What's new

What is a Cult?

Kaplok Kaplok

Forum Veteran
Elite
Reaction
What is a Cult?

Conventional definition of a cult would paint a picture in your mind of a small group with irrational practices and belief, and would engage in oppression of its subjects.

It is not wrong. But that would be too narrow of a definition. And that, my friend would make you vulnerable to being part of one without knowing. This is regardless of how skeptic you are.

YOU ARE ALREADY IN A CULT..
..and I won't blame you if you dont admit it.

A cult/potential cult is anything that allows us to navigate the world. It allows us to perform all unconcious choices. And I mean, every choice.

It will be an exhausting ordeal if in each and every decision and choice, we have to weigh out the pros and cons. That would be inefficient, don't you think? So, thanks to those (cults), we can proceed life in DOING and not THINKING. We rely on cults, aka "beliefs", to provide us INTUITION for quick efficient decisions.

Thinking is valuable resource. We dont want to waste it for mundane stuff anyway. "If the ad says so, lets give it a try"

WHEN TO SKEDADDLE?
As pointed out, cults/potential cults serves us as a guide to navigate the world. If it is this useful, why should we run away? And when?

Segragation. When the ideas of the cult starts turning polarizing. When you think the opposite/outside party is stûpid, and vice versa. When you you start dehumanizing each other.
(Ex. BBM vs Leni, religion vs atheist, iphone vs android)

Toxic. When it starts showing imbalance in power with the members. When lack of success becomes your fault. When guilt tripping is a norm. When you start to self doubt.
(Ex. Parents vs children, spouse/partner vs spouse/partner, boss vs employee)

Abuse. Yes any form of abuse, mental, emotional, physical, financial, or (ehemm) sêxual. Its really up to you at what point you decide when it is already within the realms of abuse.

Lastly,

Urgency. When urgency becomes paramount. This is really the root of all of it. The segragation, toxicity and abuse is justified due to urgency. Even Intelligent people can be tricked through urgency. From the idea of "this is your last chance to buy it at a low, low price.." or "the end of the world is near", urgency is both the cult's and your eventual downfall, for this is when everyone loses in touch with logic and reason.

WHAT TO DO AFTER?
If you successfully get out of a cult, it is normal that it would hurt in the beginning. This is akin to the experience of being in the dark for a long time, just to be exposed to the light, which will burn your eyes. For some, they will have to go through all the steps of the grieving process. This is normal.
Here are some helpful steps to help you out.
1. Evaluate where it all went wrong.
2. Spend a little more time and effort thinking about your choices. Focus on stuff which you have a control with.
3. Do not be idle for too long. You mind is like a sponge, it will fill up with unwanted ideas. Choose your cult as soon as you can. But wisely.
4. If everything goes south, quit and go back to square 1.

We, since we are social beings, we will always be a part of a cult. It is useful, yet dangerous. Heck, you can even start your own cult!
How To Build Your Own Cult
So, be safe out there. Be wise. Use your head, and tread with caution. And as Jordan Peterson stated on his book 12 rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, "Rule 2 : Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping"

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
that would mean anything that teaches world navigation is cult and that would include the schools

i strongly disagree about unconscious choice as there is no such a thing, i would say it is just some careless choice

you cannot make a choice when you are unconcscious