What's new

Philippines: German FM alarmed by South China Sea tensions

What did Baerbock say?​

"I have just come from the Middle East, where the situation continues to be extremely dangerous, and the risk that one more spark could set the whole region ablaze still exists," she said in a press briefing after meeting her counterpart, Philippine Foreign Secretary Enrique Manalo.

"I am saying this because in your region, tensions are rising too," Baerbock added.

There have been flaring tensions in recent months between Beijing and Manila with barbs traded over a number of confrontations in the contested waters, including You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. carrying the Philippine armed forces chief of staff.

"Such risky maneuvers violate the rights and economic development opportunities of your country and other neighboring countries," Baerbock said.

1705000823306.png

Manalo thanked Baerbock "for Germany's unflinching support for international law."

"Germany is a valuable partner with the Philippines not only in bilateral terms, but also in regional and international," he said.

Attachments

Here's my reply since I'm into this topic preparing my daughter for an assigned debate in school!

Tensions in the South China Sea have existed for decades. We know why, and it's nothing new. Social media is at the forefront of supplying us with information to keep us up-to-date. As a result, everyone is free to react to what Baerbock implies, or even to jump to conclusions.

Tensions at SCS are unavoidable because there is still a disagreement with China, and it is not limited to the Philippines. Both parties are using this strategy to demonstrate their political positions. In their different ways, China and the Philippines are asserting their sovereignty. And both are adamant in their stance. Even with these clashes on and off the water (via media), they are still trying to find solutions. However, nothing has worked yet.

Our adversary, China, does not agree with the arbitration case that we won - as crazy as it may seem. As a result, they continue to use "gray zone" techniques just to frighten us since they genuinely believe in their U-shaped zone (as their historical area or territorial extension) whether we agree or not. If we were in their shoes, we would have done it harshly since the other party is claiming our territory - see the point? Now going back, we adhere to international law in our EEZ as provided by UNCLOS. International law does not take precedence and there is no international government to enforce it. International law is based on the consent of states and compliance is often voluntary. That is correct. Imposing the rule of law in international relations is challenging. So international disputes are resolved through diplomatic means, negotiations, or arbitration, while others may escalate into conflicts (which we want to prevent). Even the United States has not signed many treaties, including the LOS. Thus, state consent is important. The Senate, Congress, and the Courts are all involved. By definition, the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea can only establish a comprehensive regime of law and order throughout the world's oceans and seas, establishing laws governing all uses of the oceans and their resources. They can only help resolve disputes in the same way that the UN does peacekeeping. Therefore, it is up to the state involved to address them to avoid serious military action.

There is no conclusive answer to this debate because different countries' interests and viewpoints on the South China Sea issues differ. Many experts, however, suggest the following plausible solutions: putting aside the sovereignty disputes and jointly developing the resources in the area, applying the principle of "what you have is what you keep", which means each claimant would keep what it currently occupies and drop its claims to the other features, negotiating a Code of Conduct among the claimants that would establish rules and norms for managing the disputes and preventing escalation, seeking a cooperative management regime that focuses on functional cooperation and environmental protection, rather than dividing up the waters and resources - to name a few. The catch here is, will our Constitution allow it?

The You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. implies that the You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. is not solely for the sovereignty of coastal states. Though it specifically states that the coastal state has "sovereign rights" to explore and exploit natural resources in the EEZ, other states also have rights and freedoms in the zone, including navigation, overflight, the laying of submarine cables and pipelines, and other internationally lawful uses of the sea. Other governments, on the other hand, must respect the coastal state's rights and duties and comply with its laws and regulations in the EEZ, as long as they are consistent with the Law of the Sea Convention and other standards of international law. According to international law, the Philippines has no "sovereignty" and only "sovereign rights" over its EEZ unless it falls within "territorial seas". Nevertheless, we still conform with LOS.

The Philippine (30-year-old) Constitution and Republic Acts regarding the EEZ have become a stumbling block in dealing with efforts to reduce tensions with China. You've heard the news: "Joint Efforts in the EEZ are prohibited, and it's unconstitutional"! Many tried but failed. They are aware of it, but it is up to our government to have the courage to revise our domestic laws to find a fix. Let's face it, standard procedures will not work with China, so we must try and adapt to the times. We hope that PBB's "paradigm shift" approach will signal a positive change in dealing with China together with the rest of the claimants at SCS - our ASEAN neighbors. I'm sure China has its view in assessing the situation, but should also fit our terms. The US will just portray us as our 3rd-party bodyguards and ambassadors to maintain stability in the area. Fingers crossed! He he.

Now send this message to Baerbock!

US-NATO is preparing PH for war

mahirap lang maglapag dito dahil baka itrace tayo
Anong itrace? Anong masamang sikreto dyan he he? "Palabasa din ako ng mga unofficial reports, pero I mainly use logic and analysis rather than straight from leaked sources. I trace the root, gather data, verify and review it to get my understanding of the content. I may be wrong or right in my understanding, pero hindi ako kumakagat sa sabi-sabi lang from a few sources.

Baka related yan sa existing "Proxy War" between US and China and the unofficial "You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now." na circulated ngayon by different authors to date, started by a You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now..

Talagang ganyan ang mga superpowers tulad ng US, kapag may lumalalang tensions sa areas ng kanilang allies na apektado sila (kasama na rin yung economic reasons), pagaganahin nila yung kanilang You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. para lumalakas yung kanilang upper ground for defence and security, at kung sakali ngang magkaroon ng "major conflict" o gera. It's mainly for maximizing/strengthening alliances. Bahagi yan ng kanilang You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.. May global impact yung Russia-Ukraine War, at Israel-Hamas conflict, kasama yung increasing threats sa Indo-Pacific (by China and North Korea) na involved ang Pilipinas, Taiwan, South Korea,Japan, atbp. Eka nga, they think one step ahead in case it happens.

Pwede mo ngang sabihin na they are preparing for war, but as a precaution. Damay nga tayo kung sakaling magkagera sa Indo-Pacific he he involving us and the US. Nakasaad naman yan sa ating MDT at yung bagong You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. (You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.). Yan yung "catch" sa MDT kaya galit ang China dahil gumalaw na ang US and its allies kontra sa kanila.

Nasa kamay na ng gobyerno ng Pilipinas kung ano yung kanilang hakbang in dealing with China with this in mind. Kaya masanay muna tayo sa walang tigil na "cha-cha" sa SCS at bangayan sa social media he he hanggang may magandang resulta yung ibang countermeasures natin. We have to face the consequences of our actions, and try our best to recover from our mistakes later. That's the simple truth of reality. We need to handle, adjust and conform to the rights and wrongs of international relations.

I-correct nyo na lang ako if I said something wrong.

US-NATO is preparing PH for war

mahirap lang maglapag dito dahil baka itrace tayo

no, kung magkakaroon man nang gyera Tsina vs West useless ang AFP. Military strategic location lang habol nang NATO. in short, matinding chokepoint sa Tsina ang Pinas, dito ilalagay lahat nang mga defensive weapons nang NATO.

Baka marami ka dyan tinatago na bold kayo takot ka ma trace at ma blackmail?

walang minor involve pag ako kaya hindi ako mablackmail ni epstein mossad, yung mga boss mo for sure yan meron kaya iba campaign promise vs sa ginagawa

yun naman pala, bakit takot ka boss. haha

mga boss ko ay mga interdimensional being, kung ano man yung trip nila wala na ako doon, sila nakaka alam kung ano yung tama dahil nasa 4th dimension sila ako hanggang 3rd dimension lang.

Back