What's new

Toni Gonzaga officially steps down as Pinoy Big Brother main host

kEWPIE

Forum Veteran
Elite
Solutions
Reaction
toni-gonzaga-statement-1644395429.jpg

ACTRESS-singer-host Toni Gonzaga has confirmed that she was bidding goodbye to ABS-CBN's "Pinoy Big Brother" (PBB).

In an Instagram post on Wednesday afternoon, the 38-year-old said it has been her greatest honor to host the reality TV competition for 16 long years.

"From witnessing all my co-hosts transition from housemates to PBB hosts are just some of the best moments in my life sa bahay ni Kuya! Today, I'm stepping down as your main host," she mentioned.

"I know Bianca [Gonzalez] and the rest of the hosts will continue the PBB legacy. It has been my privilege to greet you all with 'Hello Philippines' and 'Hello World' for the last 16 years. I will forever cherish the memories, big nights and moments in my heart. Thank you Kuya for everything. This is your angel, now signing off," Gonzaga added.

TV Patrol's MJ Felipe had mentioned in a tweet that a reliable source revealed Gonzaga has "voluntarily endorsed the main hosting job to Bianca Gonzales." This comes after she hosted on Tuesday night the proclamation rally of UniTeam headed by presidential candidate Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. and vice presidential candidate Sara Duterte at the Philippine Arena in Bulacan.

Gonzaga trended on Twitter with most of the posts criticizing her particularly when she introduced Rep. Rodante Marcoleta as part of the senatorial slate. Marcoleta is among the 70 members of the Congress who voted to reject the franchise renewal of ABS-CBN.

"Binabati natin ang lahat ang lahat ng nasa (We are greeting all those who are on) Twitter dahil trending ang BBM-SARA 2022 (because BBM-Sara 2022 is trending). At syempre, maraming salamat dahil trending din ang inyong lingkod (And of course, thank you because yours truly is also trending). I love you," she said in the program, even flashing a wink and peace sign.

It will be remembered that in July 2020, Gonzaga called out those who denied the franchise in an Instagram post.

She wrote, "Everyday ang sakit magbukas ng (it pains me to open) Viber dahil nagpapaalam na lahat ng mga katrabaho namin samin (because all of our fellow workers are saying goodbye). You may have the power now but it will not be forever. Sa lahat ng nasa posisyon ngayon, hindi namin makakalimutan ang ginawa niyo sa mga trabahador ng (To all those who are holding positions now, we will never forget what you did to our fellow workers at) ABS-CBN."

Among the employees and supporters of ABS-CBN who expressed their dismay on Gonzaga is Palanca awardee for poetry Jerry Gracio –a former scriptwriter of the network, now Kapamilya ng Manggagawang Pilipino party-list first nominee – who said also on Tuesday night that the actress-host should "resign out of delicadeza."

"TV Patrol" reporter Kevin Manalo also wrote on Twitter, "How dare they. This is hurtful and still unbelievable. I know I'm not the only media worker who feels this. Anong sabi ni ELJ (What did ELJ say)? In service of the Filipinos. Paano mo iaalign ang unity kung sinusuportahan mo quite vocally yung nagpasara sa network mo (How can you align unity if you will vocally support those who shut down your network)? Make it make sense."

This is not the first time Gonzaga received criticisms online because of politics. In September 2021, she interviewed Marcos Jr. – her wedding godfather – on her YøùTùbé show "Toni Talks."

Titled "The Greatest Lesson Bongbong Marcos Learned From His Father," some viewers alleged that the showbiz personality did not use her platform wisely and was reminded that it was Marcos Jr.'s father who also shutdown ABS-CBN in 1972.

Her husband, Paul Soriano also drew flak when he posted an Instagram story during the January 8 filming of Marcos Jr. and Duterte's campaign advertisement. It happened a day after Marcos Jr. was unable to attend the hearing on three disqualification cases filed against him before the Commission on Elections (Comelec) claiming he is undergoing quarantine. The director, however, clarified that Marcos Jr. was not onsite during the shoot.

In one of "Toni Talks" episode, Gonzaga mentioned she does not pay attention to bashers for they have been "canceled" many times throughout her 20-year career in showbiz.

Gonzaga rose to fame as one of the main hosts in the long-time afternoon variety show "Eat Bulaga" in 2002, following her well-known softdrink TV ad with Piolo Pascual in 2001. After a few projects in GMA, Gonzaga transferred to ABS-CBN in 2005, her home network of 17 years.

Source: You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Attachments

It's just right na magresign siya. Parang ang ginawa niya kase is yung nagpasa ng pinagtatrabahuhan niya ay sinuportahan niya. Malaking sampal sa boss niya yun kaya siguro nahihiya na din siya.

Ok lang yan... Toni G deserves a Respect. Move on na kasi mga bashers... Go for the new destiny and much better opportunities. 🥰😊Good job Toni Gonzaga.. awesome performances.♥️

Planado na 'yan tingin ko. Violation malamang ng kontrata niya na ma-involve directly sa politics kaya umalis na siya sakto lang bago mag-endorse sa Uniteam. Late lang siguro in-announce para hindi agaw-eksena. May offer na rin siya sa bagong channel 2 nina Villar ayon sa bulung-bulungan.