What's new

Closed Mango Chicken Curry

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeanh

Mango Chicken Curry

mango-chicken-curry-520-a.jpg

There’s something about the combination of mango and chicken that just works. We eat mango chutney with roast chicken so often that I even started making my own You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. just so we wouldn’t run out. Here is a mango chicken curry I whipped up the other day. I love it, but my father thinks it’s a little on the sweet side, so feel free to reduce the amount of mango the recipe calls for if you want a little less sweet. Or add a little more vinegar. The amounts are approximate, feel free to experiment.

Mango Chicken Curry Recipe

• Prep time: 15 minutes
  • Cook time: 1 hour
  • Yield: Serves 6.
Mangoes that are slightly unripe, on the firm side, will hold up better in this recipe, but won't be as sweet as ripe mangoes. So, if you use firm, less than perfectly ripe mangoes, you may need to balance the recipe with more sugar or raisins. If you use sweet mangoes, you may need to balance the recipe with a little more vinegar.

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 to 2 cups)
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 Tbsp fresh minced ginger
  • 2 Tbsp yellow curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 mangos, You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
  • 2 Tbsp cider vinegar or white vinegar
  • 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk (If using lowfat coconut milk, add 2 Tbsp heavy cream)
  • 1 1/4 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/3 cup golden raisins (optional)
  • Salt and pepper
  • Cilantro for garnish
METHOD
mango-chicken-curry-11.jpgmango-chicken-curry-12.jpg

1 Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute. Add the curry powder and cumin, cook for a few more minutes. The spices will absorb some of the oil, so if anything begins to stick too much to the bottom of the pan, add a little more oil to the pan.

mango-chicken-curry-13.jpgmango-chicken-curry-14.jpg

2 Add the vinegar, coconut milk, and one of the two chopped mangoes to the pan. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to maintain a low simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat. Scoop the sauce into a blender. Purée the sauce, pulsing until smooth. Return the sauce to the pan.

mango-chicken-curry-15.jpgmango-chicken-curry-16.jpg

3 Add chicken pieces and raisins to the pan. Return to a low simmer. Cover the pan and let cook for 8-10 minutes. Chicken should be just cooked through. Use a knife to cut open the largest piece to check.

4 Add remaining chopped mango to the pan. Stir in the cream, if using. Let cook at a very low temperature for another minute or two, uncovered. Do not let boil! Or the cream may curdle. Adjust seasonings. If a little too sweet, add a little more vinegar. If not sweet enough, you can add a dash of sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over rice. Garnish with cilantro.

12268992_1015295498493359_687925762_o.jpg

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.