What's new

Robin Padilla told: English also an official language'

1655342203196.png

(Updated 2:19 p.m.) Some online users reminded neophyte senator-elect Robin Padilla that the English language can be used for official purposes after he said he only wants to engage in debate at the Senate using the Filipino language.

The 52-year-old self-proclaimed “summa cum laude of cutting classes” and incoming Senate newbie said this remark on Tuesday, June 14, when reporters asked about his preparedness to debate on the plenary floor once the 19th Congress opens next month.

“Una, hindi naman Amerikano mga kaharap ko para mag-English ako. Siguro kung Amerikano, well, I’m willing to debate,” he said.

He also said he has been taking English lessons with his two and four-year-old kids.

A Twitter You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.informed Padilla of the usage of the Filipino and English languages.

“FYI Robin: English is also an official language of the Philippines. Promulgation of the Constitution shall also be in Filipino and English. These are in the Constitution. It [is] also not just Americans who speak English – many other nations do. Wag na magpalusot,” the online user said.

Article 14 Section 7 of the 1987 Constitution mentioned Filipino and English as the country’s official languages. There is a preference for the usage of the English language in congressional sessions and debates, but legislators also utilize a mix of both languages.

Quoting on a news report another Twitter You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.was unsurprised by this remark of Padilla.

“Oh please, stop interrupting my laundry chore. Tell us something we don’t know,” he said.

Others agreed with Padilla and said the citizens must just let him speak in Filipino.

“Why insist on the language? If he wants to talk in Tagalog, let him do so. Why try to impose something that is not important? There are so many other important issues to ***** their heads on. Just use any language you want,” You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

In 2018, Padilla is remembered to pressure a foreign contestant to speak in Filipino on the show “Pilipinas Got Talent.”

Another Twitter You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. who opposed Padilla’s remark described the incoming senator as “a walking embarrassment for the highest legislative body in the country.”

“Imagine dissing the use of formal English sa proceedings? Proud pa na ‘summa cum laude of cutting classes’ and that ‘debates with his wife’ prepared him for the senate?” the user said.

“Nakakahiya naman sa mga nag-aral at nagpakadalubhasa sa batas ng ilang dekada tapos ganito lang senador niyo?” he added.

Another Twitter You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. meanwhile, said he is looking forward to seeing Padilla and Sen. Lito Lapid interpolating on the Senate floor. Both Padilla and Lapid were former actors starring in action movies.

Padilla’s second child to actress Mariel Rodriguez was born in the United States in 2019, thus making their child a citizen of the English-speaking country. His son in the same year, got married in Australia, a former colony of the British empire, which is also an English-speaking country.

Debate with wife

Padilla also said that his banters and arguments with his wife prepared him to participate in the upcoming debates on the plenary floor.

“If only they would let me assume office now, I am ready. I am used to having debates every day, only it’s with my wife,” Padilla told the reporters on Tuesday.

Twitter users also expressed their frustrations over the remarks of Padilla. One said it is “invalidating” as if the qualifications are not even the bare minimum.

“Most of us here are in our 20s studying for a degree. Then there [is] Robin Padilla, who believes he [is] qualified for a seat in the senate because he debates with his wife,” a You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. said.

“Robin Padilla just proved me that I was right when I decided to not vote him for senator,” another TwitterYou do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. said.

Padilla, who does not have a law degree, currently desires to sit in the Senate committee on constitutional amendments, a committee that is usually led by a lawyer. He is poised to replace Sen. Francis Pangilinan on the committee.

“I do not understand those people who are praising Robin Padilla for trying hard to fulfill his duty as a senator and a chairman of Constitutional Amendments?” a Twitter You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. said.

“I mean, Isn’t he what he applied for? Why are we praising him for preparing late?” she added.

Padilla garnered 26.5 million votes making him the leading senatorial candidate during the 2022 national elections.

Attachments

maganda din naman suggestion nya para clear sa mga taong bayan kagaya ng debate sa parliamentary mostly sa nordic countries di sila nag eenglish sa parliamento ginagamit nila ang kanila lenggwahe.

walang namimilit sa kanya na mag 100 percent filipino siya sa talakayan sa senado, pero wag nya ipipilit na ang lahat ng senador ay mag purong tagalog at sila pa ang mag aadjust sa pagiging tonto nya sa ingles.

Tama naman si robin debate is the right of information so basically dapt lahat nag benefit dito english and non english speakers nakakaintindi kapag tagalog for sure

Jan ako agree kay robin
Dapat naman talagah tagalog eh

Sa ibang bansa sariling lenggwahe naman gamit nila
Katulad ng sokor, india, thailand etc
Sa atin lang big deal dapat english
Englishan kayo ng englishan di naman foreigner kausap nio jan kahit

Parang ang lumalabas sakop pa din tayo ng nga amerikano at di mawala wala yan

Jan ako agree kay robin
Dapat naman talagah tagalog eh

Sa ibang bansa sariling lenggwahe naman gamit nila
Katulad ng sokor, india, thailand etc
Sa atin lang big deal dapat english
Englishan kayo ng englishan di naman foreigner kausap nio jan kahit

Parang ang lumalabas sakop pa din tayo ng nga amerikano at di mawala wala yan
English po kasi ang languange ng commerce at law.

Kahit constitution natin written siya sa English kaya mahihirapan sila mag translate ng mga term kaya tama lang na English ang gamit sa mga legal basis.

the official languages are english and filipino, why are those idiots chasing after english only policy for robin?

si robin naman nagsasalita din in careless manner, lumalapit siya sa level nina leni at babyM e, kasalanan niya din bakit siya bina-bash

ipagbawal ang salitang imperialismo!
Edi huwag ka mag salita ng wikang pilipino kung ganon man. Are you aware that about 20-30% percent of the Filipino language, including our dialects use borrowed Spanish words? Even our surnames are borrowed from Latin and Spanish.

Kaya nga ang masa hindi ma gets kung ano nangyayare sa senado kasi English.
it is because kahit sabihin pa nila official language ang english pang internal consumption lang iyon, once they go out to the public mananatiling tagalog/cebuano pa din ang primary and english will always be ineffective

it is because kahit sabihin pa nila official language ang english pang internal consumption lang iyon, once they go out to the public mananatiling tagalog/cebuano pa din ang primary and english will always be ineffective

Other Filipinos are just making it a big deal if government officials choose to speak English during official meetings or at generally at work. Personally, I do not see any wrong if they speak English as this is our secondary language in the country, and most of the politicians are from well off families so you can't blame them if they are used to speaking English growing up, hence we see them more comfortable in using this language on TV on news speaking or doing speech addressing the country. Regarding Robin Padilla who prefers to speak Tagalog in office, I also don't see any wrong with that however it would be a different if he ask say other politicians to speak to him in Tagalog if don't want to, and worse if during meetings with foreign delegations he deliberately only speak to them in Tagalog, which for me is wrong if he can speak English. I would understand if he doesn't speak English or not comfortable in speaking this language, but we've seen him being able to speak English many times. Also, about those foreign leaders who have interpreters when talking to other foreign leaders it's because they come from countries that are not known to speak English widely, which is not the same case for the Philippines. Filipinos are known to be bilinguals who can speak both English and Filipino (Tagalog) interchangeably.

Other Filipinos are just making it a big deal if government officials choose to speak English during official meetings or at generally at work. Personally, I do not see any wrong if they speak English as this is our secondary language in the country, and most of the politicians are from well off families so you can't blame them if they are used to speaking English growing up, hence we see them more comfortable in using this language on TV on news speaking or doing speech addressing the country. Regarding Robin Padilla who prefers to speak Tagalog in office, I also don't see any wrong with that however it would be a different if he ask say other politicians to speak to him in Tagalog if don't want to, and worse if during meetings with foreign delegations he deliberately only speak to them in Tagalog, which for me is wrong if he can speak English. I would understand if he doesn't speak English or not comfortable in speaking this language, but we've seen him being able to speak English many times. Also, about those foreign leaders who have interpreters when talking to other foreign leaders it's because they come from countries that are not known to speak English widely, which is not the same case for the Philippines. Filipinos are known to be bilinguals who can speak both English and Filipino (Tagalog) interchangeably.
it's not about right or wrong, it's about the most appropriate 1 within the right ones, inappropriate is different from wrong

MAS OK NGA YAN NAIINTINDIHAN NG MGA PINOY KAYA WALANG NANONOOD OR NAGBABASA NG MGA ORDINANCES ng gov. kc enlesh ang nak a sulat dapat sa pag kuha ng mga requirment LTO/SSS at iba dapat may talagalog translation so there for the lazy dog can be jump over the river weehhhhh

Back