating less meat to ease climate change is more of a fantasy to me than giving incentives to people who really care and doing serious work in easing up climate change. I understand your intentions are good. But good intention does not always mean good result. We are still in the dark about what exactly is the main cause cause of climate change. Despite our current technology, data are still insufficient to be certain about it due to many variables to consider in affecting the climate. Let's not be hasty offering or implementing radical policies, without any concrete data to support or things we don't fully understand. I hope we can agree on that. My intention is to make every individuals to be responsible of their action regarding this problem. I'm against government intervention due to prone to corruption. So, if you are really serious about climate change, start from yourself first. Who knows? people around you may follow. Leave the people or the government alone as there are some other important issues that needs to be addressed. And honestly, most of your proposals are truly nice to hear/read, but it is lacking of our understanding of the current society.

Another thing, if you really believe that our environment would heal itself no matter what, then stop the hysteria like the world will end in 10 years or so. Relax, our environment will heal itself, as what you just said.

I don't know where you got your info ...

Regarding not eating meat, especially beef: yes, cows produce a lot of methane and it's bad but that's not the only reason: the main reason is that to produce 1 kg of beef you need an average of 10 000 litres of water... yes, just for 1 kg! Water is a precious resource and becomes more scarce every year...

Today renewable energies are cheaper and in many countries, cheaper than coal.

Example: The effective rate for solar power spread across the life of a system is $0.08/kWh. The average cost for conventional energy is $0.12/kWh and rising. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

You take the example of Germany... so the latest news in Germany about coal:

"Germany has announced plans to phase out all coal power plants by 2038 and is already planning for worker retraining or early retirement schemes to ensure no one is left behind. According to the International Energy Agency, global investment in coal-fired power declined last year by nearly 3 per cent to the lowest level since 2004, and final investment decisions for new plants continue to decline."
You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Countries are massively ditching coal for renewable... Costa Rica lives already at 90% renewable and they plan 100% in 5 years...
Regarding electric cars: all the European carmakers are phasing out the combustion cars for electric and hydrogen ones...

Eating less meat because it consumes so much water. Geez, this is hard. Btw, producing 1 kg of chocolotes needs approx 17k litres of water. How about we start eating less chocolate first? Regarding renewable energy, let's avoid drawing any conclusions yet before Germany or Costa Rica or any countries become full-blown renewable energy consumer. I maybe wrong about things, but nothing is certain yet so let's not overthink this.

To all: I want to be clear that I am not an anti-climate change person. I believe climate change is real and it's a problem. All I care and strongly against are climate change alarmists who contribute none but panic, hysteria, and mis/malinformation to all. It only adds fuel to the fire and not quite helpful in any sense.

Hold your horses, bro. I just stated my opinion and I only disagree to some of your proposals. Eating less meat to ease climate change is more of a fantasy to me than giving incentives to people who really care and doing serious work in easing up climate change. I understand your intentions are good. But good intention does not always mean good result. We are still in the dark about what exactly is the main cause cause of climate change. Despite our current technology, data are still insufficient to be certain about it due to many variables to consider in affecting the climate. Let's not be hasty offering or implementing radical policies, without any concrete data to support or things we don't fully understand. I hope we can agree on that. My intention is to make every individuals to be responsible of their action regarding this problem. I'm against government intervention due to prone to corruption. So, if you are really serious about climate change, start from yourself first. Who knows? people around you may follow. Leave the people or the government alone as there are some other important issues that needs to be addressed. And honestly, most of your proposals are truly nice to hear/read, but it is lacking of our understanding of the current society.

Another thing, if you really believe that our environment would heal itself no matter what, then stop the hysteria like the world will end in 10 years or so. Relax, our environment will heal itself, as what you just said.

Eating less meat because it consumes so much water. Geez, this is hard. Btw, producing 1 kg of chocolotes needs approx 17k litres of water. How about we start eating less chocolate first? Regarding renewable energy, let's avoid drawing any conclusions yet before Germany or Costa Rica or any countries become full-blown renewable energy consumer. I maybe wrong about things, but nothing is certain yet so let's not overthink this.

To all: I want to be clear that I am not an anti-climate change person. I believe climate change is real and it's a problem. All I care and strongly against are climate change alarmists who contribute none but panic, hysteria, and mis/malinformation to all. It only adds fuel to the fire and not quite helpful in any sense.
The difference between chocolate and beef production is that beef uses A LOT more land than chocolate and worldwide beef consumption is far more than chocolate!
The world consumed 129.5 billion pounds of beef in 2016 (about 58 millions metric tons), worldwide chocolate consumption, yearly average, is 7.2 million metric tons

Having said that, I do agree that we have to cut on chocolate too...

I strongly disagree with you when you say "Despite our current technology, data are still insufficient to be certain about it due to many variables to consider in affecting the climate." as several thousands of scientists (real ones) worldwide are providing very reliable data on the climate emergency.
You will notice that I don't use the words "climate change" anymore but "climate emergency" as it now established that the climate is changing, so now I think we need to act and fast!

FYI. if you have time and will, here are links to the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the United Nations body for assessing the science related to climate change). It contains data and analyses from scientists around the world:

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

An IPCC Special Report on the impacts of global warming of 1.5°C (optimistic view)

1570407713934.png

1570407859664.png

More details here: You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

And here, an interesting French study (in English)

Personally, I'm trying to do ma part for many years already (started 30 years ago): I'm living 75% on solar since 2012, I don't use car or bus (I admit it's easy when you don't live in a big city like Manila), I bike, I don't use single-use plastic, I plant trees as many as I can, I'm vegetarian... among other things!

Attachments

Last edited:
The issue here is climate emergency and what we can do individually to help.
It happens that (very sadly) the Philippines is ruled by duterte's administration up to now so I mention it ... but as I said, we are ruled by oligarchs and this is true for this administration and the precedent ones. Aquino or duterte, there is no difference! All oligarchs who just want to make money even if it means killing the planet :mad:

You are so short-sighted that you can't see the big picture and just hit me because I am anti-duterte! You even don't care about the planet... we are living the end of the earth if we, and our governments, don't act. That's a fact!
opps nasaktan, pinansin yung comment ko ngayon sa kanya. bagay kayo tandem ni "Renato Reyes". lahat kontra kayo. trabaho nyo yan e.kayo lang ang magaling.

If you believe on "Climate Emergency" ( as per Mr. Awinahe) you dont need sufficient data to support that belief. I highly respect your stand. It's up to the people on whether meats or chocolates have to be minimized. They are capable of exploring the fact behind that concern.

What we are doing right now is actually spreading the information and with this alone, its a great contribution to this "Emergency". And i salute you being part of this conversation, nothing to argue, no offense, just purely sharing of ideas.

The difference between chocolate and beef production is that beef uses A LOT more land than chocolate and worldwide beef consumption is far more than chocolate!
The world consumed 129.5 billion pounds of beef in 2016 (about 58 millions metric tons), worldwide chocolate consumption, yearly average, is 7.2 million metric tons

Having said that, I do agree that we have to cut on chocolate too...

I strongly disagree with you when you say "Despite our current technology, data are still insufficient to be certain about it due to many variables to consider in affecting the climate." as several thousands of scientists (real ones) worldwide are providing very reliable data on the climate emergency.
You will notice that I don't use the words "climate change" anymore but "climate emergency" as it now established that the climate is changing, so now I think we need to act and fast!

FYI. if you have time and will, here are links to the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the United Nations body for assessing the science related to climate change). It contains data and analyses from scientists around the world:

An IPCC Special Report on the impacts of global warming of 1.5°C (optimistic view)

View attachment 702724

View attachment 702725

More details here: You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

And here, an interesting French study (in English)

Personally, I'm trying to do ma part for many years already (started 30 years ago): I'm living 75% on solar since 2012, I don't use car or bus (I admit it's easy when you don't live in a big city like Manila), I bike, I don't use single-use plastic, I plant trees as many as I can, I'm vegetarian... among other things!

I appreciate your effort in providing info regarding beef vs chocolates. Here is my stance so you don't waste so much time presenting technicalities about your point. CO2 as the main factor of climate change is still debatable up to this point. No concrete empirical evidences yet can show that limiting CO2 emmisions (man-made) will ease up the climate. This is still hypothesis created by some intellectuals who are supported by politicians to gain platform (pardon, if this sounds conspiratorial). Some scientists are looking for, if not, the potential cause of climate change like the sun, moving of tectonic plates, water vapor in the atmosphere (clouds), etc. So no matter how many articles you show to prove your point, there is no consensus yet in the scientific community that CO2 is the major cause of climate change. Climate is so complex that by eliminating CO2 would solve the problem is I consider as delusion.

So, thank you for your views and I appreciate you sharing your points and links to look for regarding the climate change problem. If you think what you're doing is good, then more power to you.

If you believe on "Climate Emergency" ( as per Mr. Awinahe) you dont need sufficient data to support that belief. I highly respect your stand. It's up to the people on whether meats or chocolates have to be minimized. They are capable of exploring the fact behind that concern.

What we are doing right now is actually spreading the information and with this alone, its a great contribution to this "Emergency". And i salute you being part of this conversation, nothing to argue, no offense, just purely sharing of ideas.

I respect your points regarding climate change. My disagreement to you does not mean I am absolutely right. What I mean is that we should not poke something we know so little about, because chances are we could end up making it worse than better. I am not saying to do nothing at all. If you're really serious, then do it without you risking others. It's irresponsible to do things in the dispense of others. I hope we all could agree on that. Btw, no offense taken.

Haha true. There's been an emergency for like centuries now.
According to statistics, the world's temperature increased to like... 1-degree Celcius? I don't recall the number but based on the book I read years ago... the world is naturally heating up. Although we are experiencing hotter "room temperatures" now due to lesser trees. And perhaps... dahil may air-con na. Comparisons are easily done once you've had a taste of perfection.

We are actually more aware now than ever. Halos lahat ng science exhibits na nasalihan ko, ine-encourage ang environmentalism. At ang pagiging "organic". Mga stores and countries and cities are trying to reduce plastic usage. etc etc but pollution is still there in many many ways. Not against the idea... but I think we should be more mindful na we cannot live without our advanced technology. And what makes us breathe now, literally kills the resources we have. So let's not be hypocrites.

I appreciate your effort in providing info regarding beef vs chocolates. Here is my stance so you don't waste so much time presenting technicalities about your point. CO2 as the main factor of climate change is still debatable up to this point. No concrete empirical evidences yet can show that limiting CO2 emmisions (man-made) will ease up the climate. This is still hypothesis created by some intellectuals who are supported by politicians to gain platform (pardon, if this sounds conspiratorial). Some scientists are looking for, if not, the potential cause of climate change like the sun, moving of tectonic plates, water vapor in the atmosphere (clouds), etc. So no matter how many articles you show to prove your point, there is no consensus yet in the scientific community that CO2 is the major cause of climate change. Climate is so complex that by eliminating CO2 would solve the problem is I consider as delusion.

So, thank you for your views and I appreciate you sharing your points and links to look for regarding the climate change problem. If you think what you're doing is good, then more power to you.

I respect your points regarding climate change. My disagreement to you does not mean I am absolutely right. What I mean is that we should not poke something we know so little about, because chances are we could end up making it worse than better. I am not saying to do nothing at all. If you're really serious, then do it without you risking others. It's irresponsible to do things in the dispense of others. I hope we all could agree on that. Btw, no offense taken.
Yes, no offense, I agree with you. I just hope that you will let people decide on their own, whether they stand/favor OR they are against the "so little"

Last edited:
I appreciate your effort in providing info regarding beef vs chocolates. Here is my stance so you don't waste so much time presenting technicalities about your point.
I don't think I wasted my time, these links are also for others than you, who could be interested in this topic ;)

Yes, no offense, I agree with you. I just hope that you will let people decide on their own, whether they stand/favor OR they are against the "so little"

Hey, I don't remember forcing you or anyone to side on my stand. I just stated the things I don't agree, that's all. The current narratives, specifically the left's, about climate change is collapsing that's why you're hearing noises now from them (like the girl in the UN summit). Again, nothing is certain yet about climate change. What all we know about climate change is that it is real and it's happening.

I don't think I wasted my time, these links are also for others than you, who could be interested in this topic ;)

Well, good for you then. :)

Mas malaki kasi yung land area kaylangan sa pag raise nang cattle for meat production at syempre nag produce nang methane yung utot nang baka so the more yung baka the more utot goes to the atmosphere.

Pero ganun din naman yung pag produce nang chocolate, mono culture is also causing harm to the natural biodiversity of our forest.

Hey, I don't remember forcing you or anyone to side on my stand. I just stated the things I don't agree, that's all. The current narratives, specifically the left's, about climate change is collapsing that's why you're hearing noises now from them (like the girl in the UN summit). Again, nothing is certain yet about climate change. What all we know about climate change is that it is real and it's happening.

Well, good for you then. :)
-end of conversation-😝

I am now asking for your insights on what could be the "root cause"of this phenomenon I say? Coz its seem easier to figure out things if we start from the bottom

-end of conversation-😝

I am now asking for your insights on what could be the "root cause"of this phenomenon I say? Coz its seem easier to figure out things if we start from the bottom

Sure. I'm happy to do so.

As I stated previously, root cause is still undetermined, but there are potential causes scientists are currently focusing on. One of which is the sun that scientists are seriously monitoring. Scientists believe that solar flares from the sun is causing global warming. We had the remarkable solar flare in 1989 which disrupts Canada's power grids and the biggest solar flare ever recorded on April 2001. Notice the time line when people are starting to notice the changes in climate. Another one is the moving of tectonic plates due to Earth's core leakage in some cr@cks on the Earth. And then, we have active volcanoes which release gases in the atmosphere. These volcanic gases create water vapors in the atmosphere causing the global temperature to rise significantly. Those are few examples which btw are the causes of greenhouse effect in the planet Venus. Active volcanoes + active tectonic + the sun = global warming in steroids. A literal fry in one's grease situation. An additional info which surprised me when I first heard it. Some scientists agreed that the Earth today is greener than ever due to increase of CO2 in the atmosphere. No wonder socialists/leftist are quite noisy right now.

What I stated here are still theories/hypotheses with no certainties yet but it is scientific and no obvious political leaning or whatsoever. These make way more sense to me and far way better than the mainstream narratives which are obviously politically motivated with almost no scientific basis at all, in the guise of compassion and sympathy for the planet. I hope you have a bit of understanding now why I'm strongly against to people who want to implement radical policies just to further political interest that's based on pure ideology. I hope I can make you (or anyone),if not convince, at least think that there are other narratives worth checking before jumping to any conclusions.

We're heading ever deeper into Climate and Ecological Catastrophe.

0.5°C (0.9°F) safety: 1990s
1°C (1.8°F) vicious feedbacks: 2015
1.5- 2°C (2.7- 3.6°F) horrors: 2025-30
3°C (5.4°F) billions dead?: 2040
4°C (7.2°F) human survival?: 2050
5°C (9°F) game over: 2060-2070 If we don't stop all emissions now.

Sure. I'm happy to do so.

As I stated previously, root cause is still undetermined, but there are potential causes scientists are currently focusing on. One of which is the sun that scientists are seriously monitoring. Scientists believe that solar flares from the sun is causing global warming. We had the remarkable solar flare in 1989 which disrupts Canada's power grids and the biggest solar flare ever recorded on April 2001. Notice the time line when people are starting to notice the changes in climate. Another one is the moving of tectonic plates due to Earth's core leakage in some cr@cks on the Earth. And then, we have active volcanoes which release gases in the atmosphere. These volcanic gases create water vapors in the atmosphere causing the global temperature to rise significantly. Those are few examples which btw are the causes of greenhouse effect in the planet Venus. Active volcanoes + active tectonic + the sun = global warming in steroids. A literal fry in one's grease situation. An additional info which surprised me when I first heard it. Some scientists agreed that the Earth today is greener than ever due to increase of CO2 in the atmosphere. No wonder socialists/leftist are quite noisy right now.

What I stated here are still theories/hypotheses with no certainties yet but it is scientific and no obvious political leaning or whatsoever. These make way more sense to me and far way better than the mainstream narratives which are obviously politically motivated with almost no scientific basis at all, in the guise of compassion and sympathy for the planet. I hope you have a bit of understanding now why I'm strongly against to people who want to implement radical policies just to further political interest that's based on pure ideology. I hope I can make you (or anyone),if not convince, at least think that there are other narratives worth checking before jumping to any conclusions.
I noticed that you only mentioned astronomical and geological creatures as the cause of this emergency. What I'm trying to say is that, us humans have nothing to do with climate change? To simplify, what do you think is the condition of the entire universe at present if I say just an example, no human existence since year 2010? That's just less than 10 years from now. Would it be the same as what's the condition right now? I hope it makes you sense.

Isa sa dahilan ng unti-unting pagbabago ng ating klima ay ang pagtaas ng bahagdan ng Greenhouse gases tulad ng CO2 at methane; na siyang humaharang sa init na papalabas sana sa mundo at tuluyang naiipon ang init sa loob nito. Pangunahing nagpoproduce ng CO2 ay yung galing sa mga tambutso ng mga sasakyan at mga naglalakihang planta gaya ng mga Coal Fired Power Plant na isa sa nagsusupply ng kuryente sa bansa.

Tambutso ng Sasakyan: Ang mundo ngayon ay unti-unti ng nagbabawas sa paggamit ng petroleum at libo-libo na ring battery powered vehicles ang mina-manufacture at nagsisilabasan na sa market. Isa na ang Pilipinas na tumangkilik sa mga bagong uri ng sasakyan ngayun na siyang dahilan na merong nilabas na mandate ang government na ipiphase-out na ang mga makalumang sasakyan.. Kung nais natin makatulong na mabawasan ang CO2 , tangkilikin natin ang mga bagong sasakyan na mas kakaunti lang ang CO2 emmision. Huwag sasali sa mga rally na gustong hadlangan ang mga pagbabago ng trasportasyon tulad ng paghadlang ng ibat-ibang transport group.
Coal-fired Power Plant: Isa sa source of electricity ng Pilipinas at isa din sa may malaking kontribusyon sa CO2 sa hangin natin. Meron tayong geothermal pero hindi sapat. Meron din tayong Hydro-power pero hindi rin sapat.. Pero meron tayong Nuclear Powered Plant na nakatiwangwang lang at bakit hinahadlangan lang ng iba. Alam natin na ito ang pinakamalinis ngayon at karamihan ito rin ang ginagamit sa buong mundo. Sayang ang buwis natin na kinakaltas bawat sahud napupunta lang para sa maintainance ng planta na hindi ginagamit. Hayaan nating mapaandar ito kung gusto nating mabawasan ang CO2 sa hangin...

I noticed that you only mentioned astronomical and geological creatures as the cause of this emergency. What I'm trying to say is that, us humans have nothing to do with climate change? To simplify, what do you think is the condition of the entire universe at present if I say just an example, no human existence since year 2010? That's just less than 10 years from now. Would it be the same as what's the condition right now? I hope it makes you sense.

We can't tell yet whether we caused this climate change (cc) or it's inevitable based on the history of the Earth. CO2 (human) emission was one of the hypotheses but it is weakening its stand as the major contributor of global warming because no clear evidence yet to show CO2 is the major cause of it. IPCC, which is the intern'l org for cc, is losing credibility because of data manipulation issues to further the narrative of CO2 emissions as the driving force of cc, hence, skepticism arises to this hypothesis. That's why they are looking for other angles and scientists in different fields are collecting data to find out more. Venus is the actual planet with global warming and theories are formulated how Venus ended up like that. By those theories alone, with an actual manifestation of the problem, it makes more sense to check those for considerations.

So the best approach, imo, is to wait what the expert in the fields will find out about climate change first before we formulate policies. Policies based on compassion alone won't work and sometimes ended up more disastrous. That's what history is always trying to teach us.

PS: Universe, or our own galaxy per se, is almost no known life existence, yet it's very chaotic that the possibility of the Earth to get destroyed via external force is higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.