What's new

Closed Help! english grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthrax3000

Eternal Poster
Established
Reaction
Pa help naman po mga experts jan, paki check naman po kung tama yung mga sagot ko. I need this po para sa inaaplyan kong work. hopefully may maka check kung tama po lahat. Yung mga red marks po ang sagot ko pero hindi po kasi ako 100% kasi isang mali, bagsak na po agad huhuhuh.. Please help :(

1. I don't think these policy changes will ________ you.

• imposition
  • affect
  • impose
  • None of the above

2. The two products are ________ the same, ________ that one is ________ than the other.

• essentially; except; more expensive
  • in effect; with the caveat; more costlier
  • effectively; accept; cheaper
  • None of the above

3. She always ________ her car keys.

• loses
  • losed
  • looses
  • None of the above

4. Those apples cost only $1 ________ pound.

• per
  • by the
  • for the
  • the
  • a

5. ________ too late. ________ going to run out of time.

• Its; Your
  • It's; You're
  • It's; Your
  • None of the above

6. ________ commendable that ________ father has dedicated his ________ work to humanitarian causes.

• Its; your; live's
  • It's; you're; life's
  • It's; your; life's
  • None of the above

7. ________ time to have a talk about the ________ and the ________.

• Its; bird's; bee's
  • Its; birds; b's
  • It's; birds; bees
  • None of the above

8. In the southern desert, the ________ are long and the ________ are cold.

• days', nights'
  • days; nights
  • day's; night's
  • None of the above

COMPREHENSION - DIALOGUE

1. Tim: Were you able to get some sleep last night? I know you were really tired.

Amy: ________

Tim: Oh, really. What was the problem?

Amy: I was disturbed by the noisy traffic.

• No. All of my muscles ached from the grueling workout.
  • The NBA fans were everywhere making a lot of noise with their cars' horns.
  • I have been having this problem for a long time, so I'd better take some sleeping *****.
  • I was planning to go to bed early, but some of my friends popped in to have coffee.
  • Well, actually, I was able to sleep only a little bit.

2 . Molly: ________

Ricky: I'm not sure. Why do you think he is?

Molly: He doesn't even say a word unless he is asked a question.

Ricky: It's probably because he doesn't have any friends yet.

• Do you think the new student likes it here?
  • Don't you think the new student is a little strange?
  • Do you think the new student is comfortable with the curriculum?
  • Have you met the new student yet?
  • Is your brother doing better at school this year?

3 . Doctor: Take this medicine for a week and you'll start to feel better.

Patient: ________

Doctor: Are you sure? It's the best on the market.

Patient: Yes, I am. Can you please prescribe another one?

• What shall I do if unexpected side effects arise?
  • No, it's too early to prescribe another medicine.
  • It looks as if the illness has already been cured.
  • But I've used it before and it did not help at all.
  • What is the ideal dosage for my weight?

4. Carla: How much of a tip should we leave?

Sally: No more than a dollar.

Carla: ________

Sally: No, not at all. The service was slow and the soup was cold.

• If I were you, I wouldn't leave that amount.
  • How about leaving nothing? I wasn't satisfied with it.
  • They didn't offer us coffee, either.
  • Wouldn't that be too little?
  • Instead of leaving a tip, I think we should complain to manager.

WORD CHOICE

1. To ________ is human.
    • error
    • faulter
    • err
    • heir
    • air
  2. The sneak ________ of the movie really ________ my interest.
    • peak, peaked
    • peak; piqued
    • peek, piqued
    • None of the above
  3. Peter would ________ all the party invitations that year, ________ Molly's.
    • except, accept
    • accept, except
    • except, except
    • None of the above
  4. The second ________ of the competition introduced a surprise challenge, but none of the competitors were ________.
    • phase, phased
    • phase, fazed
    • stage, phased
    • None of the above

PUNCTUATION - CHOOSE THE BEST ANSWER
  1. Which of the following is correct?
    • "Where did you find that money?" my roommate asked.
    • "Where did you find that money," my roommate asked?
    • "Where did you find that money?" my room-mate asked.
    • "Where did you find that money" my roommate asked.
    • Where did you find that money, my roommate asked.
  2. Which of the following is correct?
    • The weather this summer has been - hot, muggy, and unpredictable.
    • The weather this summer has been hot, muggy, and unpredictable.
    • The weather this summer has been: hot, muggy and unpredictable.
    • The weather this summer has been: hot, muggy, and unpredictable.
    • The weather this summer has been hot muggy and unpredictable.
  3. Which of the following is correct?
    • Although, the steam engine was originally developed to pump water out of coal mines. It it is most commonly used today for electrical power generation.
    • Although the steam engine was originally developed to pump water out of coal mines, it is most commonly used today, for electrical power generation.
    • Although the steam engine was originally developed to pump water out of coal mines, it is most commonly used today for electrical power generation.
    • Although the steam engine was originally developed, to pump water out of coal mines, it is most commonly used today for electrical power generation.
    • Although the steam engine was originally developed to pump water out of coal mines it is most commonly used today for electrical power generation.
  4. Which of the following is correct?
    • The boys in question, Ben, Tommy, and Christopher all received detentions.
    • The boys in question Ben, Tommy, and Christopher all received detentions.
    • The boys in question: Ben, Tommy, and Christopher all received detentions.
    • The boys in question (Ben, Tommy, and Christopher) all received detentions.

hmm hindi naman ako expert pero yung sagot ko sa comprehension-dialogue #2 is yung second option: "Don't you think the new student is a little strange?" I think it makes more sense. :)
and sa Punctuation #1 - "Where did you find that money?" my roommate asked. (yan sagot ko)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dialogue item #2: dapat "Don't you think the new student is a little strange?"

Punctuation item#1: ("Where did you find that money?" my roommate asked.) ◄ Ito pala dapat.

Punctuation item#4: "The boys in question (Ben, Tommy, and Christopher) all received detentions."

Last edited:

Punctuation item#1: ("Where did you find that money?" my roommate asked.) ◄ Ito pala dapat.

Punctuation item#4: "The boys in question (Ben, Tommy, and Christopher) all received detentions."
Ang galing oh:)

hmm hindi naman ako expert pero yung sagot ko sa comprehension-dialogue #2 is yung second option: "Don't you think the new student is a little strange?" I think it makes more sense. :)
and sa Punctuation #1 - "Where did you find that money?" my roommate asked. (yan sagot ko)

Naku, jan din ako nalilito.. pero may guess din kasi ako na ganyan ang sagit d lang ako sure.. naku thanks ha... baka may iba pa pok ayung nakikitang mali.. nyerbos na kasi ako hahaha,, paki check nga din po ung sa Ounctuation Item #4..

Sir, ung sa item #4 hmmm, pde po baki explain? and second thought ko kasi is
  • The boys in question: Ben, Tommy, and Christopher all received detentions. pero parang inappropriate na,,, sir baka may iba pa pong mali sa list sir, pa help po hhuhuuh

D#2 : Don't you think the new student is a little strange?
P#1 : "Where did you find that money?" my roommate asked.
P#4 : Medyo nalito ako dito kasi parehong gramatically correct 'to. Pero kung pipiliin yung mas appropriate siguro yung pangalawa.

Rule 1. Use parentheses to enclose information that clarifies or is used as an aside.

Example: He finally answered (after taking five minutes to think) that he did not understand the question.

• The boys in question: Ben, Tommy, and Christopher all received detentions.[Okay. Ngayon ko lang napansin. Naglagay siya ng colon so dapat hindi na comma, semi-colon na dapat(from what i know) so mali nga 'to]
  • The boys in question (Ben, Tommy, and Christopher) all received detentions.[Eto na tama. Sure na me hahaha.]

Naku, jan din ako nalilito.. pero may guess din kasi ako na ganyan ang sagit d lang ako sure.. naku thanks ha... baka may iba pa pok ayung nakikitang mali.. nyerbos na kasi ako hahaha,, paki check nga din po ung sa Ounctuation Item #4..

Ang alam ko, gagamit ka ng colon after an independent clause. Dependent pa kasi ang "The boys in question". So dun ako sa comma. :) (pero that's just my answer. pwedeng mali.:))

Sir, ung sa item #4 hmmm, pde po baki explain? and second thought ko kasi is
  • The boys in question: Ben, Tommy, and Christopher all received detentions. pero parang inappropriate na,,, sir baka may iba pa pong mali sa list sir, pa help po hhuhuuh
Napaliwanag na ni Lee Ji Eun yung P4.

Dun sa Dialogue 1, medyo nag-aalangan lang ako dun sa "I have been having this problem for a long time, so I'd better take some sleeping *****." kasi yung kausap niya may tinanong kung anong problema. Naglalaban sa akin yung sagot mo tsaka yung sagot ko. Naguguluhan ako, saglit lang sunugin ko muna kilay ko, haha.

Edit
Tama pala sagot ni TS kasi dahil dun sa article na "the" hindi pala "that".

Last edited:
Same.
1. Tim: Were you able to get some sleep last night? I know you were really tired.

• I have been having this problem for a long time, so I'd better take some sleeping *****.
  • I was planning to go to bed early, but some of my friends popped in to have coffee.

Okay i-breakdown natin.

Hypothetical Answer:
Amy: I have been having this problem for a long time, so I'd better take some sleeping *****.

Pero para rin kasing tama yung sagot niya. Like parang tinanong kung ano yung problema kung bakit konti lang naitulog niya. Ewan jusko Senior palang ako sa pasukan. Pero mas bet ko parin yung 3rd choice, hehe.

Nasagot na ni Lee Ji Eun yung P4.

Dun sa Dialogue 1, medyo nag-aalangan lang ako dun sa "I have been having this problem for a long time, so I'd better take some sleeping *****." kasi yung kausap niya may tinanong kung anong problema. Naglalaban sa akin yung sagot mo tsaka yung sagot ko. Naguguluhan ako, saglit lang sunugin ko muna kilay ko, haha.

D#2 : Don't you think the new student is a little strange?
P#1 : "Where did you find that money?" my roommate asked.
P#4 : Medyo nalito ako dito kasi parehong gramatically correct 'to. Pero kung pipiliin yung mas appropriate siguro yung pangalawa.

Rule 1. Use parentheses to enclose information that clarifies or is used as an aside.

Example: He finally answered (after taking five minutes to think) that he did not understand the question.

• The boys in question: Ben, Tommy, and Christopher all received detentions.[Okay. Ngayon ko lang napansin. Naglagay siya ng colon so dapat hindi na comma, semi-colon na dapat(from what i know) so mali nga 'to]
  • The boys in question (Ben, Tommy, and Christopher) all received detentions.[Eto na tama. Sure na me hahaha.]

Hello, thanks po sa reply.. dun po sa D#2 ma'am, sa conversation po kasi nila may word na "He" kaya naisip ko baka ung brother nya, naku nakakalito to..pero sayu po yan na po ba tlga? sorry hindi ako demanding ha, nalilito lang tlaga ako dito. nyahahah..

Ang alam ko, gagamit ka ng colon after an independent clause. Dependent pa kasi ang "The boys in question". So dun ako sa comma. :) (pero that's just my answer. pwedeng mali.:))
opo yata, parang ya nga po yata ang sagot pero still nag aalangan, ano kaya sagot ng nakararami hahaha.. nakakalito talga to

opo yata, parang ya nga po yata ang sagot pero still nag aalangan, ano kaya sagot ng nakararami hahaha.. nakakalito talga to
Yung P4 kasi magiintroduce ng list. Kaya parang di bagay maglagay ng comma dun sa pagitan ng description ng list at yung list mismo. Parang magugulo kung alin yung kasama sa list o hindi.

Last edited:
Online job ba yang inaapplyan mo? If you don't mind. :)

opo, ito na kasi ung last na test after neto, okay na kaso sabi nila isang mali lang bagsak na kaya naku nalulurky ako... haha

Yung P4 kasi magiintroduce ng list. Kaya parang di bagay maglagay ng dun sa pagitan ng description ng list at yung list mismo. Parang magugulo kung alin yung kasama sa list o hindi.
ok sige sir, yan nlang hehe.

Yung iba sir, wala na po ba kayo ibang nakikitang mali? Yung fill in the blank baka po may mali kasi

Status
Not open for further replies.