What's new

Mandatory prepaid SIM registration sought

PHC - GLORIOUS

Eternal Poster
Reaction

1620559451821.png

MANDATORY PREPAID SIM REGISTRATION SOUGHT​

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. (The Philippine Star) - May 9, 2021 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — A bill seeking the registration of all prepaid SIM cards is being pushed in the House of Representatives amid rising cases of online scams.

Deputy Speaker for Trade and Industry Wes Gatchalian called for the immediate passage of his House Bill No. 5793, the Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) Card Registration Act, that would help authorities run after people behind fraudulent online activities.

“We change SIM cards as fast as we change our soiled shirts. Alarmingly, this seeming boundless stream of supply has become a magnet for nefarious and îllégâl activities,” Gatchalian said.

He cited for instance the recent spike in fraudulent bookings in food delivery services like GrabFood and Food Panda which rip off both merchants and riders.

“Because users can create fake names and hide behind the anonymity that a prepaid mobile number can give, they become brazen in committing fraudulent acts,” he lamented.

The Valenzuela congressman said telecommunications firms, delivery riders and the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) support mandatory SIM card registration.

“We want to protect the interest of our hardworking food and package delivery riders who have no choice but absorb the expenses and the penalties incurred when they fall victim to these pranks and scams,” he said.

Gatchalian said the proposed measure could also help eradicate text scams. “We would easily be able to ascertain the identity of these scammers as everyone purchasing a prepaid SIM card would now be required to provide a valid ID,” he said.

His proposed registration of mobile prepaid SIM cards goes hand-in-hand with the proposed Internet Transactions Act (ITA), of which he is also a principal author, in curbing îllégâl activities online.

“SIM card registration imposes liability on the user while the ITA imposes solidary liability on the e-commerce platform with the online merchant in specific instances. With these two laws in place, the e-commerce sphere would be a safer place for consumers and businesses alike,” he said.

Source: You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Any thoughts? Mukhang hihirap na sa Freenet kapag naipasa ito:(

Attachments

Last edited:
di ko binasa... tinatamad ako magbasa but my thoughts: tanong ko, pati ba minors obligado?
I'm asking kasi dito sa amin kahit 4 or 5 years old na bata naka-cp din
at kung sa nanay or tatay iregister... kung ang nanay at tatay nun eh may tig 2 cp na dual sim so kelangan ireregister lahat kasama yung sa bata?
hanggang ilang sim ang allowed bilhin at iregister ng isang tao?

oh well... I guess we'll find out soon enough kung mai-push nga yan

For me it makes sense na isabay na lang yan nila sa National ID System na ginagawa nila. Since nandun naman na yung kailangan nilang mga datos, kumbaga ito na din yung magiging "permanent" number mo kaakibat ng National ID mo. Magiging redundant kasi ang dating nyan e, kasi dun pa lang sa National ID Registration, nanghihingi na sila ng "permanent" number mo. Pero syempre papasok na naman dyan yung "pondo".

Ang tanong dyan ts kung isang sim card lang ba ang papayagan nila iregister, or puede mas marami pa, kung isa lang ay patay tayo dyan, wala ng freenet.

Hmmm 🤔 well that has it goes then let it in. Sa akin iba lang bakit di kaya may file din sila ng batas para may profiling din sila sa mga budget na napapasa kamay nila 😅, mostly scams are little things lang (but i am not pabor sa ganito ah). May point here is mas malaki ang scam ng mga tongressman harharhar sa gobyerno. Transparency sana din sa mga ginagastos nila at pwedeng i-download online kung san napupunta in details ang mga pera harharhar 😈.

Napakaraming problema ng bansa na mas malala pa dyan na dapat unahin. Samantalang ang mga nasa gobyerno ang legal na scammers. Tama ba?