What's new

Stories The Parcel of Salvation

WhatMV

Eternal Poster
Reaction
The Parcel of Salvation
by MGL Emvie

When an epidemic spread in the Empire, Imperial General Hospital called Dr. Estes to contain the plague.

"Worry not." Estes said. "Herbal medicine and natural therapy could absolutely save the Empire. The Ministry of Medicine and the believers of the moon guarantee a hundred percent success rate."

True. The patients that they handled got cured and the success rate were perfect. However, the infection spread faster than anticipated and unfortunately, it's known that herbal preparation were slow. So, the line in hospital beds lined up, and patients at the far end of that line died. This unforseen event became a nationwide news.

"Something must be done!" Rafaela said, as she watched the news from a bright room that looked like a laboratory of some sort.

She frowned her eyebrows as he looked at the exhausted medical staffs, who were getting interviewed on TV. Some of them lie flat on the floor, with dead eyes and chipped lips.

"Natural healers aren't enought." she thought. "That style won't work on an emergency settings. Will the moon come down and heal the sick? Estes banned the use of synthethic medicine but only science and technololgy could save them from that chaos."

Rafaela gazed at the TV. The reporter caught the Minister of Medicine to get an interview. "Doctor Estes! Patient's were dying left and right. How're you going to cure this plague?"

"We're doing our best. All who received the treatment survive-- hundred percent! But the waves of patients challenges the hospital's manpower. So we pray to the moon's blessing to lend us strength."

Rafaela jumped from her chair. "Lack of personnel? You mean lack of preperation! The moon! The moon? Don't he recognize it's day? Why not pray to the sun instead?" she said sarcastically.

As hours passed, the day grew brighter but the floors of the hospital turned bloodier. The eyes and lips of Estes's team became dry as they have sweated all the sweat they could sweat. Like a can getting shot by a pellet, the hospital staff collapsed one by one, gasping for air. However, the number of patients kept increasing. The slow preparation of medical herbs became even more slower. Boil that, boil this. Grind that, grind this. Medicine just cannot keep up.

It was at this moment that a jeepney came in the emergency driveway, looking out of place from the ambulances in the line. A man of bulking muscles came out and forced his way to the flooding patients. He then reached Estes.

"Delivery from Rafaela pharmaceutical." he said.

Estes opened the mysterious parcel and there he found a letter. It says:

"To Minister Estes. I understand that during these hectic hour, a minute delay could mean a life lost. But I inteded to reduce the suffering of the patients and ease the workload of the hospital staff. I question not the powers and skills of your miraculous hands but peoople kept dying in the roof of your battleground. So here, this parcel contains vials of synthethic medicine, ready to use through oral intake or injection. Lift the ban on synthetic medicne and keep your promise on the dying populace."

Estes disliked synthethic drugs. The bursting scent of antibiotics were like a punch to his nostrils. Although skeptical, these medicines were ready to use so Estes rushed and called the team to distribute the antidote before patients expire.

As Death grabbed all the patient's neck, they took the medicine without a question. Sometimes they took it from the nurse's hands. "Help me!" they cried, desperate for medical attention.

But after half a minute of distribution, the wind changed its direction.

"The patients calmed down?" Estes said looking at the vials, surprised. "This rate of recovery is too good to be true. We needed to observe them more. Rafaela's pharmaceuticals, huh?"

Later, twilight skies then sneaked in Estes's office and then dozen of reports from the nurses came. The patients complained rashes and itching, dizziness, and upset stomach.

"All of them?".

"No sir, just the patients who were treated with the vials."

"Hurry! Check it quickly!" Estes ordered as his eybrows and his fist slowly crumpled. "Rafela! You'll pay for this! How dare you test your synthetic medicines on my patients."

Although sleepless and tired, the nurses and doctors dragged their feet from the patients left and right to prevent repeating the chaos earlier in that day. So when dawn came, they claimed victory over that emergency without predictable problems in the near future.

And so Estes thought that it's time to call the authority to held Rafaela responsible for the mediciine that caused discomfort to his patients. Even though he ordered the administration himself, he asked the police to drag Rafaela to the police precinct.

"You're right!" exclaimed Rafela. "These medicine brought in undesirable effects however, you cannot rule out the truth that their conditions improved. Although, you're medicine proved to be exceptional, the parcel that I sent you became the key and the beacon of hope in that chaotic hospital, saving a lot of patients. Trust the antidote, it will treat the epidemic much faster than it could spread."

But the police officers were disinterested in medical stuff and their eyes looked as if saying, let the investigation and the court handle this. But before they could return to their desks, dozens of unfamiliar faces rushed in through the doors of the precinct.

They hurried to Rafaela. "Thank you! You saved our family!" They roared and then filled the precinct with words of gratitude and wonder of her imprisonment.

But Rafaela just smirked.

"Estes, you're naive. Doctors won't harm the patients. It's not a competition between us but against our common enemy --the epidemic."

The crowd forced the police to free Rafaela, the hero. Sooner, Rafaela returned to her factory to produce more antidote to be delivered in poorer communities through secured parcel deliveries. This followed a widespread vaccination, ultimately ending the epidemic.

Author's Note: "Thanks for reading! I am not professional but I try to provide entertainment through beautiful stories. I wanted to improvemy writing more so I needed reader's feedbacks. Comment your thoughts, thank you!" ~~Emvie

"Read more of my stories. Visit my threads!"

No comment kaming writers diyan, hshshshs

Yes, the characters in this story is based on the characters in ML. It is written considering the persona, abilities, position, and aura.

Can you guess who is the tank in the story?
si johnson hahaha