MANILA, Philippines – After a congressman filed a bill that seeks to officially declare adobo as the country’s national food among other national symbols, another lawmaker filed a bill today seeking to declare Piolo Pascual as the Philippines’ “National Ultimate Heartthrob”.
Bohol Seventh District Rep. Wally Magwa Mabuti proposed House Bill 7248 or the “Philippine National Personalities Act of 2014” to provide a basis for the declaration and recognition of the country’s national personalities.
“In the Philippines, there are thousands of nicknames and monikers being given to personalities. However, of these monikers, none are official, that is with basis either in the Constitution, Republic Acts and Proclamations,” Mabuti said.
“Kilala naman natin kung sino si ‘pambansang kamao’, sino si ‘star for all seasons’, at sino si ‘the living legend’ diba?” he asked. “Pero hindi sila lahat officially kinikilala sa ating saligang batas at ito ang nais baguhin ng panukalang ito.“
The lawmaker added that these personalities with their unofficial nicknames are now considered “blatantly colorums” for not having basis for their declaration.
“Iniiwasan lang natin na sa paglipas ng panahon eh hindi na makikilala ng mga susunod na henerasyon etong mga personalidad tulad nila Nora Aunor, Piolo Pascual at marami pang iba,” added the lawmaker from Bohol.
Mabuti said the State has a declared policy “to inculcate fanaticism, nationalism and appreciation of the role of personalities and icons in the historical development of the country.”
Under the proposed law, the following will be declared or re-declared as officially ‘national’:
- National Ultimate Heartthrob – Piolo Pascual
- National Fist (Pambansang Kamao) - Emmanuel ”Manny” Pacquiao
- National Star For All Seasons – Vilma Santos – Recto
- National Bookstore – National Bookstore
- National Fish for the Picky Eater – Boneless Bangus
- National Fans Club of National Ultimate Heartthrob – Forever Fans of Piolo Pascual Los Baños Chapter
- National Scapegoat – Gloria Macapagal Arroyo*(Effective until May 2016 only)
- National Barbecue Chicken (Pambansang Litson Manok) – Andok’s
- National Superstar – Nora Aunor
- National No. 1 FM Station in Metro Manila – All Of Them
- National Superhero – Darna
- National Living Legend – Robert Jaworski
- National Lechon (Pambansang Lechon)- ElarZ
- National Mermaid – Dyesebel
- National “Extreme” Food – Balut
- National Dip for National Fruit – Bagoong
- National ‘Wrong Title’ for National Anthem – Bayang Magiliw
- National Bread – Pandesal
- National Getaway Vehicle – Wheelchair
- National University – National University
- National Sauce (Sarsa ng Bayan)- Mang Tomas – Sarsa ng Bayan
You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.