What's new

Stories Hide the Pain

WhatMV

Eternal Poster
Reaction
Cover.png

Hide the Pain
MGL Emvie

Terizla would pay and spend sweat and blood for the happiness of his son, Julian. He would spent late nights in his work to craft toys that would put the widest of smiles in his kid's face. The blacksmith guild was proud to have such an amazing leader, and his family was much prouder to have such a loving father.

It was father's day. Julian rushed to the market in the morning to catch the freshest apples and bread. He stopped by in front a coffees and tea vendor, and then grabbed a few copper coins in his little pocket. Julian then turned to the old man behind the deck laying coffees and bottle of fruit juices in the trays and asked, "Is this enough for an orange juice?"

The vendor stared at the coins and rolled his eyes at the kid. He then tightened his lips and exhaled. "Kid..." he said in a somehow sighing tone.

"Do fathers love orange juices?" Julian retorted.

"Is this for your father?" the vendor pulled a slight smile. He looked at his family picture frame hanging on the wall behind and nodded. He then extended the kid a bottle of orange juice and replied, "Sure, he will love this."

Julian, then rushed home. "Look mother!" he said in a boastful manner. He laid the food he shopped in the table and his mother collected and tidied the food in a basket.

A cute smile drew on Julian's face. He imagines the smile his gift will bring to his father.

"Up you go!" Julian's mother exclaimed with joy.

Julian replied a cheerful look at his mother and snatched the basket. He turned to the road and exclaimed, "I'll be off mother!"

Julian rushed to the side road and hopped his way to the blacksmithing site where his father works.

"Careful! Just call your father when you arrived. Let him meet you!" Julian's mother exclaimed but Julian was thinking differently.

Julian wanted to surprise his father.

The stench of iron and embers followed the dew in the morning breeze. As Julian stood before the gates near the blacksmithing site, the scent of sweat and water vapour filled his nostril. Sometimes, hot wind would whoosh to his face as per the banging of what seemed a huge hammering machine. The pounding could vibrate the ground up to the hair in Julian's skin. And each time the clapping and clanging of metals echoes, Julian imagines his father working hard early in the day.

"I'm sure father will love this." he said.

Julian knew that Terizla, his father, worked on the upper level of smithing processes. He gazed at the door with a sign, 'Careful! Heavy Machines and Tools' and turned his foot in that direction. As he approaches, the heat in the smelting tubs and the smell of irons and metals turned lava had intensifies. The heat pulled his sweat from his forehead and neck, making him go "hoooh!"

Julian leaned his right shoulder on the marble door. He tucked his foot on the ground and pushed until a creaking sound echoes. When bright light burst out from a small slit, Julian left the door ajar and slide his body to the narrow opening. His eyes swiftly caught his father, who hammers a sword glowing in green.

A chain as huge as a tree trunk swings down and blocked Julian's sight to his father. So, Julian stepped to the side to get a better view. But the bulky machinery kept turning and moving, and it's getting on the way.

Julian wanted to catch his father's attention, so he shouted, "Father!"

Terizla dropped his mace and rolled his head towards the direction of the familiar voice. His eyes was in a mix of worry and excitement.

Julian hopped on a metal bridge and hurried to his father. But Julian's leg tripped on a lever. He fell on a chain connected to a forge.

A gigantic hammer thundered on a massive anvil, where on top, molten iron slide to fill a melting bucket. The machine creaked and moved the chain that carry the melting bucket. The bucket then moved above head Julian and sloped, about to splash the molten iron at the boy.

Terizla's eyes turned grim. He scurried to his son so swiftly he could beat a mounted Leomord in a race. A metal pole tried to obstruct the way to delay his resuce. But his eyes deleted all view except his son. When his shoulder bumped into the pole, the metal pole got bent and Terizla's speed, instead of slowing, accelerated. He leapt to grab his son around his arm. He then pushed the smelting bucket with his bare right hand.

Terizla could hear the sizzles on his palm. And from the gaps between his palm and the bucket, smoke seeped through. He hold it for five seconds until the machine that control the bucket finished the mechanical instructions to deliver the molten iron. The chains then pulled back the bucket and Julian was saved.

Excitement without a hint of pain filled Terizla's gaze. He pulled his right arm to grab the towel on his shoulder, while acting to wipe Julian's sweat. He secretly wrapped his injury.

"Why are you here?" Terizla asked so gently.

"I like to surprise you father!"

Terizla smiled. "Oh, is this for me? I am happy." He pat his son's head and lead the way out. Terizla took the apple, but as per Terizla's suggestion, Julian finished the sandwich and the juice meant as his own gift.

"Now. Go and tell your mother to prepare a feast." Terizla said and winked at Julian.
At a young age, Julian may not realize his father love but his heart could feel the nature of care and loving. Such is a father's love. How wonderful that relationship would have become if the church of the Moniyan Empire hadn't come to massacre the Blacksmith Guild and ruin Terizla's family.

Author's Note: "Thanks for reading! Let me write much more interesting and beautiful stories. Tell me your opinions, constructive criticism, and thoughts about this story. Comment which parts are funny, boring, and interesting. Finally, give me idea if this story became relatable in your life experience. Enjoy!

To my PHC readers, I love that you react in the story that I thought so hard to write. But please, I wish for you to comment your thoughts other than "thanks." Your comment, positive or negative, will be welcomed and it will inspire me to write more and improve even better. Long live the readers! Let's train our minds and imagination!

Attachments