What's new

YøùTùbé - ad blocker *****down platform facing challenge over privacy issue

1000658058.jpg

YøùTùbé’s recent *****down on ad blocker usage in the platform is facing a challenge over privacy issue.

Privacy consultant based in Ireland, Alexander Hanff filed a complaint in October with the Irish Data Protection Commission (DPC) against YøùTùbé for alleged unlawful surveillance.

Hanff argues that the ad blocker detection scripts that YøùTùbé is running are spyware and are îllégâl under EU online privacy laws.

Historically, Hanff already reached to European Commission regarding the use of ad blocker detection tools in 2016. And the commission confirmed that such scripts fall under Article 5.3 of the ePrivacy Directive—a measure requiring websites to ask for user consent for storing or access to information on a user’s device, like cøøkíés.

The commission wrote at the time that Article 5.3 is not limited to any particular type of technology, such as cøøkíés. And that the measure “would also apply to the storage by websites of scripts in users’ terminal equipment to detect if users have installed or are using ad blockers.”

YøùTùbé says that using ad blockers violates its Terms of Service, and that ads on the platform helps its content creators. If a user is using an ad blocker when accessing YøùTùbé, a notification will repeatedly appear blocking video playback—all the while plugging its ad-free YøùTùbé ρrémíùm subscription.

“I consider YøùTùbé’s [ad blocker detection] script to be spyware—a.k.a. surveillance technology, as it is deployed without my knowledge or authorization to my device for the sole purpose of intercepting and monitoring my behavior,” Hanff explained.

If the European Commission concludes that YøùTùbé’s ad blocker detection scripts are unlawful under EU’s ePrivacy Directive, they could fine the platform and impose changes to its anti-ad blocker systems.

However, the outcome won’t likely make any changes on the existing systems for other places outside the EU region.

Attachments

Last edited:
Ako na gumagamit lang ng Puretuber. Hindi lng ad blocker, pahat ng yt prem'ium features nandoon at gumagana din ng login hindi na kaylangan ng microG. Btw, thanks for information ts

Ako na gumagamit lang ng Puretuber. Hindi lng ad blocker, pahat ng yt prem'ium features nandoon at gumagana din ng login hindi na kaylangan ng microG. Btw, thanks for information ts
ako naka revanced halos kami lahat 😂 lalo na sa tab ng anak ko , nagwawalankasi kapag maisturbo

sa ibang bansa îllégâl yung ginawa ng YøùTùbé na mag block ng adblockers.

kahit ano gawin ng YøùTùbé gagawa at gagawa parin mga tao ng paraan para lang ma block ang ads

Dapat lang hindi manaig yung pagpalabas nila na against sa TOS yung adblockers sa YT na yan. Baka gayahin pa ng mga piratang mga sites yung ganyan, eh baka puro pop up nalang yung nasa Internet natin.

paano di ma lugi garapalan sa ads in video pati video ng bata bigla lalabas ng walang kwenta
Imagine, 15 seconds na unskippable ad yung tumambad tas dalawa pa yung ipapakita.

Last edited:
Back