Mac and Cheese Soup
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 cups uncooked small pasta shells
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups milk (or half-and-half)
- 8 ounces Velveeta, cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar (4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon (scant) cayenne pepper
- Cook pasta shells to al dente in salted water. They will cook a little more in the soup and absorb liquid from it, so be careful not to overcook.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large pot. Add celery and onion and cook until celery is soft.
- Sprinkle flour on top of celery and onion. Stir it into the butter and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk. Bring to a simmer. Add dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Continue to simmer until it thickens some.
- Add cubes of Velveeta and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese.
- Stir in cooked pasta and serve.