TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
MAKES: 4 servings
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
3 rolls equals 323 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 762 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch 1 vegetable
- In a Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls. (Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use.) Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- In a large bowl, combine no-salt-added tomato sauce, onion, rice, chili powder, garlic powder and salt. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into 12 balls. Place one meatball on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose meatball. Secure with toothpicks.
- Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Pour remaining tomato sauce over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is no longer pink and cabbage is tender. Discard toothpicks. Yield: 4 servings.