What's new

Rodante Marcoleta wí†hdráws from Senate race

sinner231_100

Honorary Poster
Reaction
Sayang naman sya pa naman nangunguna sa listahan ko... 😥

MANILA – House Deputy Speaker Rodante Marcoleta has backed out of the May 9, 2022 senatorial race.

In a press statement, Marcoleta said he decided to drop his senatorial bid following his “poor” rating in pre-election surveys.

“The fighter in me should also be brave enough to read the writings on the wall,” Marcoleta said.

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte, in a recent one-on-one interview with Marcoleta, revealed that he was one of the people who lobbied the lawmaker to run for senator.

During the President’s Chatroom aired on state-run PTV-4 on April 9, Duterte praised Marcoleta for being a “principled man, extremely honest and a [man] with integrity.”

Duterte also lauded Marcoleta for being the most vocal legislator opposing the franchise renewal bid of local media giant ABS-CBN Corp.

Marcoleta thanked Duterte for the “positive and generous endorsement” of his candidacy for senator.

He also expressed gratitude to the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban), the People’s Reform Party, and the UniTeam for including him in their respective senatorial slates.

“I will be indebted forever to several people who chipped in their resources, time and tons of hardwork into my memorable campaign. I thank the hundreds of parallel support groups and thousand of volunteers who believed in my advocacies and the measures that must be pursued for the common good. I just hope that they will all be so kind and accommodating enough to understand,” he said.

Despite his wí†hdráwal, Marcoleta vowed to continue supporting the UniTeam tandem of former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. and Davao City Mayor Sara “Inday” Duterte.

“The BBM-Sara tandem exemplifies the politics of unity and working together, despite the divergent political persuasions, for the sake of the motherland – an element that is conspicuously absent in other teams,” Marcoleta said.

Marcoleta also assured the senatorial candidates of the UniTeam and PDP-Laban of his “all-out and continuing” support.

Commission on Elections (Comelec) Commissioner George Garcia said the poll body’s en banc has already accepted Marcoleta’s decision.

“Confirmed. It was accepted by the Commission en banc earlier,” Garcia said in a Viber message.

He said Marcoleta submitted his statement of wí†hdráwal on April 21.

“Yes, he went to my office, carrying with him his statement of wí†hdráwal and I referred him to the law department,” Garcia said.

Garcia said Marcoleta’s reason of his wí†hdráwal is “too personal”.

“I’m not at liberty to disclose,” he added.

The poll body official, however, said Marcoleta still has to submit his Statement of Contributions and Expenditures (SOCE).

All candidates are required to submit to the Comelec their SOCE a month after the elections. (with reports from Ferdinand Patinio/PNA)

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

No. 1 din sa listahan ko yan si marcoleta
Sayang pero ganon talaga
May nagsasabi na dahil mababa sya sa survey,
Pero may nagsasabi rin na dahil daw sa franchise joke ni roque

Ang siste daw kasi idol, kapag natalo ang isang kandidato ay 1 year siyang hindi pwede makapasok sa gobyerno. Plano na siguro ng uniteam yan kasi sure naman na siguro na BBM/SARA ang mananalo bukas. Having said that, Marcoleta withdrew para pwede siya agad i-appoint ni BBM. Tactics at its finest.