Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmrie_

in memoriam 1995-2021
Solutions
Reaction
What is socks5 VPN?

SOCKS5 is an internet protocol which routes packets
between a server and a client using a proxy server. To put it simply – your data is routed through proxy server that generates an arbitrary IP address before you reach your destination. ... Related: Difference between VPN and Proxy Explained.

How can I use socks5?

1. Google Chrome is a well-known and very popular browser developed by Google. It quick, simple and stable. ...
  2. Run Chrome.
  3. Choose the provider or see below for LAN settings, and click Settings.
  4. Congirue your socks.
  5. Congirue your socks.
  6. Enjoy using socks with Google Chrome.
Is a Socks proxy encrypted?

SOCKS5 is just a transport protocol on top of TCP/UDP but below application layer. Thus it's comparable with TCP and UDP, too. There's no inherent encryption in SOCKS, but you application has to care about this (it's not a VPN technology, but a proxy at last).

What is the use of socks proxy?

A SOCKS server is a general purpose proxy server that establishes a TCP connection to another server on behalf of a client, then routes all the traffic back and forth between the client and the server. It works for any kind of network protocol on any port. SOCKS Version 5 adds additional support for security and UDP.

How do I know that the proxy socks is working?

If you created the proxy by yourself you should first of all check whether there is an open port (the p argument only works if the concerning process is yours or you are root):

netstat -tlnp

This should give you a line like: (I have a proxy on localhost:8888)

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:8888 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

If you found such a line or the proxy isn't yours, try sending packets through it. For example request a web page with curl:

curl --socks5 localhost:8888 binfalse.de

Should output some HTML stuff. Hope this helps to search for mistakes ;-)

Aux: For my example I created the proxy via:

ssh -o ServerAliveInterval=60 -D8888 someone@somewhere

Replace someone with your username and somewhere with your destination server. Of course using OpenSSH is just one method in a bunch of possible socks5 proxies.

credits from
google ofcourse
stackoverflow

super user forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

About this Thread

Replies
    Views
    Participants
Last reply from:
Rewind