What's new

Closed Climate Change- what can we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mga ka phc, eto po yung letter na ine-email ko sa mga govt offices, eto yung una kong email, sa barangay namin. Di po ako miyembro ng anong organisasyon, kusang loob ko lng tong ginagawa.

Attention:: Emergency

Brgy. Chairman and Subordinates:

I am a concerned citizen in this barangay. This is generally addressed to all humans in this planet-earth. The intent of this letter is to alarm you with the global crisis we are now currently experiencing, to take actions the very soonest possible if not immediately because we almost ran out of time.

We may not feel and sense the presence of this crisis, but its clear that we have witnessed the impact of "climate change" in the past few years.

What can we do?
1. plant trees
2. eat less meat especially beef
3. strictly prohibit burning of any garbage
4. encourage your constituents to reduce travels by cars planes ships etc.
5. promote healthy habits like walking and travel using bicycles
6. conduct awareness programs to all residents on what is "discipline" when it comes to waste disposal procedures
7. promote renewable energy(solar wind etc)
8. discourage residents in using single-use plastics if possible as a sign of boycot to companies concerned
9. think of any measures that could at least spread awareness to this critical situation all throughout the city the province the country and the whole world
10. implement the rules with sincerity and dedication for the future of our generation
P.S. conserve water & electricity

For further clarification, this is not a demand nor a request, rather a challenge on how we care for the future and at the same time a call on your competence as our leaders in the community. Thank you.

Very respectfully yours,

Anonymous Environment

Last edited:
Great initiative TS (y)

Development of renewable energies should be a must... the only problem this administration prefers to develop coal plants, the worst possible energy regarding the environment and health damages.
They need to understand that everything regarding renewable energies not only is cheaper now but also produce more wealth.... the market of green energies is huge (either for electricity or cars). Sadly the Philippines is ruled by oligarchs who don't care about our future as long as they get the most money as they can even if it means killing the planet! :mad::mad:

But individually we absolutely need to act! We don't have to wait for our government to take decisions as this will never happen...

So we can, right away:
- plant trees (easy if you are in a rural area),
- stop using plastic bags (take your own containers or baskets when you go sa palengke) and disposable plastic items,
- stop eating red meat and generally eat less meat (your health will thank you),
- if you can don't use cars or buses: walk or bike
- don't litter and/or pick up all the plastics in your surroundings or when you go somewhere

s
Great initiative TS (y)

Development of renewable energies should be a must... the only problem this administration prefers to develop coal plants, the worst possible energy regarding the environment and health damages.
They need to understand that everything regarding renewable energies not only is cheaper now but also produce more wealth.... the market of green energies is huge (either for electricity or cars). Sadly the Philippines is ruled by oligarchs who don't care about our future as long as they get the most money as they can even if it means killing the planet! :mad::mad:

But individually we absolutely need to act! We don't have to wait for our government to take decisions as this will never happen...

So we can, right away:
- plant trees (easy if you are in a rural area),
- stop using plastic bags (take your own containers or baskets when you go sa palengke) and disposable plastic items,
- stop eating red meat and generally eat less meat (your health will thank you),
- if you can don't use cars or buses: walk or bike
- don't litter and/or pick up all the plastics in your surroundings or when you go somewhere
si duterte na naman sinisi neto!

pansinin mo ang mga posts at comments nyan, puro paninira kay duterte. malaki galit nyan kay duterte.

s

si duterte na naman sinisi neto!
pansinin mo ang mga posts at comments nyan, puro paninira kay duterte. malaki galit nyan kay duterte.
The issue here is climate emergency and what we can do individually to help.
It happens that (very sadly) the Philippines is ruled by duterte's administration up to now so I mention it ... but as I said, we are ruled by oligarchs and this is true for this administration and the precedent ones. Aquino or duterte, there is no difference! All oligarchs who just want to make money even if it means killing the planet :mad:

You are so short-sighted that you can't see the big picture and just hit me because I am anti-duterte! You even don't care about the planet... we are living the end of the earth if we, and our governments, don't act. That's a fact!

The issue here is climate emergency and what we can do individually to help.
It happens that (very sadly) the Philippines is ruled by duterte's administration up to now so I mention it ... but as I said, we are ruled by oligarchs and this is true for this administration and the precedent ones. Aquino or duterte, there is no difference! All oligarchs who just want to make money even if it means killing the planet :mad:

You are so short-sighted that you can't see the big picture and just hit me because I am anti-duterte! You even don't care about the planet... we are living the end of the earth if we, and our governments, don't act. That's a fact!

We have to blame no one but just ourselves. Let's just act accordingly, maybe time comes that everyone will somehow realize how worst the damage we have done to our environment

We have to blame no one but just ourselves. Let's just act accordingly, maybe time comes that everyone will somehow realize how worst the damage we have done to our environment
This time has to come very fast as we are nearing the "too late" time!
I am very pessimistic about the capacity of people to act individually, especially Filipinos :(

Things I don't agree:

Eat less meat. I first heard this to one of the house representatives in the US who proposes this to regulate people from eating meat especially beef. The reason behind it is that cows' fart produces CO2 emission, hence, adding green house gasses. Absurd!
There's an experiment, I believe, in Africa, on how to change deadlands to greenlands. By raising livestocks there (e.g. pigs, chickens, cows, etc), grass appeared in the area. Now that's a miracle, eh? (credits to TedEd)

Promote renewable energy. Today's renewable energy is expensive and costly to manufacture. There are European countries (Germany, for example) who tried to use renewable energy as primary source of energy but switch to coal due to energy demand. The reality is that renewable energy today can't sustain our energy demands so promoting it is very impractical. Nuclear energy is an alternative, but because of Chernobyl and Fukushima, it's risky. Instead, promote new ways or discover a new one.

Encourage to reduce travel by cars, plane, ships, etc. Our environment, especially this city, actually encourage people to travel by cars for safety because of environmental hazards.

Things I think that must be implemented:

Proper education of garbage disposal to all communities. This is a very hard task to the implementors and is going to take years of hard work to see the results. Japan did this and we've seen the results.

Garbage disposal presense. This is sometimes the main reason why most people just throw their trashes somewhere. No garbage/trash bin seen in the area. Most of us are lazy enough/impractical to keep the trash in ourselves until we find one.

Incentivize the people who are serious and really care for the environment. People who plant and maintain number of trees in the community, do proper waste disposals, and conserve water/energy consumption. Reward those who do good. Even kids know that.

Strictly keep public places, if not clean, at least, presentable. LGUs should be proactive and serious in maintaining public places. Manila is a good example.

Proper punishment to the undisciplined. This is to all citizens including the authorities. No one is exempted.

Let us not all believe what the authority feeds us about the climate change. It is true that climate change is a problem and we somehow contribute to global warming today, but when people claim we are the main culprit of it, there is no data to support the claim. Yes, we contribute to global warming, but we are not the main contributor. Please know the difference.

Concentrate on what is in our own domain first, before we look outside our own and blame one another because it will only manifest our own hypocrisy and box the people we blame as bad. And labeling people as bad irresponsibly is not making us more but less productive.

Last edited:
Things I don't agree:

Eat less meat. I first heard this to one of the house representatives in the US who proposes this to regulate people from eating meat especially beef. The reason behind it is that cows' fart produces CO2 emission, hence, adding green house gasses. Absurd!
There's an experiment, I believe, in Africa, on how to change deadlands to greenlands. By raising livestocks there (e.g. pigs, chickens, cows, etc), grass appeared in the area. Now that's a miracle, eh? (credits to TedEd)

Promote renewable energy. Today's renewable energy is expensive and costly to manufacture. There are European countries (Germany, for example) who tried to use renewable energy as primary source of energy but switch to coal due to energy demand. The reality is that renewable energy today can't sustain our energy demands so promoting it is very impractical. Nuclear energy is an alternative, but because of Chernobyl and Fukushima, it's risky. Instead, promote new ways or discover a new one.

Encourage to reduce travel by cars, plane, ships, etc. Our environment, especially this city, actually encourage people to travel by cars for safety because of environmental hazards.

Things I think that must be implemented:

Proper education of garbage disposal to all communities. This is a very hard task to the implementors and is going to take years of hard work to see the results. Japan did this and we've seen the results.

Garbage disposal presense. This is sometimes the main reason why most people just throw their trashes somewhere. No garbage/trash bin seen in the area. Most of us are lazy enough/impractical to keep the trash in ourselves until we find one.

Incentivize the people who are serious and really care for the environment. People who plant and maintain number of trees in the community, do proper waste disposals, and conserve water/energy consumption. Reward those who do good. Even kids know that.

Strictly keep public places, if not clean, at least, presentable. LGUs should be proactive and serious in maintaining public places. Manila is a good example.

Proper punishment to the undisciplined. This is to all citizens including the authorities. No one is exempted.

Let us not all believe what the authority feeds us about the climate change. It is true that climate change is a problem and we somehow contribute to global warming today, but when people claim we are the main culprit of it, there is no data to support the claim. Yes, we contribute to global warming, but we are not the main contributor. Please know the difference.

Concentrate on what is in our own domain first, before we look outside our own and blame one another because it will only manifest our own hypocrisy and box the people we blame as bad. And labeling people as bad irresponsibly is not making us more but less productive.
This is discussion not an argument

Eat less meat-
what's the connection of grass growing on deadlands and the raising of livestocks/poultries? its not to abolish livestocks/poultries, its a sort of minimizing them

renewable energy-
yes true, its expensive! but we can afford if we want to. just like any service center, if they dont have the proper amenitiies tools personnel, do you expect quality service from them? same with our climate, if we still stick on traditions, coz its affordable, then we're just fooling ourselves, buying cheaper shoes monthly rather buying more expensive yearly, which do you think is more expensive?

travel by combustion engines-
it just reminds that if your travel is not that necessary, then stay. Moreover, you said environment harards, how can we divert it to safe environment if you yourself is actually a pollutant that dont even bother sacrifice to walk going anywhere just a kilometer away coz you are just conscious to your health not the environment

implementing rules "incentives"-
that's so impractical non-sense irrelevant desperate act. its not by giving fish its definitely teaching how to fish. In addition your thoughts are amazing, but for the benefit of the doubt, its just a fantasy.

It's not merely the authorities who feed us the info, its the environment-concerned advocates. We are not the main pollutant but we can be a main contributor to a healthy climate.

It is a fact that our environment could heal itself. Ex: waste water turns to clean water, grasses grow on any abandoned concrete/cemented places etc. A concrete example is us humans. Our body has its own defense to any diseases like cancer. It even prioritizes fighting the cancer over healing a wound, lets just say, on same time. Same with the Climate, if it could no longer withstand the damage(cancer), then there's the Change. If cancers have treatment, how much more with Climate.

Things I don't agree:

I don't know where you got your info ...

Regarding not eating meat, especially beef: yes, cows produce a lot of methane and it's bad but that's not the only reason: the main reason is that to produce 1 kg of beef you need an average of 10 000 litres of water... yes, just for 1 kg! Water is a precious resource and becomes more scarce every year...

Today renewable energies are cheaper and in many countries, cheaper than coal.

Example: The effective rate for solar power spread across the life of a system is $0.08/kWh. The average cost for conventional energy is $0.12/kWh and rising. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

You take the example of Germany... so the latest news in Germany about coal:

"Germany has announced plans to phase out all coal power plants by 2038 and is already planning for worker retraining or early retirement schemes to ensure no one is left behind. According to the International Energy Agency, global investment in coal-fired power declined last year by nearly 3 per cent to the lowest level since 2004, and final investment decisions for new plants continue to decline."
You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Countries are massively ditching coal for renewable... Costa Rica lives already at 90% renewable and they plan 100% in 5 years...
Regarding electric cars: all the European carmakers are phasing out the combustion cars for electric and hydrogen ones...

Remember:
1. The forests are being killed.
2. The oceans will soon be dead.
3. Pollinators are being wiped out.
4. Birds are vanishing.
5. Arctic Ice is doomed.
6. Fertile soil is disappearing.
7. Water's scarce.
8. Emissions are accelerating.

Status
Not open for further replies.