What's new

Closed Esophageal pouches (diverticula)

Status
Not open for further replies.

domdee71

Forum Veteran
Established
Reaction
  • An esophageal diverticulum is a stretched tissue that develops anywhere along the esophagus, pushing outward through its muscular wall. They are rare, and can be con******* or acquired. Typically a single pouch forms, most often near the top of the esophagus; this is called Zenker’s diverticulum. In other cases, a pouch forms nearer to the bottom of the esophagus (epiphrenic) or, less frequently, in the middle. A single diverticulum ranges from 1 to 4 inches in diameter. Very rarely, tiny (~5 mm) diverticula emerge along the entire length of the esophagus, numbering from a few to a hundred or more. This condition, called intramural pseudodiverticulosis, is pathogenically different from the other pouches, but is associated with poor esophageal motility.
  • Non-con******* diverticula develop from a combination of uneven pressure and weak areas of muscle and tissue in the esophagus. Pressure can stem from structural disorders (i.e., a malfunctioning sphincter muscle at either end of the esophagus), from poor coordination of the swallowing mechanism, poor movement of food through the esophagus, and from inflammation on the outside of the esophagus that pulls on its wall.
  • Diverticula do not always cause problems. Some collect food, which can lead to food regurgitation, dysphagia (difficulty swallowing), chest pain, aspiration pneumonia, and feeling a need to clear one’s throat. As food collects in the pockets, it promotes bacteria in the esophagus, which commonly leads to halitosis (bad breath).
  • Esophageal diverticula that are asymptomatic or only minimally annoying can go without treatment. Other cases might be treated with a change to a bland diet and increased water intake and/or antacids. Patients with more problematic diverticula, including those with underlying motility disorders, might require minimally invasive or open surgery, or other procedures such as repeated mechanical dilations of the esophagus.
  • © University of Washington
Spoiler contents are visible only to Established Members.

To summarize the overview sa itaas about this is basically,
people with this rare disorder sa 'yong lalamunan ay may
parang pocket or pouch na maaring matrap ang mga
pagkain o tablet medicines, which is hard to get rid off.

You can feel like, there's something stuck inside your
throat, and swallowing/couching it out doesn't help.
If ever may lalabas, super mabaho especially
kung matagal na nagtatago doon.

My mother has this, but she doesn't mind it.
And I think I have also this,
may similar signs
na kasi like there's something stuck at mahirap
iwala. I don't know if this has to do with genes,
because I'm not an expert with this stuff.

More about this:

Attachments

Very informative. I feel ihave this sometimes or cgur sore throat lang. Best medz ko ay applecider lang. :)

How to prevent it? Is there anyway?
There are different kinds of diverticula, one which is Zenker — that probably develop because of the aging process. They form at a point where a defect in the muscular wall.
But di ako sure on how to prevent it, but you can try these...

There are different kinds of diverticula, one which is Zenker — that probably develop because of the aging process. They form at a point where a defect in the muscular wall.
But di ako sure on how to prevent it, but you can try these...
Thanks for the informations

Status
Not open for further replies.