TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour Bake: 15 min.
MAKES: 10 servings
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 packages (14.1 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small saucepan, mix cornstarch and broth until blended; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a large skillet, cook pork, garlic and seasonings over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until pork is no longer pink, breaking up pork into crumbles; drain. Add broth mixture; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Unroll each pastry sheet. On a work surface, roll each into a 12-in. circle. Using floured round cookie cutters, cut twenty 4-in. circles and twenty 2-3/4-in. circles, rerolling scraps as needed. Place large circles in ungreased muffin cups, pressing pastry onto bottoms and up sides.
- Fill each with 3 tablespoons pork mixture. Place small circles over filling; press edges with a fork to seal. In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk; brush over tops. Cuts slits in pastry.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove pies to wire racks. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pies in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw pies in refrigerator overnight. Reheat on ungreased baking sheets in a preheated 350° oven 14-17 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.