What's new

Closed pfSense to solve you unstable internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaoQiang

Eternal Poster
Reaction
Tip ko sa mga gumagamit ng consumer grade na router, gawa nalang kayo ng barebone/virtual pfSense box. Current setup ko naka selective routing meaning all trafiic sa normal WAN gateway tapos pag Netflix sa VPN gateway naman (US) para mas maraming movie. Ready narin siya sa openvpn, squid and iba pang trix para network wide na di ung e-setup mo pa every device mo.

Bale router-in-a-box setup ko kasi virtualised si pfSense pero siya parin main router dito sa bahay. :)

pf.JPG

pf1.JPG

Attachments

pfSense is a very good router/firewall. But virtual router is never a good idea. Install it in a physical machine instead.

• If the host machine goes down, can you tell me what's gonna happen to your entire network?
  • If you upgrade the host (and when upgrading, things can break) including the virtualization software, what's gonna happen to your network?
  • You can not power down the host even if it is not being used.

[XX='homer_simpson, c: 27680, m: 1361956'][/XX]
  • Host machine is set to autoboot if power goes down. Also, it is using back up power (UPS). Network downtime is about 1min if for some reason backup power does not kick in.
  • For Type 1 hypervisors, upgrade frequency is too long to pose a problem. You also do not require upgrading server grade software unless it is almost to be EOL.
  • Host machine is serving other things like NAS, test/dev sites and other VMs. I do not need to power it off coz the main idea is to centralise the control of my network/apps/PCs/VMs.

At first I was thinking that you have personal inputs regarding this matter. However, the points presented are found on forums (that I have read). Make your own homelab before commenting and sounding like a know-it-all person. :D

If you feel like not accepting any input, so be it. Each to their own. Apparently, it is you who appears to sound like a know-it-all person by not entertaining valid points. Now if you are going to say that the points I presented are found on forums, of course they are found on forums... so are the ones that you are currently presenting. You do not upgrade OS stack, virtualizing software, ok good on you.

You are actually missing the point, buddy. I have my own use case thus I much prefer this setup than the traditional ones that you have cited. No one is entitled to tell me what to do coz our use for hardware/software maybe different. I you do not like how I do things, you should have not started replying wit your own biased opinion that may be applicable on your end but not with mine. Period. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back