What's new

Closed Read [TUT] Repairing Corrupted RAR Archives with Recovery Record

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you download stuff off the internet, most likely, you have encountered files having the RAR extension. It’s the format of the popular archiving software WinRAR, the purpose of which is to split big files into smaller chunks and to lower the file size. However, there are times which they can be corrupted due to several reasons such as the upload/download process, problems with the server, internet connection, etc.
ranting.gif

This guide teaches you how to repair a corrupted RAR archive with the help of Recovery Record, I made this guide because a lot of users are having problems extracting the content(s) of the archive due to volume corruption, CRC errors, etc (especially if the file is downloaded from MediaFire, read about it here). Maybe some of you already know about it, but a lot of users don’t, especially newbies, so I created this guide for the sake of “noobs”.
biggrin.gif

What you need:

- WinRAR, if you don’t have it, you can download it You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now..

- A little bit of common sense.
rolleyes.gif

Here we go.
biggrin.gif

I downloaded a file split in 6 parts (200MB each) posted here (uploaded by jaymastergwapo).
biggrin.gif

While I was extracting its content, I encountered an error saying that three parts are corrupted.
upset.gif

Instead of wasting bandwidth re-downloading the corrupted part(s), check first if the archive has a Recovery Record. To check if it’s present, check the Properties of the archive (Right-click >> Properties).
smile.gif

If it’s present, you have a good chance of fixing the archive, otherwise, sad to say, you can’t repair the archive. You can just re-download the corrupted part or tell the uploader to re-upload it.
mybad.gif

Next step is to open any part with WinRAR and click the “Up one level” button. Highlight the corrupted part(s) (in my case, there are three), go to Tools and select “Repair Archive” or just simply press “Alt+R”. A box will pop up and select “Treat the corrupt archive as RAR”, and click “OK”.
biggrin.gif

Then the repairing process will begin.
clap.gif

Wait until you see the message “Done”, and then click “Close”.
thumbsup.gif

New file(s) (in my case, there are three) will show up with their filename having the prefix “fixed.”.

Move the corrupted part(s) in other location (I just created a folder inside that directory), just in case.

After moving the part(s), rename the repaired file(s), just remove the prefix “fixed.”, so that it’ll have the same file name along with the other parts.
wink.gif

After renaming the file(s), you can now extract the content(s) of the archive(s) without errors.
biggrin.gif

In my case, it’s the Pacquiao-Cotto fight.
biggrin.gif

This is just the most common case of repairing corrupted archives, there are other cases which you have to use a Hex Editor to fix the archive. I’ll make a guide on it when I find corrupted archives which suit that case.
biggrin.gif

Here’s a You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. to that type of case, though this guide is pretty much outdated.
lol.gif

Thanks for reading.
smile.gif

Feel free to ask questions.
biggrin.gif

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.