What's new

Closed Test your website

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixkit

Honorary Poster
Reaction
Let's assume you have a website named You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. We wanna know if the end product is responsive and speedy enough for normal users.

How do we verify this? I'm recommending the following tools:

1. Lighthouse
You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

This is the same as PageSpeed Insights and the tool in web.dev at You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

2. WebPageTest
You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

This tool gives a surprisingly amount of info for free. I like it more than Lighthouse

3. Website Speed Test

For websites with images, this tool is a must. This tool is actually referenced by WebPageTest. However you need to run it separately if you wanna see which images needs to be optimized.

Honorable mentions:

- Pingdom Website Speed Test

I've checked others. Most aren't free or lacking details in their test or just knockoffs of WebPageTest.

Both Lighthouse and WebPageTest are open source and can be forked and installed from their repo. So everything is free.

From my personal experience, I built a simple but modern portfolio website in React.

Image test
My initial image test I got a C grade. I was making my users download worth 14MB of images on the landing page. I have a 1GB internet speed here in the US so to me everything is fast.

I managed to optimized it to just 40KB of images. I didn't remove any images. I just used the proper image sizes based on the user's viewport and using webp format. I wouldn't know if I didn't test. Now I got an A grade.

Overall speed
I was getting flagged by Lighthouse and WebPageTest with some large block of html elements on my page that are apparently slowing things down by 2 seconds. My initial grade was B but after optimization, I got an A.

Security and caching
My website doesn't need a login so I thought I should get an A grade here or at least N/A but I got an E grade instead. It turns out I need to enable some http headers. Gladly my hosting allows to setup http headers and my app thru React Helmet, I can set meta tags. I got an A grade eventually.

The point: Until you measure things and identify what needs to be improved, there's no way you can address those issues. Whether you are a season developer or newbie, the same principle applies: measure first and have a target benchmark before fixing or addressing anything.

Do you have something that will check for the speed of a website when just using mobile data? And do you have recommended tools for checking vulnerabilities of websites? Thanks!

Do you have something that will check for the speed of a website when just using mobile data? And do you have recommended tools for checking vulnerabilities of websites? Thanks!

Good question. Yes, Google Chrome dev tools has a way to simulate slow connection. For website vulnerability, use Synk You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. The good thing is Synk is integrated in the testing process of WebPagetest. If you click on the security detail score, it will give a link to Snyk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back