What's new

IP add difference using VPN

Virtual Private Network

A system whereby you can connect to another computer over the internet via a secured 'tunnel'. This is different to connecting to a website or other computer via a simple SSL link as it creates a virtual network adapter on your PC and IP addresses are privately assigned to those adapters, thus making it a private network.

When you connect this way, you could use a PC in Korea to connect to the internet, which in effect makes your PC in the UK or US look as though it is in Korea, since the Korean host is acting as a gateway to the internet for you.

So your PC could be seen as creating a tunnel from the UK to Korea and emerging on the other side and accessing the internet or other resources there.

4. Well yes the IP Address would be different, because the purpose of a VPN is to give you an online privacy and anonymity by creating a private network from a public internet connection. What VPNs do is mask your IP Address, and depending on how you use it you can be virtually untraceable. VPN can also be very useful in accessing restricted **** sites and such, and it can also establish a secure and encrypted connections. :)) .

4. Well yes the IP Address would be different, because the purpose of a VPN is to give you an online privacy and anonymity by creating a private network from a public internet connection. What VPNs do is mask your IP Address, and depending on how you use it you can be virtually untraceable. VPN can also be very useful in accessing restricted **** sites and such, and it can also establish a secure and encrypted connections. :)) .
This is just plain wrong. Using a VPN does not give you privacy. You are simply switching your trust from your ISP to another provider. It is traceable in several ways: 1) just look at how many cases VPN providers snitched their users. I'm looking at you HMA; 2) the VPS host can see your activities;

Secure and encrypted you say? You can also do the same in your bare IP.

Depends on how you look at it. Say you connect to a Public WiFi access point, using a VPN gives you an immediate online privacy and basic security against MiTM attacks. And I did say depending how you use it, I believe an extra layer is never bad.

"Secure and encrypted you say? You can also do the same in your bare IP."
Well tell that to non-tech/average users.

Problem here is you are creating an impression that by using a vpn, it will magically make your connections, secure, private, untraceable etc etc. This is just plain wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, did you read the question? or are you saying that you can already provide an in-depth explanation/answer to that while still a student. The answer I provided is how most students/entry level tech would answer the question because that's how you would briefly explain the concept of VPN. and while I do admit that the untraceable part is overstated, I still think I can get a passing mark for my answer. whaddya think? 🙃

The issue here is not being a student, a teacher or even a dog. The issue here is about your explanation being technically inaccurate.

If I'm your teacher, I won't give you a passing mark simply because you are making tons of assumptions.

Last edited by a moderator: