TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 15 min.
MAKES: 40 servings
- 6 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Tortilla chips
2 tablespoons of salsa equals 17 calories,trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 62 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber,trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: Free Food.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, green pepper, onions, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, oil, jalapeno and seasonings. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Serve with chips. Yield: 5 cups.
Originally published as Garden Salsa in Taste of Home August/September 2000, p66