What's new

Help Macbook Pro 2017 Touch Bar | Missing drivers after update

Besmomukhamo

Enthusiast
Hello,

Can anyone help me with my MacBook Pro 2017 running MacOS High Sierra?

Issue:
After updating, the MacBook froze and got stuck in a flashing question Mark folder. I was able to fix this by using the recovery tool, wiping out the SSD and reinstalling the macOS.
After reinstalling, I was setting up the MacBook but it wouldn't go through and is showing the error message "A critical software update is required for your Mac, but an error was encountered while installing this update" -- "Your Mac can't be used until this update is installed". The only options here are "Shutdown" and "Try again". Try again would only return the same error.

Basically I was in a loop here. What I did was to boot into safe mode and I was able to get in. The problems I found are:

in Safe mode;
Touch Bar isn't working
Touch ID isn't working
Audio isn't working
Ports aren't working as well
No keyboard backlight

no matter where I search, there are no drivers or any files that shows any signs that these drivers were installed.

When I go to system preferences, it shows that "no devices were found" (i.e, Sound options)

Since this is a Mac, I have tried installing the latest version of MacOS this model could get (Ventura) but I still get the same issues above. I also tried reinstalling the original version of the Mac OS the this device came with and the same issues are present.

Am running out of troubleshooting steps to deal with this. I think that there were missing drivers and I'm not sure if that's possible due to damaged hardware, but I also wonder why I couldn't find any drivers for the malfunctioning items above.

Question:
1. Is there a way to manually install missing drivers on a Mac?
2. Is it possible that I have a broken firmware? and how can I reinstall a clean version of the software aside from using the recovery tool?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who will respond to my quiries.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your MacBook Pro. It seems like you've already tried several troubleshooting steps, but I'll try to help you further.

Regarding your questions:

On macOS, most drivers are integrated into the operating system and are automatically installed during the OS installation or updates. However, in some cases, you may need to manually install specific drivers for certain hardware components or peripherals.

To manually install drivers, you would typically download them from the manufacturer's website and follow their installation instructions. However, in your case, it's unlikely that missing drivers are causing the issues you're facing since they were working fine before the update. It's more likely that the update process or the update itself caused the problems.

2. Is it possible that I have a broken firmware? And how can I reinstall a clean version of the software aside from using the recovery tool?
It's possible that the firmware may have been affected during the update process, but it's difficult to determine without further investigation. To reinstall a clean version of the software, you can try creating a bootable macOS installer on a USB drive and use that for the reinstallation.

Here's how you can create a bootable macOS installer:

1. Make sure you have a USB drive with at least 12GB of storage.
2. Download the macOS installer from the App Store on another Mac if you have access to one, or you can download it from Apple's website.
3. Connect the USB drive to the Mac you're using to create the installer.
4. Open the Terminal app (Applications > Utilities > Terminal).
5. In the Terminal window, type the following command and press Enter:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ [version].app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume
Replace [version] with the version of macOS you want to install (e.g., High Sierra).
Replace MyVolume with the name of your USB drive (make sure to use the correct name).
6. Enter your administrator password when prompted and press Enter.
7. The Terminal will display the progress of creating the bootable installer. Once it's done, you'll see the message "Install media now available."

After creating the bootable installer, restart your MacBook Pro and hold down the Option key while it boots up. You should see the option to boot from the USB drive. Select the USB drive and follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall macOS.

Please note that reinstalling macOS will erase your data, so make sure you have a backup before proceeding.

If reinstalling macOS doesn't resolve the issues, it may be necessary to contact Apple support or visit an Apple authorized service provider to diagnose and repair any potential hardware problems.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck in resolving the issues with your MacBook Pro!

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your MacBook Pro. It seems like you've already tried several troubleshooting steps, but I'll try to help you further.

Regarding your questions:

On macOS, most drivers are integrated into the operating system and are automatically installed during the OS installation or updates. However, in some cases, you may need to manually install specific drivers for certain hardware components or peripherals.

To manually install drivers, you would typically download them from the manufacturer's website and follow their installation instructions. However, in your case, it's unlikely that missing drivers are causing the issues you're facing since they were working fine before the update. It's more likely that the update process or the update itself caused the problems.

2. Is it possible that I have a broken firmware? And how can I reinstall a clean version of the software aside from using the recovery tool?
It's possible that the firmware may have been affected during the update process, but it's difficult to determine without further investigation. To reinstall a clean version of the software, you can try creating a bootable macOS installer on a USB drive and use that for the reinstallation.

Here's how you can create a bootable macOS installer:

1. Make sure you have a USB drive with at least 12GB of storage.
2. Download the macOS installer from the App Store on another Mac if you have access to one, or you can download it from Apple's website.
3. Connect the USB drive to the Mac you're using to create the installer.
4. Open the Terminal app (Applications > Utilities > Terminal).
5. In the Terminal window, type the following command and press Enter:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ [version].app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume
Replace [version] with the version of macOS you want to install (e.g., High Sierra).
Replace MyVolume with the name of your USB drive (make sure to use the correct name).
6. Enter your administrator password when prompted and press Enter.
7. The Terminal will display the progress of creating the bootable installer. Once it's done, you'll see the message "Install media now available."

After creating the bootable installer, restart your MacBook Pro and hold down the Option key while it boots up. You should see the option to boot from the USB drive. Select the USB drive and follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall macOS.

Please note that reinstalling macOS will erase your data, so make sure you have a backup before proceeding.

If reinstalling macOS doesn't resolve the issues, it may be necessary to contact Apple support or visit an Apple authorized service provider to diagnose and repair any potential hardware problems.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck in resolving the issues with your MacBook Pro!

My problem though is that the thunderbolt ports doesn't seem to recognize any devices, will still give it a shot. Thanks!

My problem though is that the thunderbolt ports doesn't seem to recognize any devices, will still give it a shot. Thanks!
I apologize for the confusion earlier. If your Thunderbolt ports are not recognizing any devices, it could indicate a hardware issue rather than a missing driver problem.

To troubleshoot this issue further, you can try the following steps:

1. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC):
- Shut down your MacBook Pro.
- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release it.
- Wait for a few seconds, then press the power button again to turn on your MacBook Pro.

2. Reset the NVRAM:
- Shut down your MacBook Pro.
- Press the power button and immediately hold down the Command + Option + P + R keys.
- Keep holding the keys until you hear the startup sound for the second time, then release them.

3. Check for software updates:
- Go to the Apple menu and select "System Preferences."
- Click on "Software Update" and install any available updates for macOS.
- Restart your MacBook Pro after the updates have been installed.

4. Test the Thunderbolt ports with different devices:
- Try connecting different Thunderbolt devices, such as external hard drives or displays, to the ports to see if they are recognized.
- Make sure the devices you are using are compatible with your MacBook Pro and have their own power source if required.

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's possible that there may be a hardware problem with your Thunderbolt ports. In such cases, I recommend contacting Apple support or visiting an Apple authorized service provider for further assistance. They will be able to diagnose the problem and provide appropriate solutions or repairs.

I hope these steps help resolve the issue with your Thunderbolt ports. Best of luck!