What's new

Help Assignments

aldrian1234

Eternal Poster
Established
1. What makes an ethical person? Identify one person who have famously held fast to their principles despite opposition and even when doing so, placed them in danger.

2. Think of the person you know or know of (in real life or fiction) who has the strongest character and best ethical judgment. Describe the attributes of that person.

3. Discuss one of the following topics:

Honesty is the best policy.

The truth will set you free.

Honesty is something so tough and tempting. It demands self-denial and spiritual purity. Honesty counts even things that we may think simple and immaterial. Who doesn’t sometimes behave dishonestly?

You are allowed to tell a white lie once in a while to spare someone's feelings; that’s not wrong!
Is giving a bribe dishonest if I have to accomplish something?

To be honest with yourself, will make your life simple. Honesty is the best policy. Be honest and you are less likely to face any difficulties.

I try to be honest and treat others as I would like to be treated. I hope that others do the same. I believe it is very important to have empathy for one another.

If I am hungry and my family is starving, is it acceptable to s†éál food from the local supermarket?

1. An ethical person is someone who consistently acts in alignment with a set of moral principles, demonstrating integrity, honesty, fairness, and respect for others. They prioritize doing what is right, even in challenging situations. One person who famously held fast to their principles despite opposition and danger is Mahatma Gandhi. He led India's nonviolent independence movement against British rule, advocating for equality, justice, and nonviolent resistance. Despite facing imprisonment, violence, and threats to his life, Gandhi remained steadfast in his commitment to nonviolence and fought for the rights of the oppressed.

2. One person with a strong character and exceptional ethical judgment is Atticus Finch from Harper Lee's novel "To Kill a Mockingbird." Atticus embodies integrity, compassion, and fairness. He consistently demonstrates a strong sense of morality and teaches his children to stand up for what is right, even when it is unpopular. Atticus is known for defending Tom Robinson, a black man wrongly accused of rape, despite facing backlash from his community. He challenges the prevailing racist beliefs of the time and shows unwavering commitment to justice and equality.

3. The topic of honesty is multi-faceted and can be approached from various angles. While honesty is generally considered a virtue, it is important to explore different scenarios and understand the complexities involved.

Telling a white lie to spare someone's feelings may seem harmless, but it can erode trust over time. While intentions may be positive, it is essential to find alternative ways to communicate truth sensitively and constructively.

Giving a bribe is generally considered dishonest, as it involves using improper means to accomplish a goal. Bribes perpetuate corruption and undermine fairness and justice in society. It is important to seek lawful and ethical ways to achieve one's objectives, even if they require more effort or patience.

s†éáling food to alleviate hunger raises ethical dilemmas. While empathizing with someone's desperate situation, it is important to consider alternative options before resorting to theft. Community resources, charities, or government programs could provide assistance. If all options are exhausted, engaging in open and transparent dialogue with the supermarket or seeking help from organizations might be more ethical approaches.

In summary, honesty is indeed a valuable virtue, but it requires careful consideration in various situations. Balancing empathy, integrity, and respect for others is crucial when navigating ethical dilemmas.