What's new

Duterte on term extension: Give it to me on a silver platter, I wont take it

President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday reiterated that he has no plans of staying in power beyond June 2022 amid moves to revise some provisions of the 1987 Constitution.

Duterte, who once offered to resign due to rampant corruption in government, said a term extension is out of the equation.

“Term extension. My God. Maski ibigay mo sa akin on a silver platter, maski ibigay mo sa akin libre another 10 years, sabihin ko sa iyo p___ina mo, iyo na lang iyan. Tapos na ako,” the President said at the inauguration of the Metro Manila Skyway Stage 3 Project.

Duterte’s spokesperson Harry Roque earlier said the President was not interested in term extension, adding he is focused on the country’s COVID-19 response.

The House of Representatives Committee on Constitutional Amendments began on Wednesday hearing a proposal to amend the “restrictive” economic provisions of the 1987 Constitution.

Two administration senators—Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa and Francis Tolentino—also filed a resolution in December asking the Senate and House of Representatives to convene as a constituent assembly for the purpose of amending the Constitution.

Senate President Vicente Sotto III, however, said Duterte does not want a term extension but rather an amendment to the party-list system.

Sotto said the President had expressed concern about party-list lawmakers with alleged ties to the communist rebels. Malacañang on Monday deferred to Congress on how to address Duterte’s concerns about the party-list system. — RSJ, GMA News

This article You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. was originally published in You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now..

Well if the party list has amendment then i agree with this because some of party list use by rich people that supposedly for poor sector and also a party list that use by rebels group (Actually their terrorist because of they do) that partylist must put an end.