You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
- 2slices soft bread, like white or potato
- 1 to 2teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1 to 2slices sharp white cheddar cheese or your favorite melty cheese
- 1large egg
- Freshly ground pepper
- Sea Salt
- Start heating a non-stick pan on medium-low. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on one slice of bread and place the bread mayonnaise-side down in the pan.
- Cut the cheese into thirds. Place one-third on each side of the bread in the pan. Cut the remaining third in half and fill in the top and bottom of the gap between the other slices of cheese, leaving a cheese-less square in the middle. [Editors' note: You want to cover the entire slice of bread except for the square in the center where you'll be cutting a hole through the sandwich.]
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the other slice of bread and place it on top of the cheese, mayonnaise-side up. Cook the sandwich for a few minutes until the bottom is golden brown.
- Flip the sandwich over. Using a cookie cutter or a drinking glass, cut out a hole in the middle of the sandwich about 2 1/2- to 2 3/4-inches wide. Remove the circle of bread (you can continue grilling this on the side of the pan) and ***** the egg into the hole. Cover and cook until the egg is set to your liking.
- Slide the sandwich onto a plate. Season the egg with freshly ground pepper and sea salt (I used a red Alaea salt, which is why the egg looks like it has measles). Serve with tomato soup, if you like.