What's new

Shame on this President

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent article by By: Solita Collas-Monsod
You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Reader, we have a President who has been described as “bastos,” “sinungaling,” “mamamatay-tao,” vindictive, a misogynist and a blasphemer. And that is the least of it. There is also the charge that he is practically handing over the Philippines to China under several pretexts—showing an independent foreign policy, getting on the good side of a major international player, taking advantage of the benefits that China can give, etc.

The label “de facto dictator” has also been used, mainly because of his control of the legislature and the Supreme Court, which have practically abdicated their powers to him, and the fact that he has been allowed to abuse his powers by using government entities and agencies to go after his critics and to help his friends (Bong Go, Bato dela Rosa).

That is not all. Of late, a certain “Bikoy” has connected his family to drugs. If this allegation is true, and the burden of proof is still with this “Bikoy,” it would make a mockery of his war on drugs, and explain why the big ones get away. The more malicious souls opine that the drug factories here are destroyed so foreign suppliers can have a field day. I do not subscribe to this notion.

On the other hand, he has been credited as presiding over the tax reform program (TRAIN), vetoing some truly egregious portions of it; the rice tariffication law; the free tuition policy at the tertiary education level; making Filipinos feel safer in their neighborhoods because of the elimination of drug addicts and “istambays” (never mind how). Also, vetoing the portions of the 2019 national budget that were obviously pork barrel. My husband Christian, who lawyers pro bono for farmers, also has high praise for how the Philippine National Police under Gen. Oscar Albayalde has been most receptive to their requests for assistance and protection.

So there you have it, the pluses and the minuses in a nutshell. I invite you, Reader, to add or subtract to the list above, and weigh them to see whether on the whole, he is a net positive or a net negative for the Philippines.

I have weighed them (helped by data from the Philippine Statistics Authority’s StatDev that show how he has performed against his own Philippine Development Plan, and my students in development economics), and have found President Duterte wanting. I, therefore, will vote against his cronies and those he supports in this coming midterm elections because it is crucial that there be more checks and balances in place over the next three years of his administration, to try to minimize the losses, or maximize the gains, if you will.

My name, Reader, has been included in that infamous matrix that supposedly identifies those who want to oust President Duterte and conveniently connects them to the “Bikoy” videos. You must have noticed, Reader, that the media organizations they implicate happen to be among the most highly respected organizations—PCIJ, Rappler, Vera Files—in the Philippines, respected because their conclusions are always evidence-based, with transparency as to their methodology.

And where did that matrix come from? According to presidential spokesperson Sal Panelo, it came from the President himself. And since it came from the President, it must be true. What kind of logic is that? Especially considering that the President has been caught out in public with glaring inaccuracies—which are excused as “he was only joking.” Did his intelligence agencies give him that matrix? None has come out to admit their participation. So I can only conclude, more logically than Sal, that it must be the product of the President’s fertile imagination. Good grief.

I state for the record (I originally did not want to dignify that matrix with a statement) that I have never participated in any “oust Digong” movement. Why should I be interested in the outcome of the elections if I was part of a plot to oust him? He included me probably because I am a member of the Rappler board.

And probably because I have criticized him more often than I have praised him. But that isn’t my fault. That is his. I merely call it as I see it—not from the top of my head, but after doing my homework. Which is what he should be doing, shame on him.

hahaha...wag ka tang@....yung mga magagandang ginawa ni duterte wag mo gawin, ayaw ni dutere ng drugs, so ibig sabihin adik ka

Awinahe at fabbriche yung KANINA pa itinatanong dto na...KUNG ma rape ng adik ang kapatid mo or kung yung nanay mo na lng ang ma rape(tiyak naman na may nanay kayo e :) )... Anong magiging reaksyon ninyo?
Sasagutin nio ba ang tanong na ito na kanina pa ibinabato sa inyo o.... iiwasan?

Youlanda fund, saff 44, 12bilyong flag pole project, magkakatabi na inodoro para magsasabay tatae yung 8 diredyo haha, tanim bala at iba pa solve u muna yan bgo batikus gang batikos lng kyo pero walang alm.BAYARAN.

masayang masaya ako mga ka phc dahil marami pa pala dito ang hindi nadadala aa mga fakenews at paninira na mga balita. kung sa tingin natin sino yung mga totoong maging leader at makakatulong sa bansa natin yun talaga ang atin susuportahan.

Wag ka nga nagpopost ng wala naman kakwentakwenta, kung pwede lang sana magpa giveaway ka nalang ng mga acct o load man lang para naman may pakinabang ka pa dito. Atsaka may ibang site naman para dyan sa kadilawan mo eh wag mo dinadala dito.

Edi sa korte ka mag Reklamo bakit dito ka nagrereklamo, hindi naman kami ang nagpakulong? ang dami mong reklamo pero mali ka naman ng pinuntahan para maayos yan problema mo.. pag may paratang ka kasuhan mo, o pag may reklamo ka idiretso mo dun sa pinagrereklamohan mo, wag dito..
Pinagsasabi mo jan! Hindi ako nagrereklamo. Nagcocomment ako sa topic ng thread na ito. Thread ito tungkol sa mga kapalpakan at kademonyohan ni Duterte.

Non-sense reply from someone who even did not read the post!
Putik ka sabi niya ituro mo kung paano kumita diyan sa pinagagagawa mo ide tinulungan pa sana kita sigurado may binabayad sa inyo at marami kayo share mo naman pera din yan . magkalat ka sa iba huwag dito matatalino ang ka phc hindi sila vovo

Awinahe at fabbriche yung KANINA pa itinatanong dto na...KUNG ma rape ng adik ang kapatid mo or kung yung nanay mo na lng ang ma rape(tiyak naman na may nanay kayo e :) )... Anong magiging reaksyon ninyo?
Sasagutin nio ba ang tanong na ito na kanina pa ibinabato sa inyo o.... iiwasan?
Sasampahan ko ng kaso at ipakukulong. Hindi ko ipapapatay dahil hindi ako kriminal. Kriminal din ang pumatay sa kriminal. At hindi pa maituturing na kriminal ang isang tao hanggang hindi pa nacoconvict ng korte. Si De Lima hindi kriminal. Ung mga pinatay ng mga pulis sa tokhang nila, akusado pa ang mga un, hindi kriminal. Si Imelda Marcos, un ang criminal dahil naconvict na ng korte. Innocent ang isang tao until proven guilty. Hindi guilty until proven innocent.

HOY!! akala mo masisiraan mo si digond dito wag kang mag KALAT NANG KABOBOHAN tanong mo sa sarili mo kung anong mabuti sa bansa... alam namin na DIE HARD kanang DILAW..... at tanong ko sayo mag kano ba binabayad sayo nang mga dilaw ha!!!!!

mas nakakahiya ung nag benta ng lupa para maitayo ung battlefield sa Scarborough at ano nga namang laban ng pinas sa china wala tayo sa ¼ ng pwersa nila pero kahit ganun atleast nakikita nating ipinaglalaban ng presidente ang lupain natin eh si panot anong ginawa at si mar? chumupa lang sila ng chumupa sa china

mas nakakahiya ung nag benta ng lupa para maitayo ung battlefield sa Scarborough at ano nga namang laban ng pinas sa china wala tayo sa ¼ ng pwersa nila pero kahit ganun atleast nakikita nating ipinaglalaban ng presidente ang lupain natin eh si panot anong ginawa at si mar? chumupa lang sila ng chumupa sa china
hahahahahahaha tama ka dyan... sa ang tawag ko kay mar ay mister kargador hahahahahah....... alam ni duterte na wala tayong laban sa china kung mag declare cya nang war against china.... yan kasi mga taga dilaw ang alam lang nila kundi bumula yung mga bibig nila..... ITO tanong ko sa mga taga dilaw yung naka upo si PNOY anong nagawa nya ABER! SALITA mga kumag na dilaw

Status
Not open for further replies.