What's new

Help Pa unlock nito bartleby chegg lang meron ako

[XX='HSHRUWHH2HQHQHQH, c: 1213993, m: 1862046'][/XX] Bartleby Essay ata yan lodi base sa link na binigay mo. So far wala pa ako niyan but try ko humanap ng ganyan.

Hello po pede po pa unlock nito. Salamat po ng marami

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
Note:
Copy mo na lang po 🤗.
👇
Comparing Wiesner's The Three Pigs and Scieszka's True Story of the Three Little Pigs

763 Words 4 Pages

David Wiesner's The Three Pigs and Jon Scieszka's The True Story of the Three Little Pigs

"Three pigs...Straw, sticks, bricks...Huffs and puffs...You probably know the rest. It's an old story, and every time someone tells it the same thing happens. But who says it's suppose to? Who's in charge of this story? Who gets to decide? Has anyone asked the pigs? No? Well, it's about time someone did" (Wiesner).

Well...

"...I'll let you in on a little secret ...nobody has ever heard my side of the story. I'm the wolf. Alexander T. Wolf...Al...This is the real story" (Scieszka).

The well-known fairytale of The Three Little Pigs has changed directions a little over the centuries. No longer is the simple story of three pigs, a wolf, and a little "huffing and puffing" enough. Both Jon Scieszka and David Wiesner have added different twists to the all too familiar tale. By adding creativity, imagination, and perspectives, these men have developed a whole new adventure that takes the characters and readers for a ride.

"Hey! He blew me right out of the story!" "Come on - it's safe out here." "Wow! Why didn't you two get eaten up?" According to David Wiesner, these three pigs are smarter than most readers might think. Wiesner takes the pigs and the readers to places "inside" the book and to other stories that they have never seen before. As the pigs climb out of the story and into the whiteness of the pages, they "fly" to new unknown places. After visiting the cat and the fiddle and the cow jumping over the moon they quickly escape only to find a great dragon about to be slain by a handsome prince. Having had enough excitement for one day and gained two new friends, the dragon and the cat with her fiddle, they decide to return home. Carefully gathering the pages of the story they realize the wolf is still at the front door of the third little pig's house. As he huffs and puffs, their new friend, the dragon, gently pokes his head outside the door messing up the words on the page, frightening the mean old wolf away. Inside the safe brick home the three pigs, the cat, and the dragon all sit around smiling as the one little pig carefully puts the remaining letters onto the end of the story, "And they all lived happily ever aft..."

In contrast to Wiesner's story, Jon Scieszka adds his own personal creative touch to the same well-known tale by telling the tale from the wolf's perspective. According to the wolf, all he needed was a cup of sugar to make a cake for his grandmother's birthday. So, what does anyone do when they are out of an ingredient when baking? They go ask their neighbors. Mr. Wolf's three closest neighbors just happened to be the little pigs. While waiting at the door for someone to answer his knock, his cold made him sneeze "a great sneeze." So great that the house blew down! Once the dust had cleared there was the little pig, dead. He simply saw this pig as a ham dinner that would go to waste if he did not eat it, so he did. Since he still did not have the cup of sugar he needed he proceeded to the next house, which happened to be the pig's brother. Well, the same thing happened. Feeling very full he went to the next pig's house where he was not greeted warmly at all. The pig was outright rude to him, and when the pig made a comment about his grandma, the wolf had had enough. While attempting to break down the door, the cops came. That was his story. He was framed by the press, without even getting his cup of sugar.

Jon Scieszka and David Wiesner have added creativity, imagination, and the power of perspective to a simple well-known story, but each has done it in his own unique way. A. Wolf's perspective as a storyteller in The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs, adds a new dimension to the story, while in The Three Pigs neither the pictures nor the words of the story are enough to keep them from exploring the possibilities available to them. The atmosphere of both these stories draws the reader to the newness and nontraditional approach that Jon Scieszka and David Wiesner have so cleverly portrayed in the well-known adventure of The Three Little Pigs.

Works Cited

Scieszka, Jon. The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. Illustrated by Lane Smith. New York: Viking Kestrel, 1989. n.p.

Wiesner, David. The Three Pigs. New York: Clarion Books, 2001. n.p.

[XX='moondhie, c: 1214507, m: 1068628'][/XX] paps normal ba 'to? na cancelled agad?
Capture.PNG

Attachments

salamat po

The Three Little Pigs And The True Story Of The Three Little Pigs

Dec 2, 2017 889 Words 4 Pages
A point of view is a position in which the story is being told, but did you know that there is two point of views in The Three Little Pigs and The True Story of the Three Little pigs? The two stories have views changed by how the author tells them. In the story of the pigs it’s in third person, but in the wolf’s view he just wants sugar and see’s them as a snack so it’s first person. The story of “The Three Little Pigs” and “The True story of the Three Little pigs” have different point of views that help the readers understanding of the wolf.

The story “The Three Little pigs” point of view affects the reader’s understanding of the wolf by having the view of the wolf really bad. This gives us the idea of a bad wolf. For example, the point of view shapes the reader's understanding of the wolf when the wolf blows down the houses. It says, “ So the wolf shouted very crossly, “Then I’ll huff and I’ll puff, Till I blow your house in!” ” (6). This helps the reader’s understanding because the narrator is showing that the wolf blows houses down on purpose. Then it gives off a bad wolf because wolves are vicious. It says, A big bad wolf lived nearby. He came along and saw the new house and, feeling rather hungry and thinking he would like to eat a little pig for supper, he called out, “Little pig, little pig, let me come in.” (4) This also shows that the narrator is showing the wolf's bad side which makes the reader think that he is evil and that he is the true villain. To conclude, the three little pigs point of view make readers think that the wolf plays a bad role, therefore the author used a description of bad for the wolf.

The story of “The true story of the three little pigs” point of view affects how the reader views the wolf because it is being told by the wolf and he see things through his own eyes, making him seem innocent and nice. Then the point of view affects how the reader views the wolf by when he just wants sugar. It says, “But like I was saying, the whole Big Bad Wolf thing is all wrong. The real story is about a sneeze and a cup of sugar.”(4) This changes the reader’s view on the wolf because once they saw that he just wanted sugar for a cake and he was sick they think he actually is innocent. The wolf also gives off a nice vibe in this story from his point of view. It says, “ I was just about to go home without the cup of sugar for my dear old granny’s birthday cake. That’s when my nose started to itch. I felt a sneeze coming on. Well I huffed. And I snuffed. And I sneezed a giant sneeze. And you know what? That whole darn straw house fell down.” (8) This point of view informs the reader that the wolf doesn’t blow it down on purpose, but on accident because he was sick, letting readers know he is actually innocent. To conclude, the true story of the three little pigs view of the wolf is good. This allows readers to think of him as innocent and nice.

Even if the two stories have different point of views which makes the reader have an opinion differently on the story, it still gives the reader the option as seeing the wolf as good or bad. For the Three Little pigs the text states that, “And he huffed and he puffed, and he HUFFED and he PUFFED until the house of straw fell in, and the wolf ate the little pig for his supper that evening.”(7) This quote gives readers the mindset of seeing the wolf as really bad for doing something so mean to the pigs. This is a way point of view affects the reader’s opinion. Then in the true story of the three little pigs the wolf states himself that he is good, “I’m the wolf. Alexander T. Wolf. You can call me Al. I don’t know how this whole Big Bad Wolf thing got started, but it’s all wrong. Maybe it’s because of our diet”(2) This also shows us that point of view has a different effect on reader’s because after seeing that we haven’t heard the side of the wolf readers now see him as innocent and kind, also because he explained that it’s not his fault. All in all, the two sides and point of views for the “three little pigs” and “the true story of the three little pigs “have a big effect on how you view a character, in this situation it’s the wolf. So..which side of the wolf do you believe is the true one? Good or Bad?

As you can see, point of view has a major effect on the story and how the reader views it, especially in the two stories of the three little pigs. Now you might view the wolf differently after reading the two stories of the three little pigs, this was all because of point of view. So is the wolf good or bad to you?

salamat po

The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by A. Wolf Essay

715 Words 3 Pages
The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by A. Wolf

Have you ever wondered what the wolf's side of The Three Little Pigs story was? Well, Jon Scieszka gives his readers the opportunity to see a different perspective dealing with this very circumstance. In many of his books, including The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by A. Wolf, Scieszka has used this style of writing that varies from the norm. Every turn of the page gives rise to new wonder and suspense as to what the reader will encounter as he or she moves through the pages of this intriguing book. Many of us grew up hearing fairy tales and nursery rhymes and most of us accepted them the way that they were. However, Jon Scieszka likes to take his readers on "adventures" through the "other side." He twists well-known stories around just enough to challenge the view that we have had for so long, yet not so much that we are unable to realize what story he is "imitating" or "mocking."

The story of the three little pigs traditionally makes the wolf out to be bad and ends with the third little pig triumphing over the huffing, puffing, big bad wolf. However, on the very first page of The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs, the wolf tells the reader that, "nobody knows the real story, because nobody has ever heard my side of the story." What if he was framed? How would that change the story? According to Al Wolf, all he ever really wanted from the pigs was a cup of sugar so that he could make his grandma a birthday cake. His intentions were not to eat the pigs, but they died when their houses fell down, and what a waste of a "perfectly good ham dinner." So, he ate them anyway. Was the wolf really so bad after all, or were the workers of the local newspaper so short on articles, that they needed something juicy to fill the gaps? According to Al Wolf, the reporters "figured a sick guy going to borrow a cup of sugar didn't sound very exciting. So they jazzed up the story," and by doing so, they created a monster out of the wolf. These examples show the twist on writing that Scieszka uses to give his readers a new way of looking at a well-known story.

Scieszka's style of writing spices up the world of books and keeps readers on their toes. It is not the typical fairy tale that we so often come into contact with, or the stories that always have a happy ending. Scieszka's stories make readers wonder just what he is going to throw at them next. Readers might wonder what the wolf will do with the first two pigs now that they are dead. Due to the circumstances that this story holds in comparison with the version that most readers have heard, Scieszka's audience might begin to ask, "What will happen when the wolf meets up with the third little pig?" Readers have most often associated the pigs as weak and timid next to the big, bad wolf. However, when the wolf approaches the third pig's house, a role reversal takes place. The pig responds to the wolf's request by saying harshly, "Get out of here, Wolf. Don't bother me again." The wolf is bewildered at the impoliteness of this little pig. Here is another twist on the reader's imagination and point of view. Scieszka blends creativity and imagination together to add excitement and laughter to the reader's experience. After reading one of his books, readers may become so captivated that they might just grab another book to see what Scieszka can turn around next.

By thinking outside of the box, Scieszka encourages his readers to do the same. Instead of accepting everything that is told as truth, the readers should seek to see all perspectives and get a broader view of the stories that they read. Imagination is awakened through the reading of Scieszka's highly creative books such as this old tale given from the "other side."

Works Cited

Scieszka, Jon. The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by A. Wolf! Illus. Lane Smith. New York: Viking Kestrel, 1989.

salamat po

The Three Little Pigs Character Analysis

Nov 30, 2017 1583 Words 7 Pages
Have you ever wondered what it felt like to get eaten by a wolf? Or eating 2 pigs whole? The perspectives of the stories “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs,” and also the story, “The Three Little Pigs” show how point of view is able to shape the reader’s understanding of the character and text. In “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” the wolf claims that he only went around asking for a cup of sugar with a horrible cold , the pigs end up dying in their houses so the wolf decides well I can't leave a meal out here to rot so he ate them whole. Meanwhile, in “The Three Little Pigs” the wolf is pure evil and starts banging on the door asking to come in and if not he'll huff and puff and blow the house in. Both text of “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” and “The Three Little Pigs” are able to deal with being able to give the reader the understanding of the character through perspective.
The story of “The Three Little Pigs” is able to give the reader the understanding of the character’s because of their perspective because the narrator is able to give the wolf’s motive and also gives how the wolf’s character as the bad guy and which the third person omniscient is able to show people all of the wolf’s wants and his motive which helps us understand who the wolf is and what he actually wants to do to the pigs. For example, the point of view shapes the reader's understanding of the wolf when It says, “A big bad wolf lived nearby. He came along and saw the new house and, feeling rather hungry and thinking he would like to eat a little pig for supper, he called out, “Little pig, little pig, let me come in.” (paragraph 4). This piece of evidence shows that the story’s POV is able to shape the reader’s understanding of the character because in this paragraph it gives what the wolf wants to do by saying that he was a big BAD wolf and as the narrator knows all of the wolf’s feelings because the POV is omniscient they know that the wolf was hungry for pig which helps the reader understand that the wolf is a horrible person. Another example is when the text says, “And he huffed and he puffed, and he HUFFED and he PUFFED until the house of straw fell in, and the wolf ate the little pig for his supper that evening.” (paragraph 7). This piece of evidence shows that the stories POV of third person omniscient is able to help the reader’s understanding of the character “the wolf” because in this paragraph it is able to show us what his motives were and what he wanted to do to the pig us he blew the house down and ate the pig as it shows us that the wolf is a horrible person because of the third person omniscient POV which helped us understand who the wolf was. To conclude, the story of “The Three Little Pigs” is able to show us what the POV is able to do to help us understand the character’s (specifically the wolf) and because of the 3rd person omniscient POV the narrator is able to tell us everything about the character which can help the reader understand what the character is like through POV.
The story of “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” is able to give the reader the understanding of the character’s through POV because the first person POV is able to give us different view of the wolf’s perspective and which the wolf gives every detail of what he saw and which as a story in a 1st person POV the wolf knows everything about himself and he is able to share this knowledge with us. One piece of evidence that is able to support the claim is when the text says, “I had just grabbed the doorknob when I felt another sneeze coming on. I huffed. And I snuffed. And I tried to cover my mouth, but I sneezed a great sneeze.” (paragraph 14) This explains how the wolf is telling us how he did not blow down the house on purpose but in his POV this can relate to the way we see things because like in the story “The Three Little Pigs” and how he was blowing the houses down at will because the pigs would not let him in. So because of his cold he was sneezing great sneezes and blow the houses down. Except for the last pig’s house he tried to blow it down on purpose because he said “Your grandma sat on a pin.” Another piece of evidence that is able to support my claim is when the text shows, “So I walked down the street to ask my neighbor for a cup of sugar. Now this neighbor was a pig. And he wasn’t too bright, either. He had build his whole house out of straw. Can you believe it? I mean who in his right mind would build a house of straw?” (paragraph 6). This piece of evidence supports my answer because it is able to show that the wolf did not mean to to go over to the house and kill the pigs on purpose but actually he wanted a cup of sugar and which the POV of first person shows that the wolf is actually a nice guy as he actually wanted a cup of sugar instead of actually wanting to blow down the house on purpose which the POV is able to give the reader the understanding of the character because he gave detail of what he ACTUALLY did. To conclude, the story of “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” is able to give us a better understanding of the POV and give us that understanding of (the wolf) and since it was first person we saw the wolf’s side of the story which created the theme of there is always more than one side to every story and by having the first person POV we got that understanding.
The stories of “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” and “The Three Little Pigs” are both able to interpret the character’s motive through their POV by having both being able to give detail of what the wolf’s thoughts and feelings but the only difference they had was the POV which in “The Three Little Pigs” it gives a third person omniscient POV but as in “The True Story of The Three Little Pigs” it gives a first person POV but both give great description of the characters. In “The Three Little Pigs” one piece of evidence that reveals the answer is, “A big bad wolf lived nearby. He came along and saw the new house and, feeling rather hungry and thinking he would like to eat a little pig for supper, he called out, “Little pig, little pig, let me come in.” (paragraph 4). This piece of evidence supports the answer because it shows that the wolf is a really bad guy and which through the 3rd person omniscient POV the narrator was able to tell us all of the wolf’s motive and thoughts which he wanted to actually kill the pigs and it wasn’t an accident like the other story which the POV was able to help us understand the character. One piece of evidence from “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” that supports the answer is when the text says, “Way back, Once Upon A Time time, I was making a birthday cake for my dear old granny. I had a terribly sneezing cold”(paragraph 5). This piece of evidence supports the answer because it shows that the wolf was actually wanting to make a birthday cake and he was actually a nice guy and actually wanted to get some sugar for the cake and he actually had a cold which the 1st person POV shows what he knows about himself which gives great description and helps the reader understand the character’s motive in the story. In the end, the POV from both stories were able to help us understand the character of “The Wolf” which through both POV of the 2 stories it is able to reveal different character’s of both stories which in “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” it tells us that the wolf’s deeds were an accident but in “The Three Little Pigs” it tells us that the wolf wanted to do the things on purpose which both are told in different POV’s.
In the end, both of the two texts of “The Three Little Pigs” and “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” are both able to give the reader a better understanding of the character of “The Wolf” through perspective. As you have learned, different types of POV all have different abilities to reveal the character’s motive and many different things about the character, for instance the wolf in “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” the first person POV was able to let the character reveal all of his thoughts because he knows all about himself and the third person omniscient POV in “The Three Little Pigs” was able to tell us all about the wolf because the narrator knows all about the characters.

salamat po

The Three Little Pigs Analysis

Dec 2, 2017 1089 Words 5 Pages
How would it feel to get accused of something that you didn’t do? The story “The Three Little Pigs” is from the point of view of third person objective,
While the story “The True Story of the the Three Little Pigs” is from the point of view of first person. Both stories “The Three Little Pigs” and “ The True Story of the Three Little Pigs”, has a different point of view that helps shape the reader’s understanding of the wolf in different and similar ways.

The story “The Three Little Pigs” is from the point of view of third person and this shapes the reader’s understanding of the wolf because we are not getting characters opinions but we are getting something close to facts. For example, the point of view shapes the reader's understanding of the wolf when the author shows how the wolf blew down the house and ate the little pigs. It says, “ And he huffed and he puffed, and he HUFFED and he PUFFED until the house of straw fell in, and the wolf ate the little pig for his supper that evening.,” (paragraph 7) This helps the reader’s understanding because it shows that the Wolf blew down the house but really all he did was sneeze but the narrator tells the story in a different way to make the reader have a different perspective on the story. Another example of how Third person omniscient shapes the reader’s understanding of the wolf when it showed his thoughts of eating the little pig for dinner. “It says, “ A big bad wolf lived nearby. He came along and saw the new house and, feeling rather hungry and thinking he would like to eat a little pig for supper, he called out, “Little pig, little pig, let me come in.” (Paragraph 4) This helps the reader’s understanding because the narrator is telling us how the wolf is feeling and what he is thinking. For example he is showing the thoughts of the wolf that he is hungry and would like to eat the little pig for dinner. To conclude, the point of view in the story “The Three Little Pigs” shapes the reader’s understanding of the character the wolf by the narrator telling us all the thoughts and feelings of the Wolf when the wolf was going to the three little pigs house and when he blew down their houses.

The story “The True Story of the Three little Pigs” is from the point of view first person and this shapes the understanding of the wolf because the Wolf is able to tell what really happened instead of being framed for something he didn’t do. For example, the point of view first person shapes the reader's understanding of the wolf when he said he was just wanting a cup of sugar from the pigs. It says, “ I was just about to go home without the cup of sugar for my dear old granny’s birthday cake. That’s when my nose started to itch. I felt a sneeze coming on. Well I huffed. And I snuffed. And I sneezed a giant sneeze. ,” (paragraph 8) This changes the reader’s understanding of the“The True Story of the the Three Little Pigs” because it shows how the wolf didn’t mean to kill the pigs because he just had a cold and only wanted sugar. Another example of how first person shapes the reader’s understanding of the wolf by how he It says, “ Way back, Once Upon A Time time, I was making a birthday cake for my dear old granny. I had a terribly sneezing cold. I ran out of sugar.” (paragraph 5) This helps the readers understanding of first person by showing us what the Wolf was trying to get sugar for his grandmas birthday cake. To conclude, the point of view in the story “ The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” shapes the reader’s understanding of the character the wolf because he is describing his own actions and how he didn’t kill the pigs on purpose.

Although the stories have different point of views which shapes the reader’s understanding of the Wolf, these point of views also show the Wolf in a similar way. In both texts we see that the Wolf eats the two pigs. For example, in the story” The Three Little Pigs” the point of view shapes the readers understanding of the wolf by showing us that he ate two of the pigs. In the text it states,” And he huffed and he puffed, and he HUFFED and he PUFFED until the house of straw fell in, and the wolf ate the little pig for his supper that evening.” (paragraph 7) This quote from “The Three Little Pigs” states that the Wolf ate the pigs after he blew down their houses. This shows that even in this story when he was the bad guy he still eats the pigs in the end just like the true story. Similarly, in the story “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” the point of view shapes the understanding of the wolf in a similar way because the Wolf is telling us that he eats the two pigs when they pass away. The text states,” It seemed like a shame to leave a perfectly good ham dinner lying there in the straw. So I ate it up.” (paragraph 10) In this quote from the story “The True Story of the Three little pigs” the wolf eats the pigs as he did in the other story. In the story “The Three Little Pigs” the wolf is the bad guy and he eats the pigs because why not but in the story “The true Story of the Three Little Pigs” the wolf eats them because he doesn’t want a good meal to go to waste. All in all, the two stories “The Three Little Pigs” and “ The true story of the three little Pigs” both say that the Wolf ate the two pigs and shows that there is a similarity between both of them.

All in all, Both stories “The Three Little Pigs” and “ The True Story of the Three Little Pigs”, has a different point of view that helps shape the reader’s understanding of the wolf in similar ways. The point of view is able to help the readers understanding the characters in the story. In these two texts the points of view helps the reader understand the narrator side of the story.

hello baka pwede pong pa unlock?

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Reflection On Critical Thinking

Sep 11, 2017 1403 Words 6 Pages
Critical Thinking and Reading Reflections
Some people say that critical thinking is a difficult thing to do, but for me it is quite easy. Before taking this reading class, I have never “thought about my thinking” before. I am the type of person to contemplate everything, no matter if it is for a purchase, a decision, or even about what to eat. The book Learning to Think Things Through, has showed me tips to think more critically.
In chapter one, I learned what critical thinking was and how to utilize it. Richard Paul once said that, “critical thinking is thinking about your thinking, while you’re thinking, in order to make your thinking better.” In my opinion, this quote was the best definition of critical thinking in the book. It clearly states the definition of critical thinking. The first chapter has also taught me steps to use while thinking critically. It taught me the three parts of thinking critically: asking questions, answering the questions by reasoning them out, and then believing the results of our reasoning. The most essential tips I learned was learning the critical thinking questions, the importance of negative feedback, and the SEE-I technique.
Through my eyes, the second chapter was less informative than the first chapter. Even though I didn’t learn as much, the chapter went into more depth than the first. Chapter one covered critical thinking very broadly. In chapter two Nosich goes deeper into the concepts of the elements of reasoning. The first main point I read was alternatives. On page forty-nine, there is a chart showing the elements of reasoning and alternatives. Something that helped me a great amount was that under each narrative, there are questions and tips to help achieve the objective. I read the narrative “Analyzing Positions You Disagree With” very closely. This can aid anyone in the real world. It talks about how you need to stay neutral if you are a third party, no matter what you believe in.
All though I believe that I am a good critical thinker, I do have some impediments. The first example is sometimes I let my personal feelings get in the way of my thinking. However, there has been very few times that this has happened. The main impediment that I struggle with the most is being impatient. If I am trying to complete my homework assignment and I am impatient at that moment, my critical thinking process will be faded.
I have always contemplated very hard about the major decisions I have made so far in my life. One example is when I was trying to plan where to attend college. When I was little I always wanted to attend South Dakota State University, but as time went on, that changed. I was a junior in high school, and I wanted to go out of state. I had two other schools in mind, University of Alaska Fairbanks or University of Wisconsin Madison. Junior year I wanted to be a pharmacist, and the University of Wisconsin had a great program, but it was too expensive. So, with the University of Wisconsin out of the question, I was in between SDSU and the University of Alaska Fairbanks. One main reason I wanted to go to Alaska was because I want to live there when I am older, and I thought why not just go there now. I did some thinking about how far away my family would be and how much debt I would be in. After thinking about that my first quarter into my senior year, I finally decided on SDSU.
As a child, my grandma and I would do a lot of reading. I would go to her house and we would sit down and read. Sometimes she would read the entire book, and sometimes I would read the entire book. Some books that I loved to read was Horton Hears a Who, Green Eggs and Ham, The Little Engine that Could, Humpty Dumpty, and Jack and the Beanstalk. I never struggled with reading these books. Reading always came very easy to me while I was young. In school, I would excel in my reading assignments. One thing I struggled with in school, was reading out load. When the teacher would call on me to read, I would tense up because I did not want to get made fun of for misreading a word. This caused me to read very slow and stutter over certain words. I still struggle with this today.
In high school, I loved to read on my own. I loved history books and history books only. There were books along the way that I was forced to read that I really liked, but I would never would have read them on my own. Our teachers had this program called accelerated reader. It was where you would read a book and take a test over it. You would have to have a certain number of points each quarter, so you were forced to read three or more books per semester. I hated this because the teachers would never give us time in class to read our books, it would always have to be done outside of class or in study hall. Some accelerated reader books that I have read are the lockdown series, I am number four series, Fallen Angles, Flags of our Fathers, Divided We Fall, Burning Nation, and Bridge of Spies. I can honestly say that I would reread these books if I had the time to. When I would start reading any of these books, I would not put it down for hours.
There would be times where I was forced to read a book in class. Some of them I hated, and some of them were surprisingly good. We would have to write essays over the book that we read, so I couldn’t just skim the book and say I read it. Some books I read in class that I enjoyed were Mice and Men, and Huckleberry Finn. Mice and Men was very easy to understand, and a very good story. Huckleberry Finn was very slow and hard to read in the beginning, but as Huck and Jim started their adventure together, I couldn’t set the book down.
In middle school, I had a class of fifteen. I was comfortable with reading out load during class. There would be times where I would mess up and people would laugh, but I did not care. Our history teacher, Mr. Sage, would make us read out of the text book out loud during class. Some parts were easier than others. In geography, I struggled with pronouncing names of rivers, lakes, and some countries. During reading class, I continued to succeed in assignments and tests. We would never read out loud with the whole class. We would break up into small groups to read and do the assignments.
During high school, I started struggling with reading more often. For a junior and senior, I had a low vocabulary. So, when I would come across a word I didn’t know, I would stutter and get nervous. This problem happened a lot during government and history class. In other classes, we would read independently. I liked this a lot better than out loud because when I came across a word I didn’t know, I could stop and take time to sound it out.
So far in college, I have comprehended the reading information very well. I like all my classes that I am taking, which helps me read a lot closer and get involved with the text. Some reading habits that I have developed in college are to reread the sections three times before a quiz or an exam. Another reading habit I have developed is that I always take notes when I read the assignments. This makes it easy for me in the future, so when I have questions I can look at my notes instead of going back in the book and looking for the answers.
Since I moved into college, I haven’t read any books for fun. It has always been books for school. I wish that I have time to read books for fun. The book Learning to Think Things Through, has taught be a better reader and critical thinker. I believe that reading can be easy for anyone that puts in the time and effort for it.

Back