What's new

Closed Tips/Inputs On How to Protect Your Cyber-Self

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frigus

Addict
Reaction
So I was browsing thru facebook a while ago and I saw this interview between a Tech Editor and a Reporter and their topic was about Cybersecurity. When asked about it, the Editor took out his phone, opened Facebook and searched for the Reporter's account. When he finally got to it, he browsed casually for about 5 minutes and then told the Reporter how many kids she has, the specific city she's located in, where she went to for her last trip, her birthday, etc. It got me thinking how a regular person can better protect themselves when it comes to their online self in terms of personal accounts, businesses, etc. Any tips/useful guides for this? Thanks!!

Npa
So I was browsing thru facebook a while ago and I saw this interview between a Tech Editor and a Reporter and their topic was about Cybersecurity. When asked about it, the Editor took out his phone, opened Facebook and searched for the Reporter's account. When he finally got to it, he browsed casually for about 5 minutes and then told the Reporter how many kids she has, the specific city she's located in, where she went to for her last trip, her birthday, etc. It got me thinking how a regular person can better protect themselves when it comes to their online self in terms of personal accounts, businesses, etc. Any tips/useful guides for this? Thanks!!
Nasa YøùTùbé ata ito.

That is really scary. Imagine them getting all the info about you just like that. Well, maybe it's better to secure all accounts more, use more complicated PINs, turning off location, not stating important info like birthday or place of birth. We're not sure how others will use these against us. Some häçkers are just out there lurking around, so we better not give them a chance of vulnerability. Just my two cents :)

Well times have really changed - mas nakakatakot na ngayon especially when it comes to cybersecurity. Sundin nalang siguro yung recommended na security measures online. Ganun talaga eh, may trade off talaga yung pagiging connected online. Ingat ingat nalang tayo :)

In social media, I believe there are options to make your profile/account private. For example, Facebook has privacy options you can select from (only me, friends only, and friends of friends, and everyone), who can view your profile, read posts you posted, who can post in your timeline, etc. So, if you want to be safer on Facebook, you can change privacy preferences to friends only. As for other social media sites, I believe there are tweaks you can do to make your account/profile more private (I'm just not sure about it, though. I only use Facebook) ;). There are plenty of ways to be safer online, using a vpn is one way of keeping you safe online. Also, not divulging or how you are divulging any sensitive and confidential information about you or anyone online is a path you can take down to cybersecurity lane ;). Lastly, if an option is available for a 2-way authentication method upon login, then you should enable that. I hope this will be of some help to those who are not aware about those options in social media.

In social media, I believe there are options to make your profile/account private. For example, Facebook has privacy options you can select from (only me, friends only, and friends of friends, and everyone), who can view your profile, read posts you posted, who can post in your timeline, etc. So, if you want to be safer on Facebook, you can change privacy preferences to friends only. As for other social media sites, I believe there are tweaks you can do to make your account/profile more private (I'm just not sure about it, though. I only use Facebook) ;). There are plenty of ways to be safer online, using a vpn is one way of keeping you safe online. Also, not divulging or how you are divulging any sensitive and confidential information about you or anyone online is a path you can take down to cybersecurity lane ;). Lastly, if an option is available for a 2-way authentication method upon login, then you should enable that. I hope this will be of some help to those who are not aware about those options in social media.

Thanks for all the info! But can you educate us more about VPN please?

Fine tune your privacy settings. Only show the public a general perspective about your life. Do not ever share specifics on social media; as a quick Google search can reveal a lot about your personal life. Use a personal, work or social media email if needed to truely protect your identity. I know it is a hassle but it is better than doing a G search and see your spouse, kids and mutual friends on the results page. :)

May bagong nagawa na laptop sila snowden pure o.s ang operating system niya which is from linux at saka super safe siya grabe ang ganda nung laptop if gusto mo super secure na laptop.

PureOS is a Linux distribution focusing on privacy and security, using the GNOME desktop environment. It is maintained by Purism for use in the company's Librem laptop computers as well as the Librem 5 smartphone.
images.jpeg

Attachments

Fine tune your privacy settings. Only show the public a general perspective about your life. Do not ever share specifics on social media; as a quick Google search can reveal a lot about your personal life. Use a personal, work or social media email if needed to truely protect your identity. I know it is a hassle but it is better than doing a G search and see your spouse, kids and mutual friends on the results page. :)

You're 100% right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back