What's new

Closed I know what happens to you when you die

Status
Not open for further replies.

mak2x123

Eternal Poster
Reaction
Now that I’ve got your attention, let me just say that my title is perhaps just slightly overstated. I probably should have called this article “I’m Pretty Sure I Know What Happens To You When You Die” but that doesn’t have the same ring, does it? Anyway, I’ve been thinking about this question for a long time and I’ve finally found the answer (actually I came upon the answer a long time ago but I was too lazy to write it up).

Before I pull back the curtain on this ancient conundrum, let me just say that the answer is not warm and fuzzy. So if you’re not ok with a little metaphysical tough love then now would be a great time to move on to a more uplifting blog.

Ok, for those of you still reading (hi Mom!), sit back, make yourself comfortable and prepare for some enlightenment. So…what happens to you when you die is…wait for it…

Nothing. That’s right, a whole lot of nothing. You don’t go to heaven. You don’t go to hell. You don’t get to meet god (she’s way too busy for the likes of you). You don’t even get to meet St. Peter. You’re not reunited with your deceased loved ones (although I admit that’s a nice thought). And you don’t get to frolic with angels. You go into a profound state of non-existence.

How do I know this? Because I’ve been there, man. I don’t mean I’ve been dead. I mean I was once before in a state of non-existence. So were you. Remember? Before you were born, you didn’t exist. For a really long time. Six billions years of non-existence – those were some boring times, weren’t they?

No one has any memories from before they were born. That’s because your memory is a product of the rich configuration of neurons you’ve spent your whole life assembling in that hunk of cells called your brain. Without those neurons and some associated biochemical goo, you’d have no memories and there really would be no you. That’s why you have a hard time recalling anything before your birthday.

So given what I think of as me came into existence on my birth date (or thereabouts), when the hunk of brain cells in my very hard head run out of oxygen and die, all those memories and personality taints – everything that makes me me, will die with the rest of my body, at which point I will return to a state of non-existence. All those other theories, which sound so nice and serene, are really just ãdül† fairy tales, designed to make us feel like our lives have some sort of cosmic meaning and that we’re so special that we must somehow live on after our bodies have stopped working.

Some people might say: “Wait a minute, if my life doesn’t have some sort of cosmic significance, why should I bother being a good person? Why not just do all those filthy things I think about doing every 7.4 seconds?”. And the answer couldn’t be more simple: when you do “the right thing”, when you help other people, when you work hard, you get a good feeling. It’s called fulfillment. You don’t need someone to give your life meaning by telling you a fairy tale about some reward at the end of the rainbow. Your life has as much meaning as you choose to give it.

So work hard, have fun, be a good person, help other people, try not to be too selfish and the result is you’ll probably live a happy and fulfilling life. And then you’ll die. That’s just the way it goes. In the meantime, enjoy your state of existence while it lasts. Trust me, the second time through non-existence is even longer than the first. :)

Copypaste

Concluding even you are not damn sure is a sin. Goodluck. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ah, Ok, may kanya kanya naman tayo paniniwala tungkol dyan.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it depends on how we think, if we believe that someone has go to heaven or has the feeling that he/she did experience something, its about on how the person think about that, cause there is called bandwagon effect if that person has something says that can attract your own mind, your feelings attracted to it. But let's go back to the topic I know that we have different own sets own mind on how we feel or how we react to things, just what I have read what now. I don't know on how I would feel/react to it, because we are talking about life, I am scared of death of course we are, so I don't have anything to do with it, cause it is inevitable

Last edited:
How do I convince myself that others who don't share my most basic values are wrong? I don't. Ultimately, we are all walking around with a belief system in our heads. I happen to like mine but I can't prove it's accurate and I don't attempt to. Although that doesn't stop me from writing provocative blog articles about it every so often. :)

When you say you don't see how my argument works for me, I'm not entirely sure what you mean but I think I can explain how this works for me with an example…When you're a kid your parents tell you about Santa Claus (except my parents didn't because we're jewish but that's another story :). Anyway, this myth gives you a comfortable feeling that all is right with the world. Then at some point you find out it's all a lie, and although it's told for the best possible reason, you feel disappointed and upset. But eventually you get over it and you understand the world a little better.

That in my view is what's going on with most religions. From a very early age I saw right through it. I could tell that I was being indoctrinated. And I reached a point where, by myself, I pretty much figured out that, metaphorically speaking, there is no Santa Claus. Ever since then I've felt much better about the world and my place in it.

That's how it works for me. Don't get me wrong, I would love to believe there's some kind father figure out there who's watching over me and waiting to bring me home and when I die, if I'm really good, my soul will live on after death and all those other nice stories, but there's a real feeling of strength that comes from embracing what seems like the real truth, even if it's not what you want to hear.

Re: your other point: "without it [a transcendent moral authority] no set of values is better or worse than my own". I couldn't agree more. Clearly one of the benefits of religion is that it offers a framework for social control, i.e. it gives people a roadmap for How To Be Good, which has the big guy's official stamp of approval. But for me personally, I'm not interested in believing in something because it helps people behave themselves. I'm interested in the truth, good, bad or ugly.

The price tag of having a huge group of people following dogma rather than thinking for themselves is huge. A lot of good but also a lot of bad has been done in the name of religion. At the moment, religion is the main reason why a whole subgroup of US citizens can't have equal rights. That's a big problem for me.

Grabe haba naman kung sino man orihinal nito sana natuluyan na agad para di nailathala kasi ako'y pinoy mamatay akong daladala ang wika ko at sa pagdilim ng gabi ako'y magpapaalam pagkat ang aking mulat na mata'y inaantok na... magandang gabi...

Haba ts dagdag ko lang to kung namatay ang isang tao makakalimutan na niya ang lahat at judgement agad kung sa heaven o hell ka mapupunta

Very well said tol that's why we free thinkers live every seconds as our last..

Maybe that thing afterlife shouldn't be understand like every fairytale said , no one knows how's the feeling when being back to particle***

Copy paste ba talaga yan mukang sayo talaga yan tol..

Feel ko to. Di rin ako naniniwala piro hindi naman nawala pagiging sinsitibo ko sa feelings ng iba. Physical man o mental. Kasi yung bayay at salita na nakakasakit sa kanila yun din ang nakakapag pasakit sa akin. May point po lahat. Piro what if kung mali tayo? Okay lang din kasi mabuting tao naman tayo. Meron lang cguro tayong ibang langit haha. Ganda nagustohan ko

Alam mo kung anu ang bagay na nagpapatakbo sa pagiging sinsitibo ko sa mga tao at nagpapatakbo ng kosyensya ko? Yun ay ang takot ko na masakatan.

Hindi ako takot manakit ng ibang tao, di dahil sa takot ako magkakasala sa panginoon. Di yon ganun. Inilalagay ko lang sa isip ko. kung ako kaya ang sasaktan ng ibang tao anu kaya mafefeel ko. Takot ako masaktan yun ang konsyensya ko. Hindi dahil baka magagalit sa akin ang panginoon.

I think that the author of that blog had some psychological problem while writing his blog. How can a man go to such state of unconsiousnes without being dead? . The simple answer is that he was only sleeping. This idea made me satiric to think of. Then, talking about death claiming that there is no memory thereafter yet he knows what happens afterdeath.. Is'nt that a paradox. And a paradox is a term applied to the issues of time travel. How can the author knows how it was and what was there after we die? Stating that he had not experience death yet knows what its like after is just but an speculation. Hahahaha. Charot.

Status
Not open for further replies.