What's new

Why Do We Wear Clothes?

Kaplok Kaplok

Forum Veteran
Elite
Reaction

Hustling with Clothes or Bustling with Nākedness​

By ponderinginsilence

The dress code for Monday in my law school, heedless of the weather, was a white shirt, black pants, a black necktie, and a black coat. We were waddle of penguins with a necktie in Asia. When I was kicked out from the class for not wearing my necktie, It got me wondering what is so uncompromising about a necktie?

I was working on a research paper which dealt with prostitution in India. I visited sĕx workers and dimly lit brothels in Bangalore. For sěx workers, their attire is of utmost importance. The way they look often decides the number of clients they are going to get on a day. I asked them one simple question, why do we wear clothes?

Dolly
Dolly came from Darjeeling. She tries to keep her pocket thick and loves to smoke.
Q. Why do we wear clothes?
Dolly:
No one likes to see things that produce waste. We wear clothes to cover the waste-cum-pleasure department of our bodies. As our waste department is also responsible for providing us with pleasure, there is a general tendency to flash it when it is not producing waste.

Sonia
Sonia came from Indore looking for a mission, but now she is often asked to reverse the cow on the streets.
Sonia:
To fend us against all weathers.
Thus, according to Sonia, we wear clothes because of their usefulness.

Ruby
Ruby came from Coorg. She has a unibrow, prefers eating and swallowing things that are available to her.
Ruby:
I wear clothes because they are part of my identity, but it boxes me in a random gender category. It is hard to be fluid. God save Crossdressers.

Zuben

Zuben came from Ivory Coast. She meets people at her back gate and changes her name every day. She contains multitudes. I asked her why do we wear clothes?
Zuben:
I don’t know why we wear clothes, but I am aware of the issues that are born out of them. We all are judged based on what we wear and what we can afford.

Clothes and dresses get baroque and inexplicable as one rise in rank, position, and status in society. It includes and excludes people from a group or an organization. There seems to be a presumption that you cannot be a good employee if you are not in your formals.

We are so obsessed with what we wear that we end up wasting our time picking out our underwear and socks. It took me three hours the other day to find the right color for my underwear, and the worst part was I couldn’t try them before buying.

Your dress can kill you. Sarees can be fatal. In India, women tend to sit sideways on a two-wheeler because they wear sarees. One of my clients sat sideways on a two-wheeler with her partner. Her bike hit a pothole. She lost her balance, fell off the bike, and died.

I went back home, compiled their interviews, and cogitated on their response.

On the idea of the usefulness of clothes (It protects you from all-weather)

I have manifold objections to this answer. Firstly, I have a list of clothes or wearables that is useless and fails to screen us against any weather.

Neckties, bows, hoods, and anything that deals with your neck is useless.
Cufflinks.
Waistcoat.
Bermuda Shorts.
Anything and everything that is part of a uniform.

Appearance over usefulness

Secondly, we prioritize appearance over usefulness. For instance, if you spilled coffee on your shirt, you will immediately change it before leaving the house. That coffee-spilled shirt can still protect you from the sun. We hear people complaining, “I don’t want to wear my shirt because it is a bit long, a bit short, a bit torn, not ironed…”

If you see someone wearing the same dress as yours. It would be the last time you both would wear that dress unless one of you emigrates from the town forever.

Thirdly, why do we hoard clothes? If the purpose of the dress is to protect you against all weathers, having a few should work, but we hoard dresses like squirrel’s hoard acorns for winters.

Fourthly, why do we wear clothes on a steamy summer evening?

Lastly, the raincoat is the most practical dress when it rains. But we often get soaked and drenched in the rain. I congratulate you if you own one.

On the idea of dress codes for workplace and Uniforms

The litmus test to determine whether a dress is work-appropriate or not, is to simply ask yourself, can my clothes save my life?
If your dress can save your life when you are at work, then that’s the only dress that is work-appropriate. Nothing is worth wearing if it doesn’t protect you from a bullet.

Commercial pilots can fly their planes wearing thongs, it won’t kill them, but the bomb-defusing squad needs their uniform. In a hazardous industry, you need your safety gear. A police officer needs a bulletproof jacket. People die cleaning manholes because they don’t have their safety gear. We compromise on these dresses to get them useless accolades on their uniform.

On the idea of clothes being an integral part of your identity

I am confident Ruby will have her flair and style even if she borrowed and wore my clothes. Clothes can accentuate our ideas of self, style, and identity, but they are not the quintessential part of it.

My brain occupied with the philosophy of clothes, I went to see my mother. I posed that question to her.

I asked my mother, why do we wear clothes?
Mother: I don’t want to see you näked.

Can you take Nàkedness?

We wear clothes because we cannot stand nākedness. Nākedness horrifies us. We cannot look at each other as bare members of society. We have built cages of dignity, obscenity, outraging the modesty of women to keep us safe from nākedness. Have you ever seen a madman going around nāked? People would go around covering him with clothes and will rescue themselves from gazing into a mirror.

Nākedness silently reminds us that we are animals. We deny it by wearing clothes. Anything related to nākedness takes place in secrecy. The anxiety of nākedness compels us to conceal our bodies from the eyes of society. The foundation of every grooming industry lies in this state of solicitude. My hair is falling, I am fat, I am short, I have stretch marks, I have hair everywhere. All commercials decree a problem with how you look and how they can enshroud your look to mend it. Clothes mask all your insecurities but never liberates you.

Next time you want to topple the government, take your gun out of your underwear and march on to the parliament. It will arouse the government.

One can take anything except a nāked person on the street or anywhere. We even detest the nākedness of a dead person. When a person dies, their burial or cremating rituals mandates swathing the departed in new clothes. We are born nāked, but we embark on our afterlife abyss wrapped in clothes.

Last edited:
please fix the title by adding "in public"
Kasama din nmn sa content nya ung discussion ng clothes in private.
Besides, it is a philosophical work which also explains question like
"why we need a fancy houses"
"Why we need nice cars"
"Why do we like to own nice things"

Last edited:
We need to wear clothes to protect ourselves from elements, and to be acceptable in our modern society.

We need to wear clothes to protect ourselves from elements, and to be acceptable in our modern society.
I agree. But the article also has compelling points to go against this answer.

If you see someone wearing the same dress as yours. It would be the last time you both would wear that dress unless one of you emigrates from the town forever.

Thirdly, why do we hoard clothes? If the purpose of the dress is to protect you against all weathers, having a few should work, but we hoard dresses like squirrel’s hoard acorns for winters.

Fourthly, why do we wear clothes on a steamy summer evening?

Lastly, the raincoat is the most practical dress when it rains. But we often get soaked and drenched in the rain.

Wearing dresses is normal thing to do but hoarding dresses is an obsession. Squirrels hoard food as their survival during the winter depends on it. Do humans depend their survival of having more dresses to wear?

We wear clothes for summer weather because some places especially in public places is not appropriate to be seen ***** unless you came from ethnic group.

Rain coat is also a clothe designed to protect you from wet season. Most of people never wear it for various personal reasons