What's new

Help PLDT Fibr - Internet Speed Slow When I Use a Router

antonal

Leecher
Hi. I have the following configuration:

PLDT Fibr Plan 1699
Modem: GPON HG6245D
Router: ASUS RT-AC1200G+

I have to use a router because I have several devices connecting to the net, although they don't take a lot of bandwidth.

The router and switches are all gigabit, and the cables all Cat 6.

The modem address is 192.168.1.1 and the router address is 192.168.2.1.

I called and complained because my results in Speedtest were only 94 Mbps DL/UL. They did some configuration and the speed went up to 200.

A month later, the speed went down to less than 100, and when I called, was told that it should be 400. They did some configuration and it didn't work.

Before I called again, I decided to experiment and connect directly to the modem using a laptop and cable and found out that the speed was 400+. I changed the cable connecting the modem to the router, and and the speed went up to 400+. I thought that the defective cable was the problem, but the next day, the speed went down to 200. I rebooted the modem, router, and PC, and the speed was still slow, but at least it was no longer less than 100.

Here's the weird thing: I connected the laptop to the second port of the modem and got the following results: 392 DL, 192 UL.

My questions:

Does the length of the cable between the modem and router affect the speed? Right now, the distance between the two is around one meter, but I'm using a 2m-cable because it's what I have available.

If I decide to ditch the router, can I use one port of the modem and connect to network switches? Will that solve the speed problem?

Can I use the router in bridge mode, and will that solve the problem?

Or do I call the company and ask them to either set the modem to bridge mode?