What's new

Free will & Determinism

Kaplok Kaplok

Forum Veteran
Elite
Reaction
solution-strategy-path-questions-clear-planning-ideas-business-leadership-straight-to-success-...jpg

LS: According to logic, free will and determinism are mutually exclusive. They cannot co-exist.

OG: Incorrect. You apparently haven’t defined the terms. Define the terms free will and determinism, and I will show you your error.

LS: Predeterminism is the philosophy that all events of history, past, present and future, have been already decided or are already known (by God, fate, or some other force), including human actions. Free will is the capacity of agents to choose between different possible courses of action unimpeded.

OG: Your definitions are pretty good. Although you don’t need to include the concept of foreknowledge. You can change “are already known” to “are determined.” But your definition of free will is spot on. So if nothing impedes my choice, I do it freely. Therefore if I have a choice between tea and coffee, and I choose tea, and nothing prevents me from choosing the tea that I want to choose, then I am free. Even if everything is determined by destiny/God. The determination by destiny/God does not prevent me from choosing the tea that I want to choose. If I wanted to choose the tea, but destiny/God prevented me from choosing that, then indeed I would not be free. But that’s not what is at play here. You are treating destiny/God like an element that exists with reality that manipulates reality rather than the determinant of reality. What you’re saying is that in order for a choice to be free, it must be determined by nothing. But choices that are determined by nothing are what we call insanity. I chose to marry a woman because I am a man. Am I enslaved? No. I freely did what I wanted to. Nothing impeded me from choosing what I wanted to do. Yet the choice was determined by my being a heterosexual man. All of our choices are determined. Most of them we make freely. There is no contradiction. But for some reason destiny/God is the only thing that doesn’t get to be a determinant. That’s what isn’t logical, my friend. You’re acting as if determination by destiny/God is an impediment to the ability to choose what you want to do, but it isn’t. If you can describe for me a choice that isn’t determined, but that is free, I’ll revise my position.

Attachments

Last edited:
while i agree that choices should not be made randomly i strongly disagree that the reason for choosing is always god especially when that god is a masterpiece of someone else (human)

while i agree that choices should not be made randomly i strongly disagree that the reason for choosing is always god especially when that god is a masterpiece of someone else (human)
Then omit the word god. Kaya nga destiny/god ang nakasulat diba.

nah destiny and god means the same, they suggest mapping of events so that god word i used covers destiny as well
Anyway, it wasn't claimed that "destiny" is the reason for choosing. It just states that there is a predetermined result, and that is not a conflict to free-will. You just pick a path, but still follow a certain road.

Anyway, it wasn't claimed that "destiny" is the reason for choosing. It just states that there is a predetermined result, and that is not a conflict to free-will. You just pick a path, but still follow a certain road.
now you started to delete replies again which suggest that you are pissed off by my replies haha nahiya ka na binago mo ang definition ng destiny? normal lang nama yun na mag deviate tayu sa conventional wag mo ikahiya hehe

now you started to delete replies again which suggest that you are pissed off by my replies haha nahiya ka na binago mo ang definition ng destiny? normal lang nama yun na mag deviate tayu sa conventional wag mo ikahiya hehe
Sira. Wala lng tlagang sustansya mga comments mo. Better leave it open for others.

Hindi ka naniniwala na may GOD lods?