What's new

BongBong Marcos & Rodrigo Duterte Hired Army of Trolls

TrootsLang

Honorary Poster
Reaction

Duterte camp spent $200,000 for troll army, Oxford study finds

MANILA, Philippines — A University of Oxford study found that $200,000, around P10 million, was spent to hire trolls who would spread propaganda for President Rodrigo Duterte and target his opposition.​

“I spent P10 million? Me? Maybe in the elections, in the elections I spent more than that…They were all during the campaign,” Duterte said.​

“Oxford University? That’s a school for the stupid people),” he said.​

The study said that Duterte’s team of 400 to 500 cyber troops post nationalistic and pro-government comments and interact with dissenters through harassment and individual targeting. Membership in cyber troop teams in the Philippines is "liminal" but with some coordination.

Popular forms of individual targeting involve “verbal abuse, hate speech, discrimination and/or trolling against the values, beliefs or identity of a user or a group of users online” usually over a long duration.

Fake accounts, which, in many cases, are “bots”—bits of code designed to mimic human users—were also found to have been deployed in the Philippines. These were often used to flood social media networks with spam and fake news—propaganda made to seem like legitimate news articles—and inflate the number of likes, shares and retweets to create “an artificial sense of popularity, momentum or relevance.”

- You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. &You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Duterte’s Troll Army in the Philippines

Since Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte came to power, there have been concerns about his administration’s distortion of online information raised by his opponents. A recent report provides further evidence of what many see as a worrying development.​

According to a recent report released by non-government organization Freedom House, the Philippines is among the 30 countries in the world which deploy some form of “manipulation to distort online information.”​

The report suggests Duterte has a You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. that inflates popular support for government policies. It said Duterte’s political party hired a social media army composed of about 400 to 500 individuals in the 2016 presidential election campaign.

Though Duterte has You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. that he deployed a team of social media commentators to support his candidacy, his party has You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. that it created an online army to boost Duterte’s popularity.

- You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. By You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Bong Bong Marcos hired a Thousand of Trolls

“…Wala tayong makuha sa channel 7, wala tayong makuha sa Inquirer, wala tayong makuha sa PhilStar, binabanat-banatan kami ng Rappler.

“Eh sabi ko, the only option that we have is social media. Kaya doon kami nag-concentrate. Kaya nag-hire ako ng libu-libong troll army. Ipapakilala ko sa inyo ang aking troll army. Can you please show yourselves? Emerald, France, Gerald. Tatlo ang troll army natin, tatlo,” he said in a rally.

video: (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.)

Marcos’ ‘confessions’: Philippine president-elect admits to ‘trolls’, needing guidance – and doing it for his parents

President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jnr has admitted using a “troll army” in his election campaign, asking politicians to help him because he is not prepared for the job, and running for the You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.’ top position for his parents.

- You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

My troll army won Philippines presidency for me, admits dictator’s son Bongbong Marcos

The president-elect of the Philippines has admitted the existence of a “troll army” that helped him to an overwhelming victory in last month’s election.​

- You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Trolls? ‘Show me one, they don’t exist’ – Marcos Jr. (deny pa hehez)

“Find me one. Show me one. Just one. They don’t exist. You show me the place where there are hundreds of trolls sitting in front of a computer spreading fake news. It doesn’t exist,” Marcos said in an interview with CNN Philippines​

“There are no trolls. We have no trolls. None. Not a single one. I have been offered a click army, I’ve been offered a troll. I did not use it,” Marcos said​

Philippines labeled as 'patient zero' for disinformation - communications professor​

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines today is the "patient zero" of digital disinformation, a communications associate professor at De La Salle University warned​

A study conducted by DLSU associate professor Jason Cabañes and his team found that the growth of disinformation operations in the Philippines, particularly those on social media, has been on an upward trend in recent years. This was because of the breadth of the creative and digital industries in the country.​

Last edited: