What's new

Question: Can you effectively study law without enrolling in a law school?

Cris_G

Addict
Can you effectively study law without enrolling in a law school?

I know hindi ka makakapag-exam without going thru law school but what I would like to know is that if one can study how to think like a lawyer, write like a lawyer, and argue like a lawyer without enrolling in an actual law school? I can think of many applications in one's career if one could develop lawyering skills kaya I posed this question.

I knew someone from the office kasi, who professionally argued with a lawyer (himself not a lawyer) and actually made more sense kesa kay lawyer. When I asked how he did it, he said English lang yan. I think what he meant there is not the language itself but he has a full understanding of the rules/procedures and the arguments, which of course is written in English, in order to make a case.

Sana may crash course sa Skillshare, You Tube, or kung saan man.

Can you effectively study law without enrolling in a law school?

I know hindi ka makakapag-exam without going thru law school but what I would like to know is that if one can study how to think like a lawyer, write like a lawyer, and argue like a lawyer without enrolling in an actual law school? I can think of many applications in one's career if one could develop lawyering skills kaya I posed this question.

I knew someone from the office kasi, who professionally argued with a lawyer (himself not a lawyer) and actually made more sense kesa kay lawyer. When I asked how he did it, he said English lang yan. I think what he meant there is not the language itself but he has a full understanding of the rules/procedures and the arguments, which of course is written in English, in order to make a case.

Sana may crash course sa Skillshare, You Tube, or kung saan man.

Hmmmm, para sa akin hindi paps eh, maraming mga jargon ang ating batas na only lawyers can understand. Everyone can have their own interpretation pero definitely hindi sa batas. Though may mga self-explanatory naman mga batas sa ating saligang batas na maaring maiintindihan ng general public.

For me no, Law is a very broad course, maraming scope na kailangan talakayin bit by bit na hindi makukuha lang basta basta sa common sense.

I'm an English major (AB English) and planning to take Law once I graduate. I chose AB English upon recommendation of my Dad who actually did study law but failed the BAR exam.

Perhaps a solid understanding of English might come handy.

Hmmmm, para sa akin hindi paps eh, maraming mga jargon ang ating batas na only lawyers can understand. Everyone can have their own interpretation pero definitely hindi sa batas. Though may mga self-explanatory naman mga batas sa ating saligang batas na maaring maiintindihan ng general public.
Thanks for interest and reply lods. At this age kasi, everything is in the internet. It's just a matter of collating the information in a useful manner.

Ako for example, I'm in finance/investments and much of the concepts sa trabaho namin will adequately be covered na by Investopedia. Promise. Life häçk yan lods that I'm sharing (post na lang siguro ako ibang thread).

What I'm looking sana is crash course sa law. General concepts lang kumbaga. I'm trying to make one actually but I don't know if I'm in the right track. Kumuha lng ako course outline/syllabus sa net and now I'm reading books regarding legal writing.

Thanks for interest and reply lods. At this age kasi, everything is in the internet. It's just a matter of collating the information in a useful manner.

Ako for example, I'm in finance/investments and much of the concepts sa trabaho namin will adequately be covered na by Investopedia. Promise. Life häçk yan lods that I'm sharing (post na lang siguro ako ibang thread).

What I'm looking sana is crash course sa law. General concepts lang kumbaga. I'm trying to make one actually but I don't know if I'm in the right track. Kumuha lng ako course outline/syllabus sa net and now I'm reading books regarding legal writing.
wala po yatang "crash course" sa pag-aaral ng batas lods, pero if ang purpose mo ay makakuha ng general overview sa batas natin, you can always ask consultation sa mga lawyers natin. That's what people do, especially media reporters, kapag yung itatackle nila ay tungkol sa batas

I'm an English major (AB English) and planning to take Law once I graduate. I chose AB English upon recommendation of my Dad who actually did study law but failed the BAR exam.

Perhaps a solid understanding of English might come handy.

Nice suggestion lods! I'm currently reading these 2 books: 1) Legal Writing in Plain English by Bryan Garner and 2) Painless Grammar by Barrons. So it affirms my thinking na 1st step is to really brush up on my English (tama ba? hehe). Isa din kasi iyon sa nakalagay course outline ng mga schools.

Parang medisina kasi ang pag-aaral ng batas.
I get what you are saying. Leave the lawyering to the lawyers but in my humble opinion, it can be done eh. Di ba dati may mga nakapasa sa bar without entering a law school? Mga nag-aral lang sa kulungan? Although ngaun di na pwede yan from what I read. Also, I read somewhere that AI is predicted to replace jobs of accountants, proofreaders, and even lawyers. Kaya sa ngaun, I respectfully beg to disagree but I think kaya eh... ;)

Nice suggestion lods! I'm currently reading these 2 books: 1) Legal Writing in Plain English by Bryan Garner and 2) Painless Grammar by Barrons. So it affirms my thinking na 1st step is to really brush up on my English (tama ba? hehe). Isa din kasi iyon sa nakalagay course outline ng mga schools.

Yes. English comes a long way and will definitely make it easier once you go through. Don't take my advise to heart though as I'm not a law student (just yet!), but my Dad seems to agree.

I think pwede naman but ma mi miss out mo kung pano mag handle ng debate. Self study is okay pero sa application hindi.

yes po meron pong available books to study law. i actually bought many books about politics and laws kasi gusto ko mag college sa germany HAHAHA.

I think pwede naman but ma mi miss out mo kung pano mag handle ng debate. Self study is okay pero sa application hindi.
Of course. Sa pagiging actual lawyer hindi pwede ng self study lang at your/me would really need help from competent educators. But I don't intend to be a lawyer, rather acquire "lawyering skills". If you get what I mean? Hehe

Study - Yes
Practice - No
Agree. But practice to mean application sa work, especially managerial na would help a lot. Mind you, there are lawyers in the HR Field, Finance, etc. that is not directly related to practicing law.

yes po meron pong available books to study law. i actually bought many books about politics and laws kasi gusto ko mag college sa germany HAHAHA.
Can you recommend ano maganda na book or books?

Last edited:
Pwede naman po yata, kasi may books at cases naman para maaral ang law
You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Mas maganda pa rin mag apprentice sa isang attorney, para -legal kumbaga