What's new

Bad news for v@pe users: ph doctors hails v*pe bill

Philippine doctors once again rallied support behind the v@ρe Bill and hailed the same as a landmark legislation on public health that is seen to drastically lower down the smoкing rates in the country.

The medical and scientific communities believe that the passage of the v@ρe Bill will be a historic milestone that will become part of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s legacy. “Once enacted into law, it will reinforce the concerted efforts to end the smoкing epidemic once and for all, and help save countless lives,” they said.

“I strongly believe that with proper regulation of v@ρe and heated тoвαcco products under the v@ρe Bill, many smoкers, including those patients of mine, will be able to stop smoкing once and for all. I also support the more than 15 provisions of the v@ρe Bill that seeks to protect our minors from even starting to use this product. The v@ρe Bill is definitely a big win for public health,” said Dr. Fernando Fernandez, Past President of the Philippine Dental Association and current Secretary General of the Asia Pacific Dental Federation.

“I was able to stop smoкing because of alternatives like v@ρe products and heated тoвαcco products. If these products are properly regulated, like what the v@ρe Bill seeks to do, there is a big chance that millions of Filipino smoкers will also stop smoкing and shift to these less harmful nicotine alternatives”, said Dr. Telesforo Gana, past president of the Philippine Urological Association.

Former Deputy Speaker Rodante Marcoleta, one of the main authors of the v@ρe Bill in Congress, revealed that no less than the World Health Organization noted that v@ρe products and heated тoвαcco products are less harmful than traditional cigαяeттes.

“I remember in one of our forums, the WHO scientist-representative I questioned was forced to admit that v@ρe/HTP products are less harmful than traditional cigαяeттes”, Deputy Speaker Marcoleta recalled.

The v@ρe Bill is touted by many as a landmark public health legislation as it is the first comprehensive law that will regulate v@ρe products and heated тoвαcco products and is seen to drastically cut down smoкing rates for the years to come.

The last comprehensive law to regulate тoвαcco products was enacted almost 20 years ago when the тoвαcco Regulation Act was passed in 2003 following a massive public campaign called “Yosi Kadiri” by the late health secretary and senator Juan Flavier. Since then, there are still close to 16 million smoкers in the country today with a very low annual quit rate of 4 percent.

“Without the v@ρe Bill, 16 million smoкers will continue to smoкe and there will be thousands more that will start smoкing every year. This is unacceptable from a public health standpoint. We must do everything we can to end the smoкing epidemic once and for all and the v@ρe Bill is our greatest chance to do that. The v@ρe Bill is our first real anti-smoкing measure since the тoвαcco Regulation Act was enacted 20 years ago”, said Dr. Dante Dator, former executive director of the National Kidney and Transplant Institute.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

A recent survey conducted by ACORN Marketing and Research Consultants, the largest independent Asian research network, has shown that 94 percent of Filipinos agree that the government should enact policies to encourage ãdül† smoкers to switch to less harmful тoвαcco alternatives.

“Within the medical community, many doctors whether smoкers or non-smoкers, support legislation that will cut down smoкing rates, which includes the use of less harmful alternatives such as v@ρe and heated тoвαcco products. I think this is also what the public wants especially those members of family households that are sick and tired of smelling cigαяeттe smoкe. Indeed, a very comprehensive regulatory law such as the v@ρe Bill is what we need to cut down smoкing rates”, said Dr. Romeo Luna Jr., president of the San Juan Medical Center Staff Association and a practicing surgeon.

The v@ρe Bill includes several bans that are meant to protect minors. First, there is a ban on the use of flavor descriptors, in addition to the current ban on use of flavors. Second, there is a ban on the sale of high nicotine v@ρe products (more than 65mg/ml nicotine content). Third, there is a ban on the use of celebrities and social media influences in advertising and promotional materials. Fourth, there is a ban on the sale of v@ρe products within 100 meters of schools, playgrounds and facilities frequented especially by minors.
url.png

Attachments

Last edited:
di ako agree sa buong bill

all i want is to stop second hand smoke, that's all

the rest should go on kasi malaki ang sin tax diyan at nakakatulong iyan sa government funds

sin taxes should be maximized kasi nakakatulong iyan to fund the country