What's new

Trivia Why a carrot for a nose?

_iosora

Forum Veteran
Elite
Solutions
Reaction
Using a carrot for a snowman’s nose is a global tradition when it comes to constructing a snowman.

It is unsure why this is a common trend and there are many theories that suggest why we automatically use this vegetable.

Some of the earliest depictions of snowmen date back as far as the 1300s and they show snowmen with long pointed noses.

It could be that the carrot was used to emphasize this feature of snowmen.

They were represented as fierce and cold characters, so a pointy nose was a common way of making them appear harsh.

Much like we associate witches with a hooked or pointed nose, it was important for a snowman to carry these defined characteristics.

Other objects have been used throughout history for a snowman’s nose, things such as buttons and coal but the carrot is the most iconic item to use.

Traditionally a snowman would have coal for eyes and small pieces of coal to make a mouth.

The nose however would have been made from whatever resources were around at the time.

Sadly ts, i live in the Philippines and i will never experience snow here 😅. But thanks for this wonderful trivia and i hope i can experience to go on cold countries then make some kind of that 🤔. Pokpok ba si Snowman? kasi sabi sa kanta "Prosti the snowman was a jolly happy soul
With a corncob pipe and a button nose" 😂

Sadly ts, i live in the Philippines and i will never experience snow here 😅. But thanks for this wonderful trivia and i hope i can experience to go on cold countries then make some kind of that 🤔. Pokpok ba si Snowman? kasi sabi sa kanta "Prosti the snowman was a jolly happy soul
With a corncob pipe and a button nose" 😂
paps pwede naman, maglagay lang tayo ng ice sa paligid natin oks na yun, daig pa snow dun