What's new

Closed Ang chess player

Status
Not open for further replies.

_GRANDMASTER_

Forum Expert
Reaction
I have played chess since age six or seven. At first, it was just a fun game I could win. As I grew up, I kept on winning. But the Philippines offers little support for chess players. (On the whole, the people prefer basketball.) There are many excellent chess players in the Philippines, but chess is regarded as a poor man’s game. Powerful, wealthy people who could help chess players advance in society just ignore them.
Despite these disadvantages, I kept on playing, representing my country in regional tournaments and trying to make some money here and there. But to become an elite chess player, you need to invest in your development, and I could never afford to hire a coach or secure serious training. I used to study from newspaper clippings
At around age 16, I sank into depression. Even though I recognized my special talent for playing chess, there seemed to be no point in developing it. Whether I worked hard or not, no one would care. It felt like there was no realistic hope of pursuing a career as a chess professional. Out of frustration, I stopped studying, and my player rating began to slide.
One day, I got the sudden urge to leave. I was 18 years old, and I had lived on my own for two years. At that point, I had received an offer to play on the chess team of a small American university, and I decided I should take the offer and, at the very least, get a degree to prepare me for the future.

21742864_1101197226677474_804777797396119416_n.png.jpg
- GM Wesley So

Attachments

totoo yan.. kaya umalis ng bansa at lumipat sa america si wesley kasi wala talagang suporta makukuha ang chessplayer sa pinas. ngayon america na ang nakikinabang sa galing ni wesley.. pero true blooded pinoy pa din sya.
☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.