What's new

Ghost of KYIV

SphynX_PHC

Honorary Poster
Reaction
FB_IMG_1646125175859.jpg

THE STORY OF THE GHOST OF KYIV

A few days ago, an urban legend took off in the various media and went absolutely viral: the “Ghost Of Kyiv”. The story is that a single Ukrainian MiG-29 Fulcrum fighter pilot had used his six R27 (AA-10 Alamo) missiles and shot down no less than six Russian warplanes within one day in the skies over Kyiv. Two Su-35 Flankers, two Su-25 Frogfoots, a MiG-29 Fulcrum and a Su-27 Flanker. If true, this would instantly make this Aviator the first European “Fighter Ace” since World War Two. Badass…

However, when examining more closely the equipment used by both parties, it almost seems impossible to be true. Almost, because I, too, have no proof at all whether it is true or not. The rumour keeps persisting however. Even former Ukrainian President Poroshenko says it’s true. Even several names of the possible pilot have circulated. But, as much as we all might want it to not be just an urban legend and the Ukrainians sincerely hope it isn’t, it still isn’t automatically true.

Pilot’s level of training and experience aside, the hardware used is of particular concern. The Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum is the West’s F-16’s Eastern counterpart. Time-wise and (Russian) technology-wise. The plane is getting quite old, its avionics and weapon systems too. The munitions used, the AA-10 Alamo radar-guided missiles, have a fairly poor track record in terms of hitting capability. Very much like the West’s old AIM-7 Sparrow. It all comes nowhere near the modern stuff.

And that’s what the Russians throw into the battle: more modern hardware as well as possibly better training. So, it would be nothing short of a miracle if the Ghost Of Kyiv and his track record actually existed. It would mean superb flying skills, an impeccable killing instinct and all the soft- and hardware operating flawlessly, even beyond advertised capabilities. Including loitering a long time or fast turnarounds for the MiG-29, and every one of the six missiles hitting its target. Working 100%.

I’m sorry. But that to me seems too good to be true. However, as I said, I have no proof otherwise. So, the jury isn’t out yet. History proves that with every military conflict urban legends like these pop up, most of them not true at all. Adding to this is my personal half-a-century long study of airpower and its history, and I’m fairly convinced that the Ghost Of Kyiv is nothing but such an urban legend. But of course you can imagine that a story like this does appear to this aviation artist’s imagination.

“I Want To Believe”

Caption and Art by: Peter Van Stigt

Post shared by Pinoy Aviators

#AdminSABRE

Attachments